“Great Choice”

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
East Midlands
“Great Choice”
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Helvetia and were very pleased.
The rooms were quite small (typical of Venice even at more expensive hotels) but were very clean. Soap,towels were replaced every day.

Breakfast was really good with a great selection.

The bar was just across from reception and prices were very fair. A large whisky,I think, being E3.50.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel. It offers great value.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Darlington
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and myself went to Venice with our friends for 3 nights. Having looked at the prices of hotels on Venice Island we decided on the cheaper option of Venice Lido - what a great decision. The hotel is literally a 2 minute walk from the boat stop, just across the road.

The hotel staff were very friendly on arrival and showed us directly to our rooms. Our room was small but had a goodl view over to St Marks Square (we were on the 4th floor, room 57). The room was clean and tidy, just what you need for a short break.

The beach is only a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel, at the other end of the street. As it was early May when we visited it was quiet but I bet it would be very busy at the height of the season.

The hotel is situated on the main street street with plenty of bars and restaurants close by but still quiet on an evening. The nightlife was limited, bars closing around 11 p.m. but we did find a bar that was open until 2 a.m. (not that we stayed that late).

Staying on the Lido was an excellent decision as during the day you could get a ferry over to the hustle and bustle of Venice, packed with tourists and on an evening relax on the quiet Lido. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Venice - well worth the money - not 5 Star but it has everything needed for a City Break. The breakfast was included and consisted of ham, cheese, scrambled eggs and the usual breads and pastries. The orange juice is delicious. A great way to start the day.

Be prepared - take plenty of money as Venice is very very expensive - but the sights are worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank bubbles1612
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Very friendly place on the island of Lido (Venice night shelters). Ideal for individual tourists. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms very clean and functional. Good breakfast. The downside is very little parking. Generally OK. I recommend this hotel!

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 14 November 2009

We booked online at 40 Euro a night for a double room. When we arrived they said the CC had been declined. They were extremely rude, even after we discovered they had entered the expiry date incorrectly. They only had a more expensive room available (75 euro) and as it was late we had no option than to stay. The new room was actually two single beds not a double as they had stated.

When I asked them why they hadn't called me (as I had placed my phone number on the booking and even left a message saying we were on our way and would arrive at 9pm) the very rude man said "We don't waste money on phone calls to declined credit cards."

I was disgusted by their contempt of customers or potential customers.

If the service hadn't been so bad and the room a double as stated, it would have been fine... But instead, it was unpleasant.

Venice itself was stunning though... just the most beautfiul, haunting city... throw away the map and get lost away from the main tourist throng...

I would advise to stay on venice and pay a bit more.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank waveslave1080
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Helvetia Administration at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, 25 November 2009
Dear Sir or Madam,

We are sorry that the client staid in the hotel that he has considered awful.
The client booked a non-refundable rate and offered a credit card with a wrong date of expiry at the moment of booking. The non-refundable rate means the lowest price possible for a standard room, and the credit card is fully charged at the moment of booking. In case of low rates, as was this case, the hotel’s policy is not to call the client but to inform through an e-mail about eventual problems regarding the credit card. If the client does not answer, the booking is considered cancelled, as was in this case.
At the evening of the check in, the client appeared at the reception desk, and realized and acknowledged that it had been his mistake to have offered a wrong expiry date at the moment of booking. But the hotel was full, and the only remaining room was a street view twin superior room, and the client was escorted upstairs to see the room, and he agreed to pay the supplement when he came down to the reception desk.
Hotel Helvetia staff is never rude with its clients, on the contrary the hotel is historically well known for its care of the client, and we really do not understand why the client accepted to stay in the hotel if he did not like the reception welcome, it is the contrary to all our principles, why he accepted the twin bed room but wanted a queen size, and paid extra room and parking supplement. The client was even kindly suggested by our concierge to take a cheaper room version in any Gran Viale hotel – the street where our hotel is positioned – but the client wanted to pay all the extra supplements and to stay in Helvetia, and he even thanked the reception for the kindness.

Travellers are raving about these Lido di Venezia hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I thought the Hotel Helvetia was great value, especially when I later saw the much smaller rooms I had booked in Florence and Rome. I stayed in room 45, a single room on the third floor (there's an elevator) with a comfortable double bed, desk, armoire, and luggage stand/coat rack. The bathroom with shower was small but clean and modern. The hotel's laundry service is expensive but came in handy for getting my jeans washed and pressed (which cost 6 euros). The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, especially the two women who were there in the daytime. The breakfast buffet is generous, and when I had to leave before 7:00 a.m. on my last day, the desk arranged for me to be able to grab a quick cappuccino and roll before going. The hotel is a few steps from the vaporetto stop, and boats come by frequently. On the main street the hotel faces, I had no luck finding a decent restaurant that wasn't a tourist trap. I had better luck going down one of the side streets, where more of the locals eat and shop, or you can find more options in the main part of Venice and then take the boat back to Lido. Everything else is very handy to the hotel--the supermarket up the street a bit, the post office around the back, and tobacco stands across the street selling stamps and everything else. All in all, I really liked the hotel and the location.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank kclaudia
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I stayed for 5 nights at the start of October. My room, number 52, was relatively small but comfortable and did the trick. The only problem I had, was a large green shutter over the outside of my window that I couldn't prop up, so I didn't have much of a view! Very odd. The windows were also single glazed, so noise from outside could be easily heard.

My bathroom was brilliant (although, who still uses a bidet?!) and the shower was superb. The TV had limited channels (and I had to stand on a chair to change channels - no remote) with only one English speaking one, CNN, but fine. The island of Lido itself is just a short boat ride away from Venice, and the boats are very frequent. Every 10 minutes or so. And Hotel Helvetia is just a 2 minute walk from the boats. The beach is probably a 10 minute walk away, up the main high street, and is very pretty and clean. Not at all busy!

The hotel was great value and in a fantastic location - I'm glad I didn't pay extortionate prices to stay in the centre of Venice; I'm much happier that I chose Hotel Helvetia. My only complaint, is that the cleaners are very noisy in the morning, as were the other guests (throughout the night as well..obviously not the hotel's fault really) and I could hear everything. The walls aren't thick - every time a phone rang in someone else's room, it woke me up, and I'm not a light sleeper. I suppose this is a small price to pay though for the excellent value and good customer service.

There was no internet or wi-fi here, but the hotel across the road let me use their computers in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Management at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, 12 December 2009
Dear Clients,
We always recommend while booking to carefully select the room type you book at Helvetia. Rooms with street view can of course be noisy because Helvetia sits on the main bouleveard: you will be pleasantly surprised by sounds of passers by and Lagoon colours from your window or balcony, or enjoy the night waterbus echoes until late in the night: but if you want to sleep from 8pm, we do not suggest you to take corner street rooms. These rooms are for more jejune type of clients. We suggest you garden view rooms, backside cortyouard view rooms, or top floor Lagoon view rooms.
Helvetia Management
Wales
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The Hotel Helvetia is just a short distance from the water bus stop so it is easy to reach St Marks Square. Our room, number 33, was very compact. There was very little room to move in the bathroom and the toilet was only inches from the wall. The walls seemed very thin as we could hear lots of sounds from the next room. The room was very clean and fine for a short stay. Breakfast was adequate. I agree with previous comments about the coffee, I couldn't drink it. I would recommend the hotel as a good value base to anyone wanting to explore Venice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple