“Rustic experience!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Island Park
Riverside, Illinois
“Rustic experience!”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

If you're looking for a luxury hotel with all the frills, find somewhere else! This ranch is right on Henry's Lake and is more of a vacation rental. staff was friendly. We ate the restaurant and the owner even cut up some fresh potatoes for french fries. I would recommend they fix the place up a bit. The piers were overgrown with patches of grass and flowers (it was kind of awesome!) and I'm pretty sure there's some safety code violations around the property. All that said, I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: This place is great for a large group of people.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SV40

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
Atlanta
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I booked a room for one night here during a recent trip to Yellowstone. Yes, it is in Idaho, but only a beautiful 10-15 minute drive from West Yellowstone. It is in a remarkable setting, for sure! They need a new sign because I missed it & had to double back. The log cabin style buildings looked nice and the other guests seemed to be enjoying their rooms, which looked very nice from the outside. I was travelling solo and on a budget. I had a small room that was practically underground, so my room experience was not so good. Also, there were record hot temperatures while I was there and, of course, no air conditioning. The staff was very nice and got me a good fan. They were the best thing about my stay. The room was modern with a TV, phone & a so-so bed. The real problem was the construction of the building. Whoever was above in the me would walk across the floor and it sounded like the ceiling was falling in! No kidding. There was a long list of Do's & Don't listed on the wall. one of which was no noise after 10 pm. Unfortunately, those above me rumbled around until midnight. Since the office was closed, there was no one to ask them to quiet down. I blame this more on the construction than the guests above. It wasn't like a wild party. They were just walking across the room. It was so loud, though!
I did not like the idea of the resort charging for items like ice & coffee in the office in the morning, but my room rate was good for that area, so I felt like I got some value. I probably would not stay there again, but if I did, I would only stay in a room on an upper floor. They seemed much nicer.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank thestanman
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Jared's wild resort lodge is very beautiful right on the lake, easy fishing. friendly workers, good food. The rooms are very nice. It is only 12 miles from West Yellowstone.
The towels were replaced when we needed them, loved it.

Room Tip: XS Cabin and Room 12 give you wonderful morning views of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 July 2012

its never to late to make a good impression! we pulled in late at night, the place was kinda so-so, but we received our key and found our "xs" cabin and boy were we pleasantly suprised! comfy cozy cabin to enjoy for our honeymoon! whirlpool tub next to the bed took a bit of getting used to but at the end of a long day it didnt even matter! the true beauty was seen when waking up and heading outside where i yelled to my husband "we can see the lake and mountains,look!" and he said "did you look the other way?" rolling sweeping mountains were the backdrop! within 20 minutes of yellowstones west entrance and great food and attractions near yellowstone!
comfortable sleeping weather, bed not so comfy. that is the only improvement i can see for this fishing lodge!

Room Tip: a cabin for two is what i recommend romantic!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honeydoll272
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My family has been coming here for over 30 years. The big advantage to the place is you can camp right next to the lake and walk to your boat in the slip and start fishing. But, the other reviews are pretty much accurate. The whole management of this place is rather amateurish. The owners/managers are really nice and very accommodating. But they are very penurious. They don't spend any more than they need to just keep this place going. For the prices they charge, things should be quite a bit nicer. The mattresses are just passable. TVs are still the old CRTs and they only get about 6 channels---not that I care; we aren't there to watch TV anyway. We wanted to plug in an electric knife at the fish cleaning station--the power was off, and they turned it only on demand. The camp sites are sub par compared to other campgrounds just miles away. The grass is weedy and not really a lawn at all. The pull through sites are okay, but decent camp sites have nice, level sites that are easier to use.

In short, this place is great for fisherman and snowmobilers. Convenient and a little rustic. But if you are expecting great service and accommodations, this is not the place. Nevertheless, we continue to go there every year out of tradition and proximity to the lake.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We wished to stay on Henry's Lake for opening weekend of fishing season and needed a boat slip and ramp. After meeting that one requirement, it was pretty much downhill. The docks and slip area was dangerous at best and falling apart. The roads and walking areas were very muddy and needed gravel. The room was tiny (about the same size as a 5th wheel trailer) and we had to take our luggage out to the car in order to have room to walk around the bed. Our room was only $109 a night and the boat slip was $20. The walls were so thin you could hear everything from the hall (I felt like we had no privacy). No ammenities; a 4 cup coffee maker, but no cups, no coffee, no filters. The room has a tiny microwave and fridge, and nice cabinets. The closet for your clothes was the same size as my camper. No dresser, but there were 5 small shelves. No rug for the cold bathroom (closet sized) bathroom. Thin and smelly towels... don't these guys use hot water or bleach? Plaid flannel sheets, another concern for cleanliness, so we asked for regular sheets (the young woman who brought them was very nice and helpful). One of the pillow cases was stained and looking dirty though. But the real mistake for this resort was the availability for dining. Get this... they do not open their restaurant until 9am. Helloooooo. Fishermen start at 6am. Coffee is $4 a cup! (Not nice since they tempt you with a coffeemaker in the room with no cups.) And for one of the most popular holiday weekends of the year for Henry's Lake, they were closed on Sunday. Wow. The service was friendly if you were lucky enough to talk to the owner, but poor otherwise. I asked for ice for use for drinks in our room and was told to buy a bag. It is surprising that the owner keeps that guy as his attitude is very poor and he has no social skills. There is potential; great location, one of the only marinas with accommodations nearby, and a large choice of types of rooms and cabins. The idea of having a restaurant is great, but the execution of it all is where the problems are. They have vending machines, so why not vend coffee packets? Why not provide a coffee cup? They have a freezer for selling ice cream in the store, so why not sell frozen breakfast sandwiches? Why not use white towels that can be bleached? Why not open the restaurant when their customers need it? I have not felt this unwelcome in a hotel in a long time as the larger chains have raised the bar on customer service and comfort. (Maybe Jared needs to travel a bit and see what people are expecting.) I realize that I did not pay alot of the room and you get what you pay for. But instead of me feeling that I need to get a larger room and return there, I feel that a larger room will not solve the reasons I probably won't return. We are not alone as we heard many others complaining about these same issues.

Room Tip: Ask for the square footage and if they have windows. Many rooms in the "Plex" area are in...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Island Park hotels

Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Poor management, very unprofessional staff in appearance, behavior, customer service attitude. Our check-in...in a shabby room that looked like a unkempt bait shop--interrupted two staff member's tv watching. They seemed put-out by our arrival. One went outside and started shooting hoops. His unleashed pit bull dog rushed at us when we left after registering, and sniffed my wife. There was a push mower abandoned on the lawn next to the office entrance for three days during our stay. There was no parking near our building. The room had no place for luggage, no cups for water in the bathroom, no coffee or cups for the coffee maker, no kleenex, no housekeeping service--no beds made, no new towels during our two-night stay. The boat dock was an unsafe makeshift collection of planks. Bird poop covered the grassy area at the lake. There is no attempt to keep the property clean. We travel a lot and stay in hotels all over the country...and this is the very worst place for customer service I have ever seen! It is a beautiful location, but the poor management makes it not worth the money!!! We attempted to check out after the first night and management refused to amend the credit card bill to reduce the payment from two nights to one night. I was tempted to just write off the second night as a loss and leave...but we were spending the whole day hiking in the Bechler area , and not at the hotel much anyway. We wouldn't even consider eating at the restaurant here due to the shabby way the rest of the place is maintained. We will definitely not stay here again!

Room Tip: Choose one at another resort
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Timbers Condominiums at Island Park
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
#2 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Jared's Wild Rose Resort? Share your experiences!