“dump”

Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa
West Jordan, Utah
“dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

One word to describe this place is a dump. Don't waste your money, stay somewhere else. The toilets don't have lids to shut, no stopper in bathroom sink, no night stands or anything for that matter to get luggage off from the floor. Grown ups walking around drinking alcohol and screaming in the halls. Very overpriced. Carpets must be original carpet because it is dirty. They really push their restaurant on you from the second you walk in the door.

Room Tip: go somewhere else. Dirty place.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank judy s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is so run down and dirty don't waste your time looking at staying here this place ruined our anniversary had to find another place in a town that books all rooms weeks in advance not an easy task

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Gsxrrider1000
HistoricRiversideInn, Owner at Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Greetings. In response to your review "Horrible" and your spouse's second review immediately following, we are sorry that your check in experience was not what we would have liked
for you to have had. Unfortunately, the room that you had reserved was intended to NOT be rented and was marked out of order for repairs due to damages from a previous guest. I most note that you did NOT stay with us at our hotel. We have since repaired the room. We do hope however, that you had a good time in Lava Hot Springs.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

First walked in found profanity cut into the hand rails smells bad found our room with a broken window covered up by plastic and duck tape oh yeah this is in the bathroom just FYI found stains on our sheets the floor and rips in the carpet do not waste your money on this dump if I could this would get 0 stars

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Utahshorts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Once we got more familiar with the town we figured that perhaps the main drag has moved by a block away from the river, making the historic entrances to the old building now seem like they are on the back of the businesses. You enter t his hotel through a back door that isn't marked as a hotel entrance at all but it is one of two options off of the parking lot and the other door was "private". In the lobby the character and charm of a building with great history is captivating and fun. The desk attendant was very nice, professional and helpful. We found our room, which was unbeknown to us, attached with 100+ year old doors to another room (you could literally hear every single word they were saying). We shared a bathroom with other nearby rooms. It seemed clean. Our room was unimpressive. The bed was old and saggy and the carpet and walls were actually disgustingly dirty. The carpet up against the walls had obviously never been vacuumed and literally black with dust and dirt. The walls had drips and splatters of previous guests. Just don't look closely-maybe you won't notice. The hotel sells itself with marketing is very own mineral pools both inside and outside. You sign up for soaking times at the front desk, are given a silly dated robe to wear around (we got good laughs) and are allowed 30 minutes at a time in one of the 4 tubs. One was out of order. The indoor tubs are cement and eerie. The hotel was once upon a time a hospital of some kind and the creepy feel of the basement tubs felt very scary movie. The walls were peeling away from poor ventilation in the rooms with so much moisture. Again felt dingy and unkempt. The outdoor tub is actually a hot tub on their porch. Nice, but not what we had imagined when we read "outdoor mineral spring". We did eat breakfast in the hotel and though the food was great the dining room lacked character. Overall I would say that we imagined different level of cleanliness and private mineral pools. It was quirky and had great service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ams22
Sandy, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We arrived here pretty late at night. We got the key to our room but when we opened the door somebody yelled at us to get out. Upon going back to the front desk, we were told that they had given us the wrong key (and they said the same thing happened a week ago too). Once we got the right key we were placed in the smallest room I have ever seen (No TV, no clock. Only appliance was a lamp which we kept on all night because we felt spooked). I didn't sleep a wink that whole night because all I could hear was people walking up and down the hall and stairs. The bathroom was right across the hall from us as well so I heard that too. I also felt like our room was haunted. We got out of there as soon as we could the next morning and didn't stay for breakfast.

Also another fun tidbit but not the hotel's fault. The GPS location for this hotel was like 30 minutes out of town! We got to lava and the GPS told us to leave and go into this tiny, creepy town about 30 minutes away. We got fed up and decided to just go back to Lava and find a place with a vacancy. Once we got back into town I saw the sign for this place.

All of this for around 95 bucks for the night.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here don't get the cheap room!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SpookyFries
HistoricRiversideInn, Owner at Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear "SpookieFries",

Our apologies first of all for the "Whoops" moment when checking into your guest room. Sometimes a guest may change their rooms around last minute which can sometimes result in an error when it is busy.

The room you selected was an "Economy Room", also called a standard queen, which shares a bathroom with one other guest room. There are only four of that style of guest room in our hotel as all the other guest rooms have been converted to include a private bath. We are working on solutions to also convert those last four rooms to have a private bath and afford more privacy.

As a fun side-note, "no" the hotel is not haunted. As many times as we have attempted to change the GPS location, it does oftentimes provide erroneous information, so we ask that guests find us off of Main Street (between 2nd & 3rd) in downtown Lava Hot Springs.

Thank you for your review. We will work hard to make improvements on our hotel.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm not one to write my reviews based on emotion, I try to be fair and accurate in all aspects of the review I write. However, with that being said, this was a very terrible experience and you may find some frustration and emotional undertones throughout my review of this "bed and breakfast".

