“I cannot imagine a more magical, peaceful retreat than the Clark House.”

Clark House on Hayden Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hayden Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed at the Clark House for two nights in late July and, while we had heard good reviews, never expected it to exceed everything we had read. From the beautiful gounds, to the perfectly restored home and gourmet food, this was by far one of the wonderful places we have ever visited. And the service was superb as well. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make sure we had everything we could possibly want. If you're looking for a slice of romantic heaven, this is the place you need to be.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemFinder081

Reviewed 24 June 2010

Please see my blog post about our experience, with lots of photos and Chef Kevin's recipe for Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup), at There's a Newf in My Soup!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I'm not a big fan of B & B's - they are too irregular, and as I get older and less adventurous I feel it's a waste to spend money and a good night's sleep in an unpredictable environment. However, my last two B & B's - Lolo Hale (reviewed in TA) and Clark House - have almost changed my mind about this type of lodging. Our stay, though in the smallest room of the house, was remarkable.

Clark House was nearly perfect. The essentials were all in place - it was spotless, comfortable, and the host was very cordial and welcoming. The extras were all there also - the setting on Hayden Lake was serene and beautiful, the decor was tasteful, even charming, and the food must have been remarkable. About the food - we were unable to get reservations (warned in advance, but not heeded by me) as the beautiful dining rooms were full with other guests, many whom appeared to be repeat diners from the local area. We unfortunately missed breakfast also due to an early departure, but the host kindly packed us a boxed breakfast and had some very good coffee at hand as well. There were other small things that I appreciated about Clark House. It was quiet - though at maximum occupancy the walls and floors seem well insulated and we did not hear other guests. It did not smell musty and rank as older houses often do. It had adequate heating and cooling. It had a small "guest pantry" with refrigerator/freezer, tea and coffee service. There were a few small private seating areas on the porch, lawn, and back garden area as well as a board games/ library area. There was a bar with good wine and (I think apertifs) available. There is complimentary wifi.

The few drawbacks - though with a wonderful lake view and expansive garden area, there is no direct lake access as the house is across the road from Hayden Lake with another house at lakefront. I don't recall a television if that is important to you. I also think that while children might be welcomed/tolerated, it would not be the best place for energetic youngsters to hang out (I have 3, I should know). However, even with those drawbacks, my spouse and I are still planning our next visit to Clark House, and this time we'll make dinner reservations!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We stayed at the Clark House in early September 2007. It's situated right on Hayden Lake, about 10 miles north of Coeur d'Alene. The inn is beautiful and well-maintained, with lots of space inside and out to sit around and enjoy the view. We stayed in Teddy's Room, which was large and well appointed, with windows on two sides looking out over the lake. The breakfasts were marvelous, and they scurried right in and cleaned the room while we had breakfast. We had dinner there one night, which was a little pricy, but well worth it. It was a six-course gourmet meal with a choice of three different entrees for about $55 each, and it was an experience I won't soon forget. The service was outstanding, and every single course was heavenly! They had taken down information when we made the reservation and made adjustments to the menu to accommodate my allergies. (Make reservations, as they only have six tables.)

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Judi M
Reviewed 27 July 2007

After much review of information here on the Coeur D'Alene region of Idaho, I happened upon mention of the Clark House. What a find! The Clark House is a nice-sized country inn in a former mansion overlooking Hayden Lake. They have ten rooms - five suites and five rooms. Prices range from $125 - $250 per night. We stayed in the smallest rooms (Sewing, Nanny), both on the air-conditioned third floor, over the course of ten days. They were everything we needed, each nicely decorated, clean, with its own private bath. One looked over the lake and the other had views of the back garden and forest. I peeked in at a few of the suites and they were nice. I think one has its own private balcony.

The Clark House is known for its five course dinners - which we found to be only mediocre - but the daily breakfast (included) served on a patio overlooking the back garden was consistently excellent. Elegant crepes, delicious French Toast, omeletes - each served with fruit, a breakfast meat, yogurt and granola, juice, etc. In July, the doors to the Inn were thrown wide open with breezes flowing through the tastefully appointed central hall which was filled with the voice of Pavarotti. It was really idealic.

We used the House as a base for exploring the incredible natural beauty of the area and for playing the renowned golf courses in the area. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travel4biz
Reviewed 7 July 2006

the clark house is a wonderful b and b (more like a inn) in hayden lake which is an easy 20 minute drive from coer d lane.

everything here is first rate. very quiet, great breakfast, wonderfull people.

if you are looking for a first class mansion not in the noisy environment of coer d lane, but close enough to experience it, then the clark house is for you.

not suitable for guests with small children or guests with pets

4  Thank tandm

Been to Clark House on Hayden Lake? Share your experiences!