“Great weekend get away!!”

Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend stay in this historical hotel. We stayed in the honeymoon suite. It was well furnished with antiques and had a great view of the Portnuf river. The food and service was great. Saturday night we enjoyed the best prime rib dinner that we ever tasted.They have a first class chef and the staf was wonderful. It is one of the most enjoyable places that we have visited. We will be back!!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank west77

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Riverside is the oldest hotel in town, and in some ways you can tell. It needs some paint and repairs, but my room and bed was comfortable. The outdoor hot tub on a deck in back was perfect after my long drive. The continental breakfast was typical, but there was a deck and tables outside to make it more enjoyable. The staff was old fashioned friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. I don't need modern, just comfortable. This is it.

Room Tip: If you have lots of baggage, get a first floor room. If you're not sensitive, save some money an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I were amazed at the hotel. We had no expectations of the place or town. We fell in love with it all. We both arrived stressed and worn out, we left feeling relaxed and full of engery. The hotel and staff are wonderful. We stayed 2 days and didnt want to leave. The hot springs bath was perfect and we were able to regulate the temp. You are able to have privacy in the lava baths which made it more special and relaxing. I recommend a massage if you get a chance,,wow. The rooms are quaint with alot of character and history. The hotel is off the main road and right next to the river. It is peaceful and quiet. The food is great and the service is as good as the food. We are going back for December week end this year. They are pet friendly and our dog will join us. I call this tip a miricle. THANK YOU RIVERSIDE HOTEL.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here the end of June for a family reunion. We had 5 rooms in the place. It could be so cool since it is a very OLD hotel and the location to everything is great. There is no air conditioning in the place just fans. With the temp. outside at 100, it was impossible to sleep. Our room was 83 degrees when we checked in and turned on the portable cooler in our room. It took almost all night to drop it to 73 which was as cold as we ever got it. There was a fun library area on the 3rd floor which was so hot it was impossible to use. Same with the lobby area. The halls were dark and carpet was rippled every where. Everything needed a paint job. We spent 2 nights here and spent over $225 to be miserable. Talking to the other family members no one was able to get a hot shower because the hot water ran out every day. That was fine since it was so hot outside though my grand daughters did not like a cool shower. Winter time I would think this would be a huge problem. When we got back to our rooms the beds were not made and when asked I was told, "Did you request house keeping?" No I had not since I thought spending over $100 a night would include this service.
We would not choose to stay here again. There are a lot of rental properties around and other hotels to choose from. We did have a blast in Lava floating the river and they have a nice out door pool with slides and an in-door pool with climbing wall.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
HistoricRiversideInn, Owner at Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for visiting the Riverside Inn and for your TripAdvisor review.

In addressing your concerns about the property...you state that the hotel does not have air conditioning, however you do go on to say that your air conditioner did not work to your satisfaction. All guest rooms (with the exception of two rooms that have units on order) have state of the art, portable air conditioners which work excellent and are all less than one year old. In addition, there are air conditioners in the lobby, restaurant and lounge. However, with that being said, due to its' historic age, it does not have central air.

In regard to housekeeping, it is our policy to provide service daily unless a guest requests not to have service. I am assuming that there was some sort of miscommunication between the housekeeping staff and perhaps one of the members of your group. However, whatever the reason, we apologize for the lack of housekeeping on your second day.

Guest rooms have been painted over the past four years and most of them have been re-carpeted with improvements ongoing on a regular basis. We are a historic hotel and the building that always needs TLC which is of upmost importance to us

However, with all this clarification from the hotel perspective, we sincerely apologize that you and your family members did not enjoy their stay. .

Thank you again, and we do hope you bring your family back to Lava Hot Springs for future family reunions.

Gail Palen, Proprietor

Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I stay at the Riverside everytime we need a sojourn driving from Wyoming to Montana, and when we just need a fun, relaxing getaway. The inn is delightfully quaint and elegant. The staff is accomodating and attentive. We have tried the massages (wonderful!) and taken advantage of the many special offers, most recently the "Thursday Night Date Night" package as we were on our way to Montana for a wedding. Our dinners in the Riverside restaurant were delicious and our waitress was hghly proficient and knowledgeable about wine choices. We had so much fun that we returned the following Sunday on our way back home. Having snacked on the drive, we weren't really hungry for dinner so we ordered a fine bottle of cabernet served on the upstairs porch/balcony where we enjoyed the sights and sounds of the river.

Unlike another historic inn in the area, the owners of the Riverside Inn appear to be reinvesting in modernizing the indoor hot tubs, and in general upkeep of the property. Thus they get my vote for best place to stay in Lava Hot Springs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was our 4th time staying at the Riverside and each time it only gets better from the excellent food to the massages! I got to know several of the work force this time and Randy was awesome at 6:30 in the morning as well as Cheyenne. We took friends up with us the last two times and they won't stay anywhere else.It really has it all!! We'll be back for sure!!

Room Tip: The "apartment" is a nice, big room to stay in if you can get it booked. It goes fast!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brian F
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a classic hotel, very much like it must have been at the turn of the last century.

Close to celebrating 100 years of business, this charmer may not be for those wishing to have room service, spotless modern furnishings and the maids turning down your bed with a mint on the pillow before your return from a night at the theater.

However, if you have an appreciation of history, enjoy soaking in natural hot springs water in private tubs to your heart's content, and love eating fantastic cuisine, the likes of which you WOULD find in those big city hotels, then this place is for you.

We had a rare chance to have a few kid-free days, so escaped to Lava Hot Springs and had a relaxing, romantic experience.

The hotel is, as I’ve said, much as it must have been in the early 1900s, with the exception of guests no longer needing to share a bathroom with others on the floor. In addition to in-room facilities, there are now TVs in each room, with screens having been added in 2010.

The private hot tubs, filled with natural mineral water from the local hot springs, were awesome. We were lucky to have visited mid-week, so no waiting. We would highly recommend a Sunday-Thursday time frame if you decide to stay.

We splurged and took advantage of the hotel’s in-house massage service. I must point out that Lava Hot Spring is fortunate to have these talented therapists. If they were closer, I would be a regular customer.

The food is, in a word, Marvelous! That this little resort community of ~450 is blessed with a chef with such talent and creativity is one of Idaho's hidden gems. The meal Mr. Thomas prepared was incredible. My wife, wisely, asked the Chef for his recommendation. She was thrilled with the seared Ahi. The salad was complex and flavorful and the Crème brûlée was out of this world. I opted for the Baby Back Ribs. They were full of flavor, moist and tender. The mashed potatoes were probably the best I've ever had. My only regret is that we decided to share desert. I wished I'd ordered my own Crème brûlée!

Bottom line: If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton, this is not for you. If you want to stay in a room where President T. Roosevelt slept many times, enjoy the replenishing therapy of a great massage and unbeatable natural hot springs water, and partake in some of the finest dining to be had between Denver and Seattle, then book a two- or three-night stay TODAY!

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. When you climb the stairs to the front desk, leave the sterile, p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs
Suites of Lava Hot Springs
Suites of Lava Hot Springs
#4 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs

Been to Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!