I booked this trip on a whim....my boyfriend and I normally celebrate Valentines Day the weekend before or after the actual holiday. So Wednesday (02.05.14), I called the Riverside to see if they had any rooms available. The owner (Gail) advised me that she had just had a cancellation of one of her nicest rooms. She proceeded to tell me how great it was....we would have a TV, our own walk out veranda and the only draw back was that we would have to share a bathroom with one other room. This isn't uncommon with Bed & Breakfasts. So I booked the room. Immediately after taking my credit card, she told me that we wouldn't be able to cancel the room because we were outside the 72 hour window. (I thought this was strange at the time, but later understood why she told me this) So we pack up and hit the road.
The hotel itself, upon first impressions, looked very historic and quaint. We unloaded and went in to register and get settled in. The main area was craziness....they were doing a wine tasting event and it was loud and crazy. So it took a good 15 minutes for anyone to even realize we were standing there waiting to check in. Once we were noticed, the lady started the process and was initially very nice and pleasant. We checked in, she pointed the room out to us and we headed that way. We were a little leary because the room was on the main floor and right next to all of the wine tasting chaos, but we knew the event would be over in the next 15 minutes or so, so we figured it'd be fine. As we approached the room, we realized that this was not at all the room that had been described to us. This room was literally 7' x 7' (that's being generous), it was barely large enough to hold the 250 year old queen bed that was in it. There was no TV, no veranda and we had two other doors in our room leading into the rooms on both sides of us. We seriously thought this was a joke.
We went back up to the front desk and Gail proceeded to tell us that this was the room and that she was in fact the person I had booked the room with a couple of days before. I asked her about the TV, veranda and the bed. She said, you do have a veranda, out of the french doors in the common area, and she then told me that she never mentioned a TV or a King Bed.
I called EVERY other place in Lava Hot Springs and everyone was booked solid.
After being told over and over again by Gail that she was not going to give us our money back, she upgraded our room (at no additional cost) for the one night to a "SUITE" she had on the second floor. And she again reminded us, that she will be charging us for the second night regardless of whether or not we stayed. (Oh, there were no other rooms available for the second night)
The suite was a decent enough room, there was an old box style TV, a private bathroom and a king size bed. But everything in this hotel was so outdated and old, we were afraid to sleep there. The next morning we woke up for breakfast and our "vouchers" had been slipped under our door during the night. So we went down to the restaurant where our $7 per person voucher, would only buy us Granola or a simple breakfast of 1 egg, 1 bacon and toast. So to actually eat a meal, we HAD to spend more money to eat. So our breakfast, even with the vouchers, was still $21, plus tip.
The only thing about this hotel that was actually nice and worth the hassle, were there three private hot springs in the basement.

Not all was lost.....we ended up talking to Vicki, a local there that runs the Grey Stone Inn, and she SAVED our romantic getaway. She offered us a place to stay at a different property and even went as far as to call all of the other B&B's in the area and found us an amazing room at The Lionsgate Inn. (which I will also write a review on) THANK YOU VICKI for saving our trip!!

Room Tip: Make sure you understand what room you are in. If it's on the main floor, do not take it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sommerfun12
HistoricRiversideInn, Owner at Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Sommer,

We always appreciate guest comments and make every effort to make improvements from their recommendations as we will with yours. Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

We certainly remember you and the circumstances of your reservation and your stay with us. We do want our guests to enjoy their stay and very carefully describe the guest room and facilities. I would like to clarify a few of the issues that you pointed out and the circumstances based around your comments.

Although you referred directly to me, the owner, I was not in town when you booked your guest room, however the staff member who did make your reservation and who also checked you in has been on staff for four years and is very careful in describing our guest rooms and amenities.

The guest room that you reserved was a Standard Queen Guest Room. The Inn only has four Standard Queen Guest Rooms remaining (two on each floor). Two Standard Queens do share a bathroom, and we are very clear to state that they are our smallest rooms (approximately 100 square feet) and do not have television nor a veranda off of the guest room. My honest belief is that you misunderstood her and she told you that the room was “not” one of our nicest. We do send out email confirmations immediately restating the accommodations, amenities and cancellation policies.

Your reservation was made on the same weekend as Lava Hot Springs Fire & Ice Winter Carnival. In the weekend of that event, there are virtually no rooms available city-wide. We did have a guest room become available after your check in, and we were more than happy to upgrade you to a King Guest Room. We had your name on a priority list to offer you any other guest rooms that might become available on Saturday night. Unfortunately, another room did not become available; hence you made the decision to find other lodging options.

As you mentioned, guests received a voucher on the weekend for $7 toward dining in our restaurant for breakfast. The voucher provides coffee or tea, and an option of a French toast with bacon, oatmeal Traditional Breakfast, which includes 2 eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns and toast.

Yes, at the time that you checked in, I apologize is very busy and buzzing with lots of activity. The wine tasting that you referred to is one that we host once a year as a fund raiser for the Chamber of Commerce, which was held the night of your arrival from the time of 5-7pm. We are very carefully to end the event in a timely manner and reset the main lobby as soon after the end of the event. We apologize that the wine tasting event offended you in any manner.

Although we are sorry that that your stay at the Riverside did not meet your expectations, we are glad that the remainder of your stay was positive and hope that you return to Lava Hot Springs in the future.

Gail Palen
Owner
Riverside Hot Springs Inn
Livingston, Montana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel impressed me with its charm of a historic hotel, cute antiques, a cool, creaking wooden stairway, large room, beautiful bathroom with white tiles, comfortable bed, super-friendly staff, excellent breakfast AND my dog could stay with me!! it doesn't get much better! A stairway in back leads to the river where my dog and I had a lovely walk in the evening. Lava Hot Springs is a quaint little town with a walking trail to a waterfall. The whole experience was very relaxing. I cannot confirm the reviewers notes that there were "ripped quilts or electrical problems". Maybe I was lucky but I loved it there.

Room Tip: Choose one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
#5 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs
The Harkness Hotel
The Harkness Hotel
#1 of 1 in McCammon

Been to Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!