“Nice rooms. Fun water park. Restaurant could be better”

Silver Mountain Resort Lodging
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our family of 4 stayed in a one bedroom family suite. It had a king bed and queen sofabed. The room was nice and clean. It was nice having the small kitchenette in the room. The staff at the front counter were very nice. They said the hotel was almost sold out, but it seemed very quiet. We spent about 4 hours at the adjacent water park and my two kids, 5 and almost 2, had so much fun. The water park was not busy and there were no lineups for slides. It was nice having the one big slide that the whole family could go on. My almost two year old daughter loved it and wanted to do it again before we had even finished the slide. After about 10 times climbing the stairs with her, we said no and she cried. We ate at Noah's Canteen and would only give that about 2 stars. My husband ordered a burger that was raw inside. My kids didn't get their drinks so I asked for one to go at the end of our meal and was then charged for two kids drinks (even though the kids meals were supposed to come with a drink). The waitress said she wasn't aware the kids drinks came with their meals. It was a bit overpriced, but there was no other choice if you wanted to stay at the resort. Anybody wanting to go up the gondola should avoid going on a Wed or Thurs as it is closed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KasloMaxPower

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife, 6 yr old and I, just stayed in the one bedroom on the fourth floor looking toward the mountain in the end of July for 3 nights. The hotel room was perfect with everything we needed to cook steaks and burgers on the grill, located by the hot tubs. We had the king bed and our daughter took the pullout couch. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom and room itself was clean. The couch looked a little worn, but they usually seem to be in ski resorts and anything to do with wet clothes. Bathroom was very clean with all the towels, soaps included. The waterpark was perfect for our 6 yr old, and we enjoyed a margarita or two at the bar. It was a plus after hiking and biking all day.
I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I couldn't because of the service. So lets begin. The maid service was poor. We stayed there Th-Sun. They made it to the room Fri morning. The beds were poorly made, no coffee refilled and you could tell it was a rush job. Saturday, they didn't come at all. We piled our garbage outside of the door and someone just moved it down the hallway. I was in and out of the room all day and never saw a maid service on the fourth floor at all. Now, to be fair, I also want to mention the hotel was at 100% full capacity Fri-Sun. The next issue was the front desk. If you really want to make this a great resort instead of a good to average resort- All staff need to get on the same page. When I go to the front desk and ask what, if any activities are available to a 6 yr old on the mountain?, the reply should not be "I am not sure, your going to have to contact the bike shop in the morning". You are the first interaction everyone has with the resort. Management needs some team meetings. Front desk should know all activities inside and out and act as a concierge. I guess this just stuck in my craw after coming from "Noahs Canteen" for dinner, and the waitress returned three times to tell us they are out of what we ordered. When we asked of how this or that taste, the response was, "I don't know, I have never eaten anything on the menu". Really? Once again, need some team meetings. To be fair, the restaurant in the village maybe unrelated to the Morningstar Lodge. Tough to say. On a side note, there was a problem with the card readers that about 20 other guests had issues as well. The bike shop was very knowledgeable and helpful in making this a fabulous vacation. Thanks bike shop crew!
I am being a little picky, because I really want this place to succeed. I have spent many of summers and winters at Whistler, BC, Banff, Pronghorn resort and SunRiver Resort near Bend, and Bandon Dunes in Oregon, I understand the demographic they are are attempting to draw and these are obvious areas in need of improvement to take it to the next level. There is alot of potential and I will be returning since we had such an incredible time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nonster69
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Rented the one bedroom which was set up well with kitchen appliances and utensils. Very clean, and perfect for our party of four. All members of the staff we talked to were pleasant and always had a smile and said hello. Ate at the restaurant for lunch and dinner w/ no complaints. Water park was great fun for the kids and the gondola ride to the top of the mountain shouldn't be missed. A very enjoyable relaxing stay, at a very nice property. Will return next time we are in the area...

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Madlives
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for one night in May. It's located in the small town of Kellogg, which is an historic mining place, but seems to have seen better days. The big attractions at the Morning Star are the adjacent large indoor water park and Silver Mountain skiing, but it was a pretty nice place for us old folks also. The water park is impressive and is free for hotel guests. These are basically ski-type condos, some of which appear to be lived in year-round. Our King Room was large and well furnished. It was comfortable like a chain hotel room. Parking is free and well secured. The restaurant is casual and the food was decent. There are some little shops in the complex, including a coffee shop where you can get breakfast items also. I'm not sure what the prices would be in ski season or mid-summer, but for us it was a good value at $125/night in May. The staff at the hotel were friendly. Overall, a decent place to stay, and similar to staying in ski condos.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be quiet and none seem to be preferable from a view standpoint (the hotel is in a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I decided to stay at the Morning Star Lodge for a little staycation (only an hour from where we live). What a fun place. The room was so clean and had everything we needed. Bathroom was spotless, loved the tub (great for a relaxing soak after a long day). The kitchenette had dishes and utensils for 2 along with things like a pizza cutter and corkscrew. Bed was comfy and the little balcony was fantastic. The lodge had an outdoor movie night with popcorn (they provided lawn chairs). There are tons of fun games all around the property. We tried the cornhole game for the first time and loved it (bean bags). They have giant checkers, ping pong, giant connect four, etc. And the best part is the waterpark that is just for guests of the lodge. My husband loved trying to surf in the flowrider and the tube slides were fun. My favorite was the water basketball. At night we packed our own smore's kit and had smores at one of many fire pits on the property (they do sell smore's kits at the front desk for $5 each). We also had fun taking the gondolas up to the top of the mountain where we rode the ski lift (fun in the summer) and went on a 3 mile hike which was beautiful. Can't wait to go back next year!

Room Tip: We had a king that had a little kitchenette. It was large enough for 2 (no hideabed or couch so pret...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jlwelch23
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We brought 4 teenage boys with us on a quick overnight getaway and it was perfect! We had adjoining rooms, booked as a 2 bedroom, and although the furniture was in the way most if the time, it served our needs. The decor is really nice, but too big for the rooms.

Be ready to walk a lot, as the parking is pretty far from the actual water park and most of the rooms. Still, I like to walk and it was worth it. It was rainy out, and early season so most of the stores weren't open yet. I bet it is hoppin' in high season!

The hot tub on the roof of building B was so wonderful - and there is seating and a barbecue out there too. They did that completely right!

Kellogg is a very quaint town, so don't miss looking around.

So many recreations there! Skiing in the winter, mountain biking in summer, and the water park all the time. I live in Spokane, so this is one of our favorite close getaways.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Megan H
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very nice place to stay! I would stay here again. The water park is really nice for families. I would say that it is geared more towards younger children than teenagers, since there is only 3 adult water slides. The lazy river is wonderful. We found lots to do. The only bad experience we had there was at the water park, the handicapped shower drain was draining slow and backing up clear into the next stall over. They was gross! Hope that's fixed soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kellogg
FairBridge Inn & Suites Kellogg
#1 of 2 in Wallace
Trail Motel
Trail Motel
#2 of 2 in Kellogg

Been to Silver Mountain Resort Lodging? Share your experiences!