“Wonderful building, good place to stay”
Review of Villa Delle Palme

Villa Delle Palme
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 16 April 2009

To my mind Villa delle Palma provides good accommodation at an excellent price. The hotel is in a grand house complete with tower which you can climb.
There are always pros and cons in staying outside Venice itself but for us the Lido provided a break from the melee of Venice. My room although smallish had a balcony which was great for sitting out. My friends room was considerably larger but no balcony - you take your pick.
Can't really fault it, the staff were excellent and helpful. It is only a 5 minute walk from the port.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1gruesome

Reviewed 25 November 2008

The wife, our three young kids and myself stayed here for a couple of nights and found it friendly, charming and very helpful from our initial email enquiries to leaving with a smile on our face.
Breakfast was fine. our room comfortable and clean - important with three young children and the staff always courteous and willing to help.
The location was great - just a 5 minute walk from the Lido water bus and close to a few good restaurants and the main shopping area.
Views were great from the viewing terrace - kids loved that.
No real gripes - OK the bathroom wasn't cavernous but perfectly acceptable for our family of five and we were hard pushed to find anything that could accommodate all of us in one room in Venice.
Easily a good recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Familyman142
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My husband and I were in Venice for a week for performances, and decided to cap off the trip with 2 days in Lido to celebrate our anniversary. We were quite pleased with this hotel -- for starters, the staff was very friendly and helpful, especially at the front desk and breakfast room. We loved the rooftop terrace and our room came with its own private balcony as well. Those on here who complained about the smallness of the bathrooms (in general) probably have never been to Europe before. We loved the quiet area which was so close to downtown Lido, and really enjoyed strolling the streets, The concierge even recommended a restaurant for us and booked the cab as well, which was great. The breakfasts were really nice and the eating room quite pleasant. We were totally satisfied with out stay and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Finnatic
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I have stayed in Villa delle Palme last week-end, and must say that I was somewhat disappointed...I was very confident when I made the reservation, because of the various good reviews I read here, however there are two aspects of Villa delle Palme I did not enjoy.
First let me say that it is truw that the hotel is located in a quiet place, near to the Vaporetto stop, the room we had was indeed clean, and the size was ok. One thing which was not specified in the bookng was that the "standard" double room we booked was not "standard", since it had a bathroom for people with special needs, which made it less confortable for us to use...I asked for a room change but it was obviously impossible, because the hotel was fully booked, so the receptionist told us. The breakfast is another negative point: we arrived at 9.40, serving stopped at 10.30 on Sunday, when we got there (we weren't the last guests), the bread had finished, there 2 slices left of salami and cheese for the savoury things, and only a couple of croissants. We asked the only person who was doing the breakfast service for some bread, she first said she was sorry but they didn't have any anymore. When we clearly showed big disappointment and surprise (well maybe indignation), she asked for a few minutes, after that she came back with 4 small panini, which had gone from freezer to oven. In the meantime another couple of guests had arrived, and decided to recycle coffee, tea, and even a croissant leftover from other tables, since noone was there to attend them! They definitely need more people to work there, and more food for breakfast, where the overall choice was rather limited. Considering the prices in Venice, what we paid (80€ for 1 night) was still ok, but I was disappointed...and think the ranking here is way too high!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Radiolina
Reviewed 31 October 2008

We booked here for a long weekend for my girlfriends birthday. They seemed very helpful to upgrade us to the best room available when explained it was a special occasion.

However, for the amount we spent (145 Euro a night) the hotel and service was a huge disappointment. We saw some feedback from others that it was quite noisy from other rooms and staff, especially on the ground floor, so we specifically asked for a 1st floor room – this doesn’t make a difference by the way –their website says soundproof walls – that is definitely not the case - so if you enjoy listening to other peoples conversations and them going to the toilet then this is the hotel for you!

The room was small and the bathroom even smaller – sorry, a bathroom implies there is a bath – there isn’t – there is a shower of which I have seen better quality in a YMCA! (Remember we are supposed to be in their best room available!) When we asked for an iron in the morning, we were advised for health and safety they do not have them (OK, fine) so to leave them on the bed. When we said we needed to iron the clothes we wanted to wear that day they were very grumpy and said to bring them down and they would get them done. We then left a couple of items on our beds for our evening clothes. On return they were done – great! On checking out however, we had been charged 18Euro for ironing – when we complained about this and said they should have told us there would be a charge, their response was we should have asked and everywhere in Europe is the same!!!!!

For breakfast we had to wait for a table – in the end it took so long, we went back to our room and came down later. The breakfast was not very good at all – if you like cold boiled eggs – you will be fine! Their entry card system that worked the door and the electricity inside seemed to have a mind of its own and would intermittently start and stop working. The website says satellite TV – this is a little misleading, as the only English speaking channel available was CNN – great, just what you want to chill out to, depressing news over and over again on the credit crunch!

Venice is amazing – beautiful – my advice, try and pay a little more – or find a better 3 star hotel somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dissapointed_00
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at the hotel in October but our three night stay was immediately shortened to two nights as even though we'd booked and confirmed our stay through easytobook.com I got a separate email from the hotel management to say that they were fully booked for our first night but that they had been able to book us into a similar hotel across the road. When we arrived we were disappointed to see that the hotel opposite was by no means as nice as the villa del palme and although we paid the same amount per night we were offered the parking for free which saved us 15 euros i think! Small consolation really! When we finally got into the villa itself we found the rooms small but clean and the bathroom absolutely tiny - the last reviewer is right; in the shower you cannot bend down to pick up the soap or you open the door! The breakfast/dining area was incredibly small too and the continental brekkie just OK - this hotel was obviously someones house originally. Saying that overall it is a nice and clean hotel, perfect location as a very short walk to the ferrys and amazing views from the rooftop of the whole of venice across the bay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I regret the moment I’ve made my rezervation in this hotel.
Although I am pretty sure that it was a four star hotel at the time I’ve made my rezervation, It was in fact a 3 star hotel.
No problem.
NOt very clean in the public places, but the rooms where pretty clean.
First night..their mistake, I was given another room. In fact it was a superior Quad room. A small bathroom, underground, some bad smell...
I hoped the next 4 nights would be better.
Next day...Here it is! The SUPERIOR DOUBLE ROOM. In fact,a 12-15 sqm room, with a huge terrace...and an even SMALLER BATHROOM. The smallest bathroom I’Ve EVER SEEN! The shower cabina is about 80/80 cm!!! I dropped my soap and i had to open the door to bend because there was NO PLACE!!!
Ok...no pb again!
I was asked about 165 EURO/night. As it was supposed to be a special moment for me and my girlfriend (a marriage proposal) I tried to forget all these.
Second day..I buy some credit for the wireless internet.
The first page I’ve seen...Villa delle Palme’s webpage.
BIG SURPRISE!!!! MY ROOM WAS 85 EUROS/NIGHT!!!! I think it’s quite an amount of money for 5 days, isn’t it? I asked another Romanian couple which I met at the hotel. Their price was 85 EUROS/night.
I’ve tried to handle this situation with the hotel manager. Without success. He tried to convince me that it was my blame that I’d made my rezervations one month before!! I’ve left my room next day and I checked in at another hotel in LIDO, 3 star rated, for 90EUROS/NIGHT.

Stayed: September 2008