“New Flavors Stand Out”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Recommended by a "foodie" friend we tried Dashi's for a birthday weekend dinner with three couples. On a busy Valentine's weekend Saturday night, our reserved table was ready for us right on time. We ordered a special sushi appetizer, the Niman Ranch Beef Capaccio roll, and the tempura shishito peppers. All three had great flavor combinations and tasted wonderful. Then we had some Miso soups and a squash soup. The Miso tasted very good, and the squash soup included among other things some apple which gave it a bit of "zest" that we at first thought was lemon juice. The soup was topped with crème fresh, scallions and roasted nuts. We also received several bowls of popcorn that was seasoned with Chinese 7 Spice and other things that I've already forgotten, but it was a tasty snack in-between courses. Entrees around the table included Ginger Scallion Noodles, Caramelized Blackened Cod, Roasted Chicken Breast, Braised Beef, and Scallops. Every dish received rave reviews from our group as we all shared tastes. I had the scallops which must have been very fresh, served with a unique and savory sauce, plated with baby mushrooms and sunchoke puree. Delish! The beef was tender and flavorful, served on whipped celery root. The chicken was a little spicy and very tender and moist. The cod was served on ravioli with a tasty sauce and perfectly cooked. My wife had the noodle dish which had a great flavor and texture combination of ingredients. (We brought half of it back home with us for lunch!)
For desert we ordered the apple and caramel plate, and a chocolate dessert special. Both plates had unique kitchen-made ice-creams that tasted great. The cream cheese ice-cream was a first and lived up to expectations. The apple caramel place has some little cake bites on it that some thought were a bit dry. This was the first visit to Dashi's for everyone in our group. By the end of our meal, we all agreed that we'd have to return again on our next Sun Valley visit. Mike, our server was very helpful, and provided detailed explanations for any menu questions and food prep.
The inside dining room is small, so weekend diners should definitely make reservations.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This has become one of my favorite restaurants in Ketchum. It features two of my favorite things: locally sourced food and Japanese cuisine! I typically find myself here when I'm craving a bowl of ramen, but am easily tempted by many other things on the menu. The flavored popcorn appetizers are a nice treat. I also recently had a foie gras appetizer rolled in pop rocks - that was different but fun! Couldn't tell you the last time I had pop rocks! Love the creativity.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited this restaurants a couple times during this past year. Their food is delicious, they have off season specials (2 for 1). The staff is very professional and pleasant. The menu is a bit limited, I would like to see more choices.
Also, call ahead and make a reservation. The place has limited seating and often they are too busy to accept walk ins.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We discovered this restaurant during our last trip to the area and were so pleased by the delightful flavors that we could not wait to return.
I don't know if we hit an off night, or if things have changed. The papaya salad was such a wonderful surprise last time, but not quite so great this time.
I had the bbq ribs which were average. Our meal seemed a bit expensive, and the service was just a little slow, especially since we were the first customers of the night. The outdoor patio is pleasant.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Liked everything we had: papaya salads, summer rolls, ramen was awesome and ginger noodles rocked! Very pleasant evening.