“Great Hotel! We will go back!”
Review of Hotel Helvetia

Hotel Helvetia
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I was very surprised to see all the negative reviews about this hotel. The location on Lido was great. All restaurants and the beach were in walking distance and Lido was not overcrowded with tourists. The staff was pleasant and courteous. Every time we had a question about restaurants or events on Lido they were helpful and responsive. The breakfast was not very good for our American tastes, but we decided to bring fresh rolls from the Billa supermarket across from the hotel. The quadruple room was pleasant, clean and quiet. The size of the room was not a big deal since we spent most of our time in Venice and at the beach. Overall we had a great vacation and would definitely go back to stay at Hotel Helvetia.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the stairs on each level are the quietest. Number 19,25, and 36 are the best.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Joan G

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Hotel is less than a minute from water taxis so great position, We stayed for three nights and would reccomend this hotel. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Me and my family of four stayed at Hotel Helvetia in a family room. This hotels idea of a family room is a double bed room with two folding beds cramped into the roome. The room was horrid, there was absolutaly no moving space, to get to a bed you have to crawl over another bed. We couldn't stand to stay in the room for long so we checked another double room for 80 euros. The hotel provided a continental breakfast, the breakfast was horrible, it had stale bread and cake. The pre-paid breakfast doesn't even cover all of the food, you have to pay 2 euros to get a yougurt and 4 euros for scrambled egg.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ayan D
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

When the clients book a room in our hotel, on whatever internet site they do it, it is written how many square meters each room category has, how many beds, and how many clients can enter the room. We cannot accept 7 family members in a room for 3, as certain clients pretend to and as was the case of this guest.
The breakfast in our hotel is a fine continental breakfast on a buffet basis that is delicious, complete and rich, as the majority of the guests have written here in their comments.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I'll start this review off by stating that I fully expect hotel management to disagree with any critiques that I have of this hotel and our stay that seem negative, given how other reviewers have been responded to. I would hope, however, that those reading this review consider my comments to be constructive criticism of the areas that could use improvement, and realize that I do list positive aspects of our stay as well and wish to provide a fair and balanced review of our experience with this hotel.

First, what drew me to this hotel was the great price that I was able to secure by booking far in advance. At the time, the hotel seemed to have very positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Like other reviewers who started to comment on this hotel more recently, although my reservation was for room only I was under the impression that it came with a continental breakfast given the wording on the website at the time of booking. I thought by 'room only', it meant that I was getting the continental breakfast, and I chose not to purchase any additions such as the buffet breakfast, fruit baskets or flowers in the room upon arrival. Having read reviews after I booked and leading up to my arrival I fully expected to encounter problems at check-in, and was not surprised when I was given the script of how I booked room only and it was to cost extra for breakfast. I was then told a price for a continental meal, and although I can't remember what it was anymore, I remember it being exceptionally expensive for what is to be included in continental. We didn't have a positive first impression after check-in, made to feel like we were expecting too much for so little, yet we had the evidence printed out with us on our booking that breakfast was included in ALL bookings made through their website. We instead went to nearby cafes for a fraction of the cost, or headed to the grocery store across the street to pick up fresh fruit before heading into Venice for a day of sightseeing. It should be noted that food in the rooms is strictly prohibited, a first-time encounter for us in our travels around Italy.

We arrived at our room, which was small. I fully expected this from the previous reviews, and since it was an economy I wasn't too surprised. This wasn't an issue for us since we spent very little time in our room anyways. If you have lots of luggage though, you may consider upgrading as it was difficult to even comfortably place two small suitcases and still maintain adequate walking room.

We noticed immediately that the bathroom light was not working. We tried it a few times, left the switch on for a few minutes thinking if it was energy efficient perhaps it was just taking a little bit to get going. No such luck. We went to the front desk and given a look like we were just making this up, and told that we would have to wait two hours for it to be investigated. There is no window in the washroom, nor was it positioned in a way that we could get adequate light to enter from the window in the room. Two hours to change a lightbulb seemed unreasonable, considering guests typically like to freshen up when arriving after a long day of travel. When we went back to the room from reception we tried the switch off and on a few more times while getting settled in, and suddenly it decided to work. We informed the front desk who made us feel like we were a huge inconvenience. Light switches would be difficult to improperly use and are the same in Italy as in Canada, so clearly there was a problem with the bulb and not us (it was most likely loose upon our arrival and something shifted causing it to suddenly work).

At this hotel you have to leave your key when you come and go, which we have encountered before. Typically not an issue but a few times we had to wait. One time, without yet stating our room number we were handed someone elses key. This had me concerned that someone could take advantage of this and would have access to our room while we were out. We never left valuables in our rooms because of this.

