“Valentine's Day Fiasco 2014”

FairBridge Inn & Suites Idaho Falls
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Idaho Falls
Dublin, Texas
“Valentine's Day Fiasco 2014”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our stay with Idaho Falls Guesthouse Inn & Suites was rather appalling. It was a Valentine's Day, 10 year anniversary gift combo from our family members for my husband and me. We arrived on Friday (Valentine's Day) and checked in. The clerk was friendly and professional. She also served as a manager. Before we went to our room, we left for supper. Upon returning, we entered the room. It was not bad, but not good. We noticed it was a bit shabby and slight stains could be seen on the bathroom walls, floor, and shower. However, the linens appeared clean, and that was what mattered, as we were tired. We slept well. The problem started the next morning when we went to breakfast. We noticed right away that there was only one other couple in there eating. It was around 8 a.m. The next thing we noticed was that the tables were dirty. We walked past the tables up to the food arranged in two different stations. The selections were varied. My husband chose a biscuit. He noticed it was cold and hard, as if it had been left out all night. You could tap it like a piece of dried bread. He walked toward the gravy bin and noticed that the crock pot that held the gravy was filthy. Gravy was slopped all over the side and had dried on, like it had been there for quite some time. He decided against the gravy. He walked to the microwave, thinking to warm the biscuit a little. The outside of the microwave had greasy finger prints on it. He used a napkin to open the door. The inside looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a month. It was absolutely filthy. Additionally, there was no tray inside on which to place the biscuit. He had pretty much lost his appetite at that point. He decided to eat the biscuit cold, then we would go down the road to Denny's for a good breakfast. Meantime, I was trying to get a waffle going. The syrup was also held in a crockpot. There were four choices of syrup (supposedly). In actuality, three of them were so dried that you couldn't poke the ladle through the surface layer. Obviously, they had been left out and had dried up. The third option was blueberry. I tried some of it on my waffle. It looked like someone had actually poured some fresh blueberry syrup into the fourth container but had left the other ones as they were. The surfaces of the serving dishes were all quite filthy and greasy. The place looked like it hadn't been cleaned for days and days. I was quite fascinated with who would tolerate such an atmosphere. Then I saw them. The couple who was in charge of the breakfast. Yes, you could say they were slobs. They slovenly waddled around the breakfast area, wiping their noses with their hands and sloppily checking the food area, apparently it met with their approval b/c they made no changes. In awe, I watched them for a while. I was in absolute amazement at their nonchalant attitude. Having completely lost our appetites, we tidied up our table as best we could and went back to our room. We decided we would check out and leave a complaint at the front counter about our breakfast experience. To my horror, the same woman who ran the breakfast was the check out clerk. When I told her about our experience, she made multiple excuses and then completely disregarded my comments. I asked her if there was a complaint form. She ignored my request as much as she could before ended up demanding one. She grabbed a spiral notebook with hand scribbled notes, telling me she would write down my comments. She scribbled "Room not clean" on the notebook. I started laughing. I said, "That was the least of the problems, but I can see this is going nowhere." She continued to argue with me, stating that the place was very clean and she didn't really know what my problem was. Finally, I said, "Have you checked the microwave this morning?" She said, "I was in there, and everything looked fine. But, I didn't actually open it." I said that obviously my complaint wasn't going to go anywhere since she was one of the slobs who "kept up the place". I walked out in frustration. When we got home, I completed an online survey with the hotel to tell them of our experience. We have received no response, and it's been five days. We stayed in room 110 on that day. We will not stay at a Guesthouse Inn & Suites again, and we cannot recommend it to anyone. In fact, we would probably discourage friends and family from staying there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahBarbee
CinthiaR, General Manager at FairBridge Inn & Suites Idaho Falls, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
It was a pleasure speaking to you on the phone, Sarah, regarding your stay. I am sorry we were not able to connect right away. We gave Sarah a gift certificate to try us out again. She used the gift certificate the next week and said she would leave a positive comment since she enjoyed her stay with us the second time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A well priced and comfortable enough hotel for an overnight. Rooms come with breakfast. The breakfast room is pleasant enough. I'd rate the breakfast a 6 out of 10. Hotel has an indoor hot tub and small exercise room. Good attached restaurant/bar.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CinthiaR, Manager at FairBridge Inn & Suites Idaho Falls, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We picked Idaho Falls as a stopover point on the part of our trip that was taking us between Yosemite and Yellowstone. It is literally a couple of minutes off the Interstate and nice and easy to find. We were there in the very early season, so the hotel was quiet and the pool wasn't open but we knew that would be the case. Unfortunately the restaurant wasn't open either, but we got a hotel sponsored discount at the Bar and Grill over the road (can't remember the name) and that turned out to be one of our favourite meals of the trip! The indoor jacuzzi was fantastic after many hours in the car. All in all, a nice comfortable hotel, good sized rooms, helpful staff and a good self-service breakfast to start the next day!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
We are happy to hear that we could be apart of your trip. Thank you for staying with us and hopefully we see you soon
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Driving through, Reno to Helena. Me, wife, 2 year old. One night stay. Super friendly at the front desk, gave me a nice deal on the suite. Free wifi, early breakfast. The bar/restaurant attached (wild spud or something?) was open at 11 and had an AWESOME beer selection. The bartender, Heather, was very cool, and even lent me a bottle opener from the bar that I could take back to my room. Even the guy I sat next to at the bar was nice. Really good experience. First time I've posted on trip advisor.

Room Tip: We love the suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Preston, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed one night....room was small but clean and adequate. Front desk employees were friendly and helpful. Good value for the price. Conveniently located with close access to restaurants and shopping. The breakfast was great. Have stayed here before and will stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
saskatoon, sask.
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Drove to Las Vegas from Saskatoon. Drove as far as Idaho Falls first day. Have done this trip in the past and stayed at this very same hotel. Prices for the room were reasonable and you received a Hot Breakfast. Rooms were clean, bed was comfy. Staff very friendly. Would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a place to stay in Idaho Falls.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We like this hotel. The staff are great, the rooms are large and well furnished, the beds are comfortable, there is good access from your car to your room, the rates are very good, easy access from the highway, etc. We prefer the rooms at the back of the hotel for easy access to the walking trails.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family