“Avoid this Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Singapore, Singapore
“Avoid this Hotel”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and checked into this hotel on a Saturday night prior to a cruise out of Venice, with a booking to stay another night after the cruise. When we found the airconditioner not working, we checked with the front desk and was told that as it was September, there was no necessity for the airconditioner as we could sleep with the window opened and in any event, there is a ceiling fan in the room. The only problems were that there were noisy late night revellers passing under our window well till past 3 am and there was only 2 speeds for the fan - off or full-blast, which makes it as noisy as the passerbys. Furthermore, the staff is extremely curt and rude. So the next morning, I asked what was their cancellation policy and was informed that as long as I give at least 3 days notice, there will be no penalty for cancellation.

I then booked ourselves another hotel for the stay after the cruise. I then emailed the hotel to cancel our booking. The hotel emailed me back to say that I had booked through a booking agency, the cancellation must be done by the agency. I then asked the agency to cancel the booking. The booking agency subsequently emailed me to inform me that tried as they could, the hotel did not allow the cancellation, clearly different from what they informed me!

However, my wife and I were so turned off by this hotel that we decided to loose 1 night's money rather than go back to this hotel. It is that bad!

5 Thank Singaporean1206
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Singaporean1206,
Our reception still remembers you since during one night stay you have managed to produce such loud scenes in the hotel hall in front of other guests, that the street traffic compared to them is of minor acoustic disturbance. At 6pm you and your wife asked the aircondition and protested the ceiling fan "because of the heat" at the outside temperture of 19 C, and at 9pm you calleed the reception to ask for an extra blanket, since yuo were cold. We would like to suggest you that next time you decide to sleep in another hotel to respect the people at work and not to forget that reception and concierge in a hotel are people whose work is to serve guests, and not to be yelled at like unworthy beings like you did on them. Regarding your reservation, you booked a prepaid non refundable economic rate through an internet agent and the prepaid non refundable economic rates are not due to refund in case of cancellations/modification/no show or early departure.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Cute place, decent breakfast and rooms. The service was split between night and day, figuratively and literally. The blonde, female clerk working mornings was too wonderful for words! She was helpful and deserves a promotion or pay raise. The night shift clerks, were rude and unfriendly. They were people who talk about you and smirk at one another like you weren't 20 feet away and you didn't understand Italian. Yes, I understand. Wait until we're out of earshot.
Skull keys aren't used anymore for a reason. You better hope that there isn't a fire because by the time you get out of your bedroom (I heard our neighbors fumbling and cursing to get into their rooms) you probably would have been knocked out by carbon monoxide.
Finally, the hotel is in Lido. When we booked it through cheapoair, it stated that it was located in venice. Honestly, this wasn't too bad. Its bit out from venice, but the island is quiet and clean. Just a water bus away.
3 stars for the helpful female clerk, I would have given them 2. When you're on vacation, you shouldn't expect bad manners.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anonyom0us
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Anonymous,
When they change shifts our recepitonists speak with each other, and while you were sitting in the hall they did not talk about you but about what has remained to be done during the night. We are very proud of our staff who are serving so many guests during season with such a high professionality and ease that the majority of the guest is happy with.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here after a week-long cruise that finished in Venice. We booked a 'Superior Double' room which is advertised as being 25sq metres in space. It was very roomy indeed and the furniture looked nice (though I realise they weren't real antiques). I loved the matching curtains/bed cover/chairs, it was all in pink and very well appointed. The bathroom was actually huge, again I believe this is because we booked one of their Superior rooms. Shower was good though very loud, we could hear the neighbours use theirs a few minutes after my shower (I probably woke them up!). Staff kind and helpful, breakfast adequate though very much a true European 'continental-style' breakfast. I was not bothered about turning my room key in as staff were always there to return it. The location is superb, it is just a few steps away from the vaporetto stop and you really can not be more conveniently located than this. We asked for a recommendation for dinner, the suggestion was really not very good, so we were disappointed in that respect but we tried some of the other local places and were pleased with those instead. Finally, the only complaint I have about this location is that the room was specifically advertised as featuring air conditioning. However, you do not have any control over whether or not you run your air conditioner, it is a decision by the hotel, who had settled on 24C as being the 'magic number' (it was about 23C at the time!). Trust me, when you've dragged your luggage halfway around Venice in the blazing hot sun, telling me to 'open the windows' as a solution really does not sound appealing. However, we followed their suggestion, turned our squeaky ceiling fan on, and got the cooler air to circulate into the room. It did cool down but I would have preferred the use of the air conditioner which I felt I had paid for access to (it's like saying the room features a hair dryer but being told you can only use it if your hair is 95% damp or more... we were 1 degree off from it being 'necessary' to have the air conditioner on, it should have been an option in my opinion). In any case, this did not really detract from things although the squeaky ceiling fan did.

Room Tip: We specifically requested a room away from the front of the hotel to avoid the road traffic noise, t...
Clare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Staying on the Lido was not the best idea I'd ever had,as it was noisy until after 3 in the morning. However my main grouse was that the reception staff treated us like juvenile half-wits- e.g. we were told that every time we left the hotel- even if it was for 10 minutes-we had to hand our room key in. The reception area and lift were also liberally plastered with do's and dont's.Our room was adequate,but with elderly and charmless bits of furniture, and no drawer space at all.Two of the staff who manned reception from time-to-time were fine, the others were in great need of a visit to a charm school!Breakfast was average, but no better.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
2 Thank turtle9
Dear Turtle9,
We are sorry that you have not enjoyed your time in Venice, one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. Venice and Lido during summer are full of vibrant sounds because the city is full of guests, and Venice is a Mediterranean city with narrow streets, with the houses next to each other, so the sounds are more perceived and felt than in other places. It is a rule that every time you leave your room in a hotel, that you deposit it to a receptionist.

Travellers are raving about these Lido di Venezia hotels

Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed at the start of a cruise for 3 nights. For us located in a perfect place, on the Venice Lido less than a minute from the vaporetto terminal. Very clean hotel with comfortable beds. Our only critisism would be that the rooms are small (long but thin) with small bathrooms. We spent very little time in the hotel as we had a three day vaporetto pass and put it to good use visiting Burano and Murano as well as Venice of course. The centre of Venice is only 10 minutes away on the water bus. Supermarket opposite selling anything you could want. The Lido around the hotel has a host of restaurants and bars all at prices well below Venice itself. A litre of excellent house wine at 9 Euros a litre was our favorite to go with a Pizza that would not fit on the large plate. We found the hotel perfect for our needs at a reasonable price. Would stay again.

Room Tip: You can upgrade at not too dear a cost.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Realityracer
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Just returned from a four day stay at this hotel. The recent reviews had made us very apprehensive about our visit. We found a spotlessly clean hotel just yards from the vaporetto terminal. The rooms were small and the bathrooms tiny but everything was clean and fresh and the beds were very comfortable.The excellent air conditioning was a bonus as the temperatures were still around 30 degrees. The hotel was quiet and we found the staff friendly and efficient. The breakfasts were basic and lacked imagination but we were not charged extra for eggs or yogurts. I did hear one couple being told that these items cost extra but I can only reiterate that we were not asked to pay an additional charge. Prices for hotels in and around Venice are very expensive and this hotel represents very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Little pricey for what you get. I would book this atleast for the location. It's just 5-10 mins walk to the Lido beach and the locale is strewn with lots of hotels and grabbing something is very easy. The bathrooms were neat but too crampy. But it was decent and the reception people were very helpful and gave ideas to see places and stuff. So not a bad deal except for the cramped room and bath.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple