“Great location, comfy bed, clean room!”
Review of Tamarack Lodge

Tamarack Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Ketchum
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights in October 2013 while were in Ketchum for the Trailing of the Sheep Festival. The location cannot be beat. We were able to walk to everything we wanted to see in Ketchum.

Yes, it is an older property and there were some things that have been updated and some things that have not. The important things were there - the bed was very comfy, the room was clean, the shower had good water pressure and was hot. We talked with two different front desk staff and both were very friendly and helpful.

We had a king room and it was huge. Lots of space. We had no issues with noise (we were on the top floor).

I'm glad we chose the Tamarack Lodge and would stay there again if I were in Ketchum.

Room Tip: I liked the top floor because no worries on noise from above, but there is no elevator so keep that...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OleGal96
woodriverinn, Front Office Manager at Tamarack Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here overnight on our way to Yellowstone partly because I'd never been to Sun Valley, summer or winter and it was about what I'd expected. I've stayed in many ski town motels and this was one of the nicer ones. It was a good value compared to other lodging I saw in town, but I have no idea about rates during high season.

Large rooms, comfortable beds, rack inside the doors for skis and a locker outside and amenities like a flat screen tv, mini fridge, hair dryer and coffee maker (but the front desk was happy to let me use the Keurig in the lobby). Yes, it was a little outdated, the floors were thin (you could hear the family upstairs running back and forth for a while) and the steps uneven but your location is right in the middle of Ketchum. We walked to restaurants and shops and were able to easily explore town, though the thin air taxed a couple of us sea-level dwellers.

The hotel was full even though it was close to the end of summer season and we were the last to check-in that night but there was still a parking space for me in the back. Next day as we left there were plenty of spots in front and could load the car easily.

We had one issue that was unusual, the mini fridge had defrosted before we arrived and when we opened the door, water spilled out onto the carpet. Not a huge deal but when I tried to notify the front desk about it when we checked out, there didn't seem to be much concern about it.

I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Possibly a top floor room to minimize the thin floor noise problem?
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fred117
woodriverinn, Manager at Tamarack Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your feed back about our property. We always appreciate comments that will help us improve our service to our guests

Reviewed 16 September 2013

place is a bit dated, but location is so central and key that I would stay here again without question. Stayed in a one bedroom unit very big and great value. It is at the cross streets of Ketchum downtown and within a couple blocks of everything. don't pass it up, stay here and you wont regret it. other higher priced places are further away. Our friends stayed at BW Plus and it was a fair walk every time they wanted to go for dinner with us.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the comments regarding our property, and we are glad your stay in Ketchum was so positive.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The location of this hotel is wonderful. My husband and I stayed at the hotel for three nights last weekend. Located right downtown, it is walking distance to everything in Ketchum. The hotel itself is nothing fancy, in fact the rooms are ran down and have a strange odor, but location is really the winning factor here.

I was disappointed with the customer service we received upon checking in. We had called and booked a 'King Bed, Sofa, Non-Smoking' room but upon arrival we had been placed/booked in a 'Kind Bed, Suite, Fireplace, N/S'. When we questioned the reservation they made it very clear that the mistake was not theirs and we were responsible. The total for our stay was over $600, and while that may not be a lot at Sun Valley standards, the last minute adaptation for a room we did not book does make an impact to those of use that have to save up for visit.

Overall location of this hotel is very nice but customer service is poor.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brokencircle

Thank you for the time you spent writing a review of our property. Your comments about your expericence with us will help improve all of our guests visits. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your stay with us.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Perfect location for enjoying the whole valley. Terrific staff!
Rates saved us over some of the other hotels.
It's not the ritz but we will definitely stay again.
We did buy off living social and were very pleased.
Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Room 210 is far and away the best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lainie M
woodriverinn, Manager at Tamarack Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Glad you stayed - thanks

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Tamarack for three nights while in Ketchum for a wedding (there was a block of rooms reserved for guests, so it wasn't our choice). Upon driving up Sun Valley Road from Main St. toward the hotel, the first thing you see is a tired-looking sign advertising features such as air conditioning and a pool. Both touts were accurate, but the fact that they are still prominently displayed is indicative of the age of this property and the lack of other hotel options in town. There were both good parts and bad parts during our stay.

The good:
1) Check-in was a breeze (possibly because we didn't arrive in town until almost 7:00 p.m.).
2) Parking is free, and at least for us, always ample. There are spaces on Walnut Ave. and also a small lot in the back near the pool. I was always able to find a spot in this back lot. Street parking also appeared to be plentiful in the immediately adjacent blocks.
3) Our room (211) was spacious with a fireplace, a kitchenette with a mini-fridge, and a balcony with table and chairs. The balcony overlooked the back alley, but we could still see the mountains.
4) Our king-sized bed was comfortable with supportive pillows.
5) The wall mounted flat-screen TV had DirecTV, though it was far away from the bed.
6) Wireless internet was free and always working.
7) The location was fantastic. It's three blocks from Main Street, which has a number of restaurants and bars, and there are many other places to eat/drink within walking distance. There's also a grocery store and drugstore about two blocks away. Starbucks is one block away, but a better coffee option is Velocio, which is right across the street and much less crowded.
8) I heard of a free bike rental, but we didn't explore that option.

The bad:
1) There was a distinctly musty odor upon first entering the interior hallway to our room, and it persisted in the room itself. It never really went away and clung to my clothes upon our return home.
2) The bathroom was downright tiny with a low showerhead (I'm 6'4") and very little counter space. Toiletries were merely servicable, and the towels were thin. If the door was open you could see the toilet from the bed.
3) We were given actual keys (like those to a house) and they had our room number etched on them. This is great for hotel staff, I'm sure, but considering the size of Ketchum, it wouldn't take too long to figure out what hotel these keys were for if we happened to lose them or, even worse, they were stolen. I'm not paranoid about hotel security in general, but this hardly seems ideal.
4) We stayed Thursday night through Saturday night, and while housekeeping came on Friday, they never came at all on Saturday. Not once. My wife and I left together at around 8:30 in the morning to get coffee and put the "please make up room" sign on the door. I came back by myself around 9:45 and they hadn't come yet. No big deal. I left around 10:30, and my wife came back by herself at some point between 10:30 and 11:00 to get ready for the wedding. She put the "do not disturb" sign up. I returned around 12:15 and we immediately left to go ride the gondola up Bald Mountain, flipping the door sign back to "please make up room" on our way out the door. We came back at a little after 3:00 to find the room in the same condition we had left it. Admittedly, we were in and out of the room more frequently than we were on Friday (when we were gone all day), but there was still a three-hour window in the early afternoon when making up the room could have been accomplished. It's as though they tried to come once in the morning (if they came at all), saw the "do not disturb" sign, and gave up on coming back to check for the rest of the day. This is really quite inexcusable for any hotel, let alone one that has maybe 30 rooms total and check-out/check-in times of 11:00 a.m./4:00 p.m. respectively.

The main problem is that everything about the Tamarack is dated, and not really in a quaint or charming kind of way. Just picture a ski chalet with an A-frame roof from the 1970s and you have a pretty good idea. Considering the three nights totaled almost $500 (and this is likely a discounted rate as part of the block of rooms), value is certainly not its strong suit. I concede that lack of value is a common feature of hotels in ski resort towns, but I shudder to think what you would pay to stay here in the height of ski season, especially considering you're not within easy walking distance of any of the base lodges (I suppose you could walk to River Run, but that would be quite a haul with ski equipment). The free parking at both the Tamarack and all base lodges mitigates this somewhat, but if your focus is on skiing, there are closer properties to the lifts.

For summer visits the location is excellent, and if you like to walk places (which I do), it's likely the best option in Ketchum. Three and a half stars is probably the most accurate rating overall, but that's not an option, and the housekeeping issue was a major demerit for me. Just go in with your expectations firmly in check.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your input - we will always keep working to make it better

Reviewed 11 July 2013

If you arrive in the dark - depending on the room's location you might need a flash light.The first day and night we had no interior lights in our building hallways at all, making it difficult to climb up a dark staircase to the rooms. Even the backup lights were down - but they finally fixed it. There are several buildings and parking is sparse (and dark) at best.

The room was nice, sunny, and large with a balcony facing West. That made the room a tad warm (we did encounter an unexpected heat wave in May), and the AC was noisy and next to the bed, blowing cold air on us. When we opened the sliding door to the balcony to get fresh air we heard people on the street talking loudly - so we had to close it again. The window coverings are not black-outs and don't go all the way up to the top windows, so you'll want to wear blindfolds or just wake up with the chickens.

But the bathroom was tiny - no room for two people to walk past each other! One could tell it must have been an after-thought to build it because the door was very narrow, too. There was so much extra space in that TV Alcove - just 2-3 feet could have easily been added to the bathroom without cramping anyone's style who might want to sleep on the pull-out couch below the wall-mounted TV.

The pillows were quite hard and over-stuffed, giving both my husband and me a crimped neck. I asked for flatter pillows - to no avail. As in too many hotels - the Wi-Fi is NOT secure. How hard is it to establish a password for guest access?

But the location is within short walking distance of everything downtown. Don't want to move that car too often if you're lucky enough to snatch a parking spot, that's for sure. Yes it's old - but all in all it was a decent place to stay for the reasonable price - clean for sure, and beds (sans the pillows) were comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ketchum
Best Western Tyrolean Lodge
Knob Hill Inn
Knob Hill Inn
#1 of 10 in Ketchum
Wood River Inn & Suites

Been to Tamarack Lodge? Share your experiences!