“The best place to stay when visiting Venice”
Review of Hotel Helvetia

Hotel Helvetia
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The Venice Lido, and particularly the Hotel Helvetia, is the best place to return back to after a hectic day in crowded Venice. The Hotel is always welcoming, and calm, and the little town is so pleasant to stroll around in the evening. There are lots of nice little cafes and restaurants, to suit all pockets, and the view across to St. Mark's Square is wonderful.
The vaporetto ride is only about 10 minutes across to near St, Mark's, or get off at Arsenale, and it is a lovely walk along the Riva.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pauline777Yorkshire
There are newer reviews for Hotel Helvetia

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Myself and my girlfriend went for a 4 night stay at Hotel Helvetia from 1st to the 5th July 2013 and I have nothing but good things to say, as everyone says its very close to the boat station and this is very helpful, after a long journey it was amazing to see the hotel straight away. We were met with an informative helpful welcome and given our keys. The hotel was very clean and tidy and the lift was clean and efficient, the room had all the mod cons, perfect aircon, a hairdryer, TV and great roller shutter that acted as a blackout curtain for nice lazy lie in's, I was impressed all the towels and soaps were all branded with the hotels name which was a nice touch. Its also in a great location for restaurants and the beach also the super market is just down the road. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We didn't need much help, but we say the helpful staff everyday talking and helping customer through many aspects of the island.
Thank you very much can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 51 and it was excellent
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 8 July 2013

An okay hotel for our stay -one night between cruise arrival and going home. We had a familyroom with aircondition. We had a late flight home and wanted to go to the beach after checkout time (11 a.m), and askedif we could take a shower after that. Then we had to rent a room for 100 euro...
The location is perfect between beach and waterbussarrival :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the rooms were clean, beds comfortable, the breakfasts were good and the staff courteous and helpful. The hotel is ideally placed for the Vaporetto station and an easy walk from the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel's location was fantastic. It wasn't far at all from the boat dock that takes you to-and-from the island to the mainland. Across the street are great little cafes for coffee, etc. The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly. The free continental breakfast was adequate and typical for an European continental breakfast ... cold meats, cheese, bread, etc. The rooms were very small but fine for us because we were only in our room for sleep. The bathroom was very tiny as well. The only complaints I have about the room are: 1. We requested a double bed and ended up with two single beds pushed together. This has happened to us before in European countries and we understand that it is typical style and were prepared for that. My complaint is that there were vacant 'regular' beds. It wasn't a deal breaker, though. We've learned to deal with them. 2. Upon leaving the hotel, I would open the windows to let in the fresh air and keep the room cool. Every time we came back, the window would be closed and the shades would be pulled down. I wasn't aware of the Venice Tax and was fine with it once it was explained upon check-in, but we weren't told that we would have to pay in cash. We had paid in advance with our credit card when we booked the hotel, so when we checked out, it was a hassle to find and ATM (it was down the road a bit) to withdraw money to pay the taxes in cash. Also, we had acquired other charges and had to pay those in cash as well, because it was under 50 euro. It was just inconvenient.

Room Tip: If you are not used to European style beds, be sure to really push and emphasize that you would like...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I had one of my worst hotel experiences at this hotel.

I arrived at the hotel on 14 September 2012 to book in to stay for 2 nights. When I gave my details at the counter, I was told that they had no record of me. I then produced a printout of my booking with a travel agency. Not only had I booked several months in advance, but I had already paid for the hotel as well.

I received no apology from the staff-member concerned. He told me that they would have to transfer me to another hotel. I noticed that there was at least one large tour booking into the hotel at the time. My bag stayed in the hotel lounge during the day. At least the person in charge had the grace to escort me to the other hotel, but it was a hassle because I had to come back to this hotel for breakfast and for the second night. What also concerned me was that I later talked to a lady who arranged her son's wedding in Venice and had a similar experience with there originally being a room short of the original booking.

This hotel seemed to have a problem with their reservations system. I also wondered if the person who originally served me was suited to working in the hospitality industry. I hope they have fixed their problems.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Dancin M
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear Dancin M.,
We never received your reservation, we warmly suggest you to contact the internet travel agent who booked for you and find the reason why they did not send your resrevation to the hotel. That is why we did not have the room for you when you wanted to check in. Once again we are sorry for the overbooking, but please take note that can happen in the 5 star hotels as well, and that our staff was very friendly to promptly solve your problem and assist you. We have checked our files and have seen that you have been allocated in a fine hotel in front of us for a night that has all the standards of of the same hotel category.
Best regards

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Location perfect,facilities very god,breakfast buffet very good,room was very clean and smell nice, the stuff was helpfull and kind. It was perfect. i ll stay again. the boat for venice is only 50 meter from this hotel and very close to the beach.very good choise to stay close to venice

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends