“We'll be back”

Clark House on Hayden Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hayden Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2013

On a road trip with my husband, Mom and sister....this was our first stop....could not have started our trip in a better way.....we had the gourmet pkg(excellent value... complimentary glass of wine on arrival, 3 course dinner and breakfast included).....Lovely, clean rooms, friendly greeting and they were very good about accomodating food allergies.....Staff are proffessional and engaging....it was a pleasure to wander through the house and grounds....next time we will stay longer......

Room Tip: Be careful of the king bed in the Cedar Room....it's ornate feet will get in the way as you walk...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn H

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in this bed and breakfast several years ago, and it was beautiful. It is even more lovely now, and clearly the long-time owners take great pride in their ongoing renovations. There is nothing to fault in the facility itself. We went for a special occasion dinner and sat indoors, which was delightful as we could hear the terrific piano bar show at enough of a distance that we could still chat easily.

The dinner menu was limited (one soup, one salad, 3 entrees, one dessert) indoors, but the patio offers a much broader menu. The food was good if unremarkable, and on the expensive side for value received. The wine list was marginal. The bottle we chose was the only one available so the second bottle we ordered was "upsold" by waitress recommendation to another brand, which was unsatisfactory. it was poured anyway because my guests were too polite to complain -- I did express my dissatisfaction, but was ignored. Overall, the problem was that waitress was completely disinterested in providing service to match the rest of the experience -- not surprisingly, the gratuity was built into the check so there was zero incentive for her to give us the time of day, much less the 2nd cup of coffee I had to track down at the hostess station.

If you go to the Clark House for dinner, stick with the fun atmosphere and lower prices of the piano bar.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I came here to celebrate our first anniversary last year and 2nd this year. Beautiful getaway with welcoming service, an enjoyable charming atmosphere, delicious food, and unbeatable entertainment with Ron at the piano bar in the summer time. To get started on a good note, check in includes a glass of wine for each of us. A table is reserved for dinner, and then again at 9am for a delicious breakfast. Drinks and meals are the piano bar are reasonably priced. Beautiful lake views as well!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mleblanc50
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I came to Clark House initially because of Ron Pass--a really impressive and talented musician, singer and entertainer who performs there during the summer, and who we hadn't seen for a while. We're from Baltimore and we had never been to Idaho before, so we went there.
We were postively blown away at how good this B&B is, we've been to many before and none of them are even in the same league. I'm not embellishing here--look at the pics. The prices are totally reasonable, Hayden lake out front is gorgeous and northern Idaho in general (Coeur D'Alene, Sandpoint, etc) surprised us by the amount of artisans, flowers on the street lamps, etc.
Clark House has a long and big history in Idaho--check it out--but what the current owners have done with this beautiful old property is amazing. The interior walls are all beautifully painted, the antique furnishings and statues complement this, it's like the opulence of some Edwardian mansion in England.
But even more--the rooms and suites, the attentive service of the staff and the five star included breakfasts (try to find better, you won't)...okay I'm gushing but it's all totally true. To put it plainly, we'll travel from Baltimore next year to northern Idaho to stay at the Clark House a lot longer.
And Ron Pass is a definite 'must see' in this intimate and extraordinary setting. Guests and folks from the area come to see him several nights a week during the summer.
There's good WiFi with three spots (hang out outside in the morning and do your stuff),
and there's no TV's. Yeah, you need TV's here like a fish needs a bicycle.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This B&B is not your average Bed and Breakfast. We were pampered from the time we stepped in the door. The place is gorgeous! The food is delectable. And the staff treats you like royalty. One evening, I was relaxing in my room when I heard a newborn baby softly crying. I couldn't help myself. I opened the door to the dim lighted hallway and was overwhelmed by the incredible aroma of what smelled like a home cooked pot roast. I'm sure it was something gourmet but whatever it was, it smelled incredible. There was a soft glow of light coming from downstairs. The muffled clanking of silverware and light conversation combined with an occasional newborn cry reminded me of Thanksgiving at Grandma's house. I will never forget that moment. It felt like the house was alive with love and family. I was so comfortable here. I would go back for the artwork on the walls alone but there is so much more to this spectacular mansion. If you visit the Clark House, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I whole heartedly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast and although I was on a business trip when I made the reservation it was to be my last night before retuning home. Unfortunately my trip was extended so I did not get the time I wanted to explore the beauty of this home. Colby and the staff went out of thier way to make me feel at home and comfortable, The dinner was absolutely exquisite! Much to my regret I did not get to stay for breakfast (work got in the way!) but it was a lovely experience and I would definitely come back when I had more time to relax and explore the grounds as well as the library.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies looked wonderful overlooking the lake and relaxing in the cool lake air...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I just completed my annual trip to Clark House Bed and Breakfast in Hayden Lake, Idaho. My stays continue to get better with each visit. Colby and the staff are really great. It was nice to return and have the staff remember my name. Kevin and the kitchen staff continue to do wonders with food. Breakfast is a daily surprise and the Piano Bar appetizers are exciting. My favorite is the Sesame Covered Seared Ahi in the Piano Bar. I stayed in the Honeysuckle Suite--a large many windowed room with a view of the lake and the East lawn where I watched a doe and her fawns play early each morning. My balcony was large and was great to have my morning coffee and read the paper online. The highlight of my visit was a reunion with Ron Pass who plays in the Piano Bar. I love to watch an entertainer enjoy entertaining. And this young man does that very thing. A group of friends and I have already made plans to return next July 30th.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Been to Clark House on Hayden Lake? Share your experiences!