“Wide angle expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wide angle expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We visited The Springs last December for the first time. Although it is a beautiful location, I think my first impression was how much smaller it seemed in person. The photos on their web site obviously taken with a wide angle lens. The lobby is lovely, well decorated and has a cozy fireplace. We arrived late afternoon, and I was happy to see that it was not overly crowded. (Although by the time we left, about two hours later, the pool was quite crowded).The dressing rooms were very nice, but they were smaller than the images portrayed. I can see how it could be a bit crowded if they were at full capacity. The lockers are nice and big which is a plus when you are wearing layers of winter clothing. We used the sauna, and both pools. I think everyone in our party enjoyed the outing. It is a lovely setting, and I imagine it would be quite romantic sitting under the stars. My one disappointment was the claim made on their website about a warm heated pool deck. I don't know if it was broken, or just not running, but I was looking forward to that particular aspect of the pool. In summary, we were pleased with the new Springs, and definitely will return - I'll just bring a pair of thongs for my cold feet :)

Visited December 2013

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A work in progress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Have been coming to the location since the 1970's. With the new look you get a "more modern" area. The parking lot is too small for the use. The main area is nice, check-in was fast( need a reservation). The locker rooms are warm, but small for the crowd size. Recommend some mats so when you dry off you're not in water. 2 showers & 1 toilet- again not sure when they advertise to groups. At night the ice path to the steam room needs a safe surface. No lighting except propane torches, so you can't see people till they are close. Servers were sparse; in 3 hrs we had 1 tea, passing on the $9 a glass wine. Empty glasses surround the hot tub, which remains full as the main pool is warm mostly in the deep end only. Goggles allow you to see about 4 feet, so not really clear water. At $16 a person, I would wait until they make some improvements . Our visit was on a Saturday night- maybe daylight is better outside for safety & service.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Skip C
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Glitz wearing off? Maybe avoid Sunday?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We have been twice before and loved it. First two times were clean and not that busy.

I oversold the experience to my family, 12 of us went today. We still had fun, but what a drastically different experience. Maybe because it was family day?

Pros: reception staff are friendly and helpful, professional. Staff attentive to keeping walk ways clear of ice. The fruit bowl is consistently amazingly fresh and delicious! Relatives enjoyed the steam room and fresh water to drink. So nice that you provide goggles! The pool mats are very high quality and soft.

Cons: oh my gosh it was packed today! Crazy packed. Lines to use toilet and showers, we had to skip the shower. Really hard to use the locker room with that many people, and no privacy when the two toilets and two showers are booked.
Could barely hear the music....
It just felt dirty in places, which is out of place for such a pretty place. Grime and grit on the floors in women's locker, hairs in shower on the dispensers. Unfortunately people that leave are not great at picking up their garbage and leave it all around pool, so waitstaff can't tell what is still being drank out of (you need a system to help people with this) I did ask the waitstaff to clear out the 10+ used cups in our area before all of OUR drinks came.
Our group ordered probably 11 mochas. You really need quality control with the mochas. One of the cups was an inch of liquid and the rest foam. I was there 4 hours. The first mocha was great, second one had so much syrup it was actually gross.
It wouldn't hurt the pool waitstaff to smile once in awhile, especially when taking orders.
We used pool goggles and yuck lots of floaties in the water.

The pool wasn't as hot as the last two times. Upon inquiring, I learned its because it's all natural and the earth temps fluctuate.

I don't mean to nitpick, but if you are going to market yourself as luxury you need a tighter leash on quality control.

Please also strategize on crowd control. Maybe the rates are higher for folks that stay there all day and crowd up the later time slots? Or you pay more for earlier time slots? Way too crowded today.

We will come back, but not on a Sunday.

2 Thank Angela H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! When we arrived, the parking lot was full and had to park in the mud. The very small lobby does not have a real fireplace like the website makes it sound but rather just a wood stove that was not even lit. Locker rooms are tiny and when we were there, there was no where to sit to undress or dress due to small bench full of peoples' dirty towels & clothes. Couldnt even get to locker for several minutes because people were undressing in front of it. AWKWARD! Only 2 toilets so again waited 10 more minutes to get into one. Once outside, we couldnt find any chairs to put our towels on and ground was freezing cold. Pool was only luke warm so we finally found space in completely crowded hot tub. We were shoulder to shoulder with strangers groping each other & it was only luke warm as well.. We immediately ordered drinks but did not realize until we checked our bill at end of evening that glass of bad wine in plastic cup was $9! This was a Wednesday which the website touts as "date night" with "champagne, strawberries and chocolate and live music". None of that was offered and no live music whatsoever.We left after only 20 minutes and couldnt wait to get home. To top it all off, we were overcharged by $4 per person on our bill! The website makes this place look much much better than it actually is, cannot understand where the good reviews came from.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Greg S
Bremerton, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The Springs, Warm Pool & Hot Tub Retreat, Idaho City, ID (SR-21)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

"The Springs", comfortably warm main pool (80' x 40', 99F in winter, 85F in summer) & hot soaking tub (16 foot diameter, kept at 104F to 106F) retreat near Idaho City is only about 45 to 50 minutes or so from Boise, ID on SR-21 (watch for the sign - we did not see an address # or mileage marker # on the road or even in their brochure). GPS Coordinates may be helpful - N43 deg 48.919' and W115 deg 51.850' if you have a GPS.

My "new" Garmin GPS did not list "The Springs" (new name) in Attractions, but I found the old name "Warm Springs Resort, SR-21, Idaho City, ID" in my GPS, close (on SR-21), but not as close as my "new GPS Coordinates" at the entrance to the new "The Springs" Lodge/Retreat Building.

"The Springs" being very new (2013) was very nice & clean. Adults are $16 each, Seniors ~$13. Changing rooms offer nice warm showers with a bench, hooks & privacy curtain, with liquid soap & spa shampoo provided. A towel & storage area with key are provided at check-in.

We visited on a nice sunny cold (30F) Dec 19, 2013 day (Thursday). The pool was not very crowded, but staff said that sometimes in the summer months they have to limit guests to about ~200, which would be "crowded", including limited parking for numerous cars. We had none of those issues on the relaxed day we visited. NOTE: "The Springs" is "CLOSED" on TUESDAYS!

Pool & hot tub water were crystal clear, "sorta-of aqua-colored" & very comfortable (~99F) on a cold day (~30F). Staff will gladly serve drinks, including free water, poolside, when guests place a little flag laying poolside up-right on it's base, and if not they made rounds to ask if anyone would like something to drink - very professional & courteous! There is a ledge/bench to comfortably sit on the edge of the pool & hot tub & soak at chest level for as long as you like.

There is a 12 person "spring water steam room" building, near the outdoor hot tub, with two levels of benches & heat zones that is intended for about 15 minutes max use at any one time.

There is an on-site cafe for sandwiches, fresh fruit, salads, soups (made fresh daily) & drinks, including local craft beers on tap and wine by the glass. Complimentary herbal tea & spring water is offered at check-in & poolside. Spring & summer weekends may feature live music from time to time according to "The Springs" brochure, which also states they drain, rinse & clean the pool 4 times a week to ensure "crystal clarity" - which appeared "obviously well cared for" on the day we were there - "very impressive"!!

Pavement around the outdoor pool & hot tub is cold in December, there are a few small rubber mats placed around exit/entrance ladders from/to the pool & changing rooms.

There is an American Disabilities Act (ADA) lift for poolside use, when needed. Poolside lounging chairs are provided and even being used in December, by some people with bathrobes on (30F, sunny day).

Visited December 2013