“Our new favorite place!!”

Yellowstone Horses - Eagle Ridge Ranch
Ranked #6 of 15 things to do in Island Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback riding for the family! Go on a half day ride near the Continental Divide, come back and eat your lunch and then for no extra charge go fishing in one of the private ponds here at the ranch. Wildlife is seen on nearly every ride and you'll love the great western atmosphere. Be sure and bring you camera!
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked over the phone for a trail ride and was very unsure of what kind of experience we were going to get.....and to our surprise it was amazing!! They were wonderful ranch hands that took good care of us, my daughter did scream and cry because the horse would trot to catch up and it would scare her everytime....but they were good at stopping and coming back to calm her down and to talk to her. We booked us a a cabin to come back in September to stay in one of their cabins :)

All reviews
"next year"
"great guy"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The place is a ways off from Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Parks but thoroughly enjoyable. We were a bit concerned to begin with but made the reservations and drove there. It was a great ride driving through open Idaho farms and fields.

We got independent horses for all - they were helpful and chose appropriate horses for each of us. There was a quick intro on how to control and ride the horses - it was our first ride. The ride was scary at first but we quickly got the hang of it. The speed is slow so quite manageable. The kids loved it as well. They don't have a lot of facilities so carry your water or snacks, as appropriate.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

FABULOUS EXPERIENCE! I called Susan and made reservations for three (the kids & me) for the afternoon ride. I had to re-schedule for the 4pm ride (the husband and his uncle took the boy fly-fishing on the Madison), and then I had to cancel completely (the girl caught a stomache bug), and then I had to re-book for the 4pm ride for the boy and me (the husband stayed with the girl and her stomache bug friends). HOLY COW, was Susan a kind and patient woman!! The boy (9 years old) and I took the 4pm evening ride with only six other guests, which happened to be returning customers from the day before. Our guide was very patient and caring towards my son, who has never ridden before. Also, our guide didn't just hang out with certain riders, he gave everyone equal amounts of attention and would let others lead and decide where our ride went. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery and went through streams and meadows. I felt like a VonTrapp in Austria and wanted to break out singing, "The Hills are Alive With Music!" There is a pond/lake with hundreds of tadpoles and pollywogs (I am not kidding!), canoes and paddleboats, and a huge rope swing. Which is free to use when you purchase a horseback ride. You can either come early before your ride to swim, boat, catch frogs or you can do those things after your ride. There is bottle water for sale for only $1 and they have complimentary little bags, which hang from your saddle horn, to put your drink or camera in. The boy had the best time ever! Now, on to the serious stuff. There were four ranch hands around and each one was cuter than the previous one! I thought I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone! One welcomed my son & me, another one ran my credit card, another one rounded up the guests to get ready for the ride, and then another one was our guide! There must be something in the water at the Eagle Ridge Ranch -and it's not the frogs!! I would definitely come back and schedule another horseback riding trip due to Susan's hospitality, the activities available, the experienced and patient guides, and the beautiful scenery!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I haven't been on a horse since I was a kid and at 62 years old I was a bit worried if they had a horse big enough to carry my fat behind. I've never seen such a huge collection of horses in one place and they had horses of every size and color to fit every age, size and experience. Our group took the mountain ride which was full of adventure and somewhat challenging but the very experienced guide made everything a great experience. They really know their horses and know every trail on the huge ranch. I would highly recommend this place if you want real expert service.

1  Thank Kuala1313