The hotel has a sign that if you dont need fresh towels and in the interests of being environmentally friendly leave them on the towel rack. We did this, having only used them once, and they were replaced anyways - except for the day they were taken and not replaced! We regretfully had to go down to reception and request towels. At this point we were feeling very unwelcome (by the tone and expression used when addressing us) and were not given an apology, just a comment that they would inform housekeeping.

Air conditioning had not yet been turned on, so we left the fan on and windows open so that we could return to a cool space. It was mid-May and already very hot out. On this day we had already returned once after housekeeping had been through, so there should have been no reason for someone to have entered our room at this point. The window was shut, including the shutter, and the fan was off when we entered. The room was hot and stuffy with no air cirulation, and took awhile to cool down. It's not my first time to Italy, and I have never encountered hotel staff coming in during the middle of the day to shut windows (on a sunny day with no forecast of rain, might I add) and to turn off fans when it is hot outside and no airconditioning is turned on.

This hotel does have many advantages working in its favour. It's within close proximity to the Vaporetto stop, from which it is a short waterbus ride to Venice (about 15 minutes to St. Marks square). We purchased the three day pass in advance online and received a discount, so transport was very cheap. Having stayed in Venice near St. Marks on a previous visit, I wanted a quiet place away from all the tourist commotion to return to at night. Lido was perfect for this and I would definately return to Lido again.

The rooms seemed clean, and as I commented on before the size of the room didn't matter to us and was expected. They have larger rooms on offer, so I appreciated the variety and the fact that they took budget travellers into consideration.

Overall, however, I would likely look elsewhere if I were to return to Venice or Lido. If I encountered another amazing deal for this hotel and other's weren't available, perhaps I would return, but only if no other options were available in my pricerange. It's not the worst place I have stayed: it's clean and close to transport options. But that is the extent of it. The way we were treated by staff throughout our stay made us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, and for this we would likely not return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Europe_Bound_2010

The client has written a few true facts about hotel: when you book a Room Only basis, the breakfast is not included. We do not agree though that our reception makes clients feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. It would not be in our interest. Our hotel is at full capacity of different guests everyday, the majority of the clients like our service. Unfortunately it happens that we host the guests who pretend to obtain what they have not paid for, and we too think they should not come back to our hotel because we are not the right place for them, whatever they go to write about us later.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Great location for staying on the Lido - couldn't fault it. But if you want to see the old Venice you will have to pay 6.50 Euros one way on the vaparetto (water bus) per person so for us, as a family of 4, it was about £50 for a day return from the LIDO to the island. However if you want a beach hol with the occassional visit to Venice centre then this hotel is perfect. The rooms were of ample size and clean. The hotel could do with some updating in terms of decor and didn't like being charged 2 euros for a yoghurt for breakfast and 2 euros for eggs ??
The hotel directed us to their beach which was a bus ride away and very quiet when we were there but that wasn't a bad thing at all. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Cozy, close to all important spots - the Lido beach and the vaporetto stop leading to Venice, very nice and professional staff who speak perfect English. The only downsides are the small rooms and tiny elevator. Another plus is Hosteria el Canton - a small restaurant and bar located just between the hotel and the vaporetto stop on the same side of the street - it is open from early in the morning until late at night and serves tasty pizzas and sandwiches at bargain prices.

Room Tip: If you would like more space, consider a superior room - the regular ones are quite small.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Excellent location in Lido just across from public transport/boat station where boats to Venice and airport stop, but that’s about all that is excellent. Hotel décor is very, very dated throughout. Our room was tiny, gloomy and very strangely shaped. It looked like the original layout didn’t include bathrooms so they had to take a good chunk of the rooms later to make them en-suit. Rooms are not quiet either. There is a lot of noise coming from the traffic outside or chatting and laughing of cleaning ladies every morning inside. Staff at the reception was pleasant, and rooms were cleaned daily.

Don’t go to the ‘hotel’ beach as its non existing. Hotel only has a deal with some private beach owner to promote his beach to the guests. That beach is good 20 min walk away and you still have to pay for the parasol and recliners. The closest beach to the hotel is a free public beach but is cramped with people, dirty and it has no natural shade. If you like wild beaches take a bus that stops just in front of the hotel and go to Pellestrina, lovely little fishermen’s island just west of Lido.

Restaurants around the hotel are nothing special and looked mainly like a tourist trap. If you can it’s better to go to Venice for dining out, especially around Cannaregio canal. We’ve found great little restaurant with tables on the canal there, that served local food.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jovana13
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

We would like to thank the client that he appreciated the cleanleness of his room and the kind and professional attitutde of our staff. Regarding the other remarks, in order to have bigger rooms one has to pay more, in order to enjoy the private beach one has to pay the private beach service, otherwise one goes to the public beach and enjoys his day on the public beach.
Best regards