“Average...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
London, United Kingdom
“Average...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked the Superior Double Room expecting something substantial from looking at the photos but was very disappointed when we arrived to find a pokey little room. Decoration was fine, except from a cobweb full of spider eggs in the corner of the wall. No kettle provided so you either have to pay more to have breakfast in the hotel or walk a short distance to the local cafe. The bathroom was ok but with a TINY shower cubicle, and we could hear a pigeon hooting away through the air vent for the duration of the stay.
Staff were very friendly, however and always willing to help out. Location was perfect for Lido, being close to the main (and as far as we could work out, the only) street with bars and (below-par) restaurants. Overall, just an average stay really. I'd recommend for short stays only (2-3 nights max.)

Room Tip: Don't bother booking the superior room. Take a kettle if you want a coffee in the morning/eveni...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank matttaylor91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I've stayed on the Lido in the past, especially during the high season - it's close to the main part of Venice but also has beaches. This was my first time staying there in the low season, and found some great deals that made it possible to have a great budget trip to Venice.

The hotel is on a quiet street just a block behind the Grand Viale (which is where the boat docks are located) - it's a very easy walk making transfers to/from the airport and visits to other islands in the Lagoon simple. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

The room itself was fairly small, but much nicer than some other hotels I've stayed in nearby - everything has been updated recently. Beds extremely firm, not surprising for Italy. Bathroom was a decent size, but the layout could have been a bit better. Very clean and comfortable overall.

Room Tip: Top floor has rooms with angled ceiling due to the roof line - if you're tall, try to get anothe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lat28
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in a family room for four in October 2013. The hotel staff went out of their way to help and ensure all went well, despite a small problem with mosquitoes! They were happy for us to change rooms mid stay. We all really enjoyed being on the Lido, as you feel much more as though you are staying in a Venetian community, and can enjoy a 20 minute vaporetto ride morning and evening to get to / from the main island / San Marco etc. When I go back to Venice I will rebook the Pannonia.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jake D
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a hotel, about 20 rooms, but it offers a lot. Quiet, clean room. Good bed, though 10cm extra length would have made it even better. The bathroom is crowded, shower, toilet, bidet, washbasin and a door opening to the inside. We didn't watch tv, so I can't tell if there is a choice of foreign channels. Safe, minibar are present. The safe indicated several times that I had entered a wrong number, and the concierge had to use the secret code to open it (which I did use twice for recurring wrong code messages). The staff is very friendly. Everybody knew my room number after a few days, so I didn't have to mention that at the breakfast/bar/lobby visits. We got only one keycard, which can be a bit troublesome when you want to enter the room and your partner is taking a shower. You can choose between no breakfast, a 5€ juice/coffee/croissant+chocolate and raisin bread, or a European breakfast with a choice of cheese. cold cuts, cooked egg, joghurt, fresh fruit etc for 12 €. But no fried eggs, bacon, pancakes and the likes. Saved me some weight after a 6 night stay ;-)
I wanted to rate this hotel with 5 stars, but after reviewing my own report decided to make it 4. All the downsides mentioned didn't bother me at all, that is the charm of this place. Next time I am in Venice I will definitely consider staying here again. You have to realize that this hotel is on the Lido island, and it takes a waterbus or -taxi to go to the tourist part of Venice. But when you have your business on the Lido, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

If you do a bit of homework, I am sure you can find better/similar hotels at a lesser price in Lido. For me, 170 Euro per night was a bit overpriced when we saw the room and that the room wasn't equipped with basic kettle, tea and coffee. Is it me, or is it that all of Italy is like that? I would have understood if we paid like 70-80 euros per night and not provided those, as you would make a bit of money from the drinks. But with this amount, this is at least what I should expect. And not that we had the view of Venice canals anyway!

TIp 1: unrelated to this hotel spec: Its literally 5 mins walk to the hotel, don't take the taxi. As we arrived at 6pm and wanting to check in quickly, so that we can go out for our dinner, we took a cab and I then noticed minimum charge on the cab (this is the white cab, official) is 11.50. And he drove 1 min, and the charge came to 15 Euro. The hotel manager did give instructions on how to get there, but we didnt want to delay, so took the cab and regretted later. Wished the driver at least advised us that we were not far off.

Tip 2: If you arrive at Venize train station, closest water-boat bus is Ferroiva. But 5 mins from the station is another station called PI Roma. If you take waterbus from there, it takes 30 mins to Lido (with few stops) - but if you take from Ferroiva, it takes 44 mins with that boat stopping every single stops (20 stops I think)

Large room and OKish. We didnt go WOW to it. If you book a hotel with view of Tower Bridge, you pay 150 quid, and you go WOW. no wow factor on this.

We were lucky not to choose the buffet breakfast as it was the same food everyday with 4 different meat variation for your sandwich, with cheese, juices, fruit etc...and thats 12 euros. We chose the quick breakie at 5 euros, which gives you 3 different croissants, drink of your choice and a juice.

Whilst the internet is provided, it was annoying that as soon as you close your device, it disconnects the connection to their authentication unit. so you have to put username and password again, per device. I dont understand...all they need to do is, to put wifi and one username and password with no time outs. Makes matter less complicated.

Its a little island on its own - so not so overcrowded. Has some nice restaurants - Al Do Mati is a place to eat for sure! And its about 20 mins to San Marco square. Again, there are fast boats.

Staff are friendly though - so at least something on that.

But will I stay here again? Yes, if its 120 Euro or less. No if its for 170.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

After agonizing for weeks trying to find the "perfect" hotel or B&B in San Marco, I randomly found the Pannonia. Based on the reviews and great price, I booked it immediately for 3 nghts. It was absolutely perfect: clean rooms, great water pressure in the shower, friendly/helpful staff, and close to good restaurants. The hotel offers a nice full breakfast for 12 euros or 5 euros for the basic breakfast, but we opted to do our own thing.

It was really nice to get away from the very busy tourist areas of Venice, knowing we were coming "home" to a much more open and laid back Lido. We arrived by Alilaguna from the airport (blue line) And then it was about a 5 minute walk to the hotel. To get to Venice (San Marco stop), it was about 10 minutes on Line 1 and we took Line 5.2 to the train station when we left. Overall, it was a great way to begin our Italy vacation and I'm so glad we decided on Lido instead of the more hectic San Marco.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alternet80
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I would love to write a positive review for this hotel, as there was much about it that was good. Breakfast good, staff friendly, room clean....Unfortunately i had some earrings stolen from the room, presumably by one of the cleaners, I dont have a doubt about this as i took them off on the first night we were there and never saw them again, despite searching high and low and also asking the hotel to look out for them. Disappointing.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple