“venice”
Review of Hotel Villa Cipro

Hotel Villa Cipro
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 16 January 2013

lovely hotel, basic but clean and very friendly staff. A lot cheaper than staying in venice and only a short water bus ride away. He Lido where the hotel is situated is where a lot of the residents of venice live, was lovely to get a real feel for the place.

Room Tip: sorry no swimming pool entered by mistake
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justina H

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I don't understand the good reviews! This is the first time in years of travel to Europe that I have been so mislead by previous guest comments. We checked in and checked out in an hour.

This is, by far, the worst hotel we' ve ever seen. We were in Venice for the film festival so I'm sure that the rate is higher that it might have been but here's what we would have gotten for $350 euro a night:

1) A rude, inattentive and careless reception desk. When we arrived the girl was on a personal call (I speak Italian so I could tell) and told us out of the corner of her mouth she'd be right back, only to return 10 minutes later. There were a dozen keys on the desk and when guests were coming in they were left to fish around to find their own keys (and it didn't seem very secure). She returned and led us to our room without helping us with our luggage. When I asked about the wi-fi she said it was down and didn't have any idea when it would be up again. I had called weeks in advance for assurance that there would be wi-fi because my husband and I needed to work there.
2) The room had an over powering smell of bleach and when one of my dresses dropped off the hanger it was ruined with a bleach stain.
3) Our shower was broken and the girl at reception told me she had no idea when it could be fixed. ("Can't you see how busy I am?" she asked me.)
4) The bath towels were nothing more than bidet towels.
5) Our room was in the basement and had very little light. It was dismal and depressing.
We were scheduled to spend a week there but for the first time in my life I left a hotel the first day I checked in. We couldn't possibly have spent a week there. Really terrible. We left and spent a little more to get a room in one of the nicest hotels in Venice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank iloveitalianmovies
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked our room at this hotel through Hotels.com for a triple occupancy room for myself, my husband and our 4 year old son. On arrival our room was a normal double bed room with nowhere for our son who had to sleep with us for our 2 night stay. The staff made no apologies and did nothing to to try to help or make us more comfortable or change our room. At the end of our stay as we handed in our keys, the manager treated us like theives trying to get away without paying. She did not ask us if had enjoyed our stay or make any apologies for the mess up over our booking. Instead she started shouting that before we left we needed to pay for the breakfasts for our son. We had thought that as we did not get the room type we had booked we would not be charged any extras for our son (who only had a glass of milk and some bread for the 2 mornings we were there). We were charged 16 euros for his breakfasts. But it was the way we were treated that really shocked us. We will never stay in this hotel again and we have made a complaint about this to Hotels.com. ps be aware also that this hotel do not provide normal towels - instead they have what I can only describe as towel sized napkins (thin cotton) which we did not like at all.

Room Tip: Speak to the hotel directly and get them to confirm your room type etc.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Claudia_H655
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Good location in Lido. Staff were friendly enough although it was a bit difficult to communicate as only one of the three staff we dealt with spoke English. Disappointed that they charge for wifi.. Should be included in the price. Water bus gets a little pricey, we bought a 72 hour pass for 32 euros but still had to buy a one way pass the morning we left because it had run out the night before. Not a fan of the thin sheet type towels or the half glass used as a shower curtain, but common in Italy. Didn't find hotel that clean. We enjoyed being on an island away from Venice because it was nice to have some quiet and not have everything over priced in Lido. Comfortable enough hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't want to spend 6.50 euro every time you want to go in to Venice, then stay right in...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brittany B
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here during Carnivale in 2012, at which we had an absolute bast. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the boat station on Lido, from which it is a 15 minute ride to St. Mark's square in Venice. The hotel also has a great location on Lido, near the shops and restaurants on one of the main streets on Lido, and also near a 10 minute walk to the beach on the other side of Lido (which was good for a stroll, if not for a swim, during our stay).

The room's themselves were very clean, simple, and comfortable. The beds were large (180cm?), and firm, with memory foam mattresses. When we first arrived, Venice was very cold, around -4 or-5 C,and our room was also very cold. But everything warmed up over the course of our 6 night stay.

There is a very pleasant breakfast room where one can revive themselves. The hotel is generous with their continental breakfast, and we had to remember to save our appetite for Venice!

Last but not least, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We would definitely recommend the hotel to others!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Hotel Villa Cipro is located on The Lido, a quick vaporetto ride from anywhere in Venice. The Lido is quite charming, showing another dimension of Venice. It is very tranquil This was my second trip to Venice and the second time I stayed on The Lido. The hotel was quite nice. The staff was friendly. Our room was perfect, with all the required amenities. The breakfast buffet was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Malibured3
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We chose this hotel as we wanted to be close to Venice but also needed somewhere we could put our car. This hotel offered free car parking. Having travelled around most of Italy over many years staying in budget and not so budget hotels, I have learned not to expect too much of Italian accommodation. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Hotel Villa Cipro. The hotel was located in a lovely quiet location near the main street of Lido. The reception staff were very helpful and I found the rooms lovely, clean, with great beds and all the required amenities. The breakfast was also very good with a range of food to choose from at the buffet - the breakfast ladies provided excellent service. In comparison to many other breakfasts I have had in Italy, I thought this one was very good. The hotel has a lovely personality and I was surprised that it had so few stars. We chose this location and knew it would require travelling on the vaporetto to the centre of Venice, however, it was easy and no further than it would take to travel from the mainland to some other areas in Venice. I have stayed in Canneregio before but I felt this was a better location especially to visit places like, Murano, Burano and Torcello. I loved coming back to Lido at the end of a long day in the centre of Venice as it was so much less busy and more peaceful. I have been to Venice four times and have stayed in a variety of areas and I would highly recommend staying in Lido and especially at this hotel. As to comments in the other reviews in regards to the English level of the reception staff, I felt all the staff at the hotel spoke good English. After all we were in Italy and the fact that the Italians made an effort to speak our native language – we should be very grateful, maybe we mono-lingual people need to make more of an effort to learn the languages of the countries we are visiting.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple