“Wish I could have stayed two nights rather than just one!”

Home Hotel Lava Hot Springs
ulster county, ny
“Wish I could have stayed two nights rather than just one!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Clean, pretty and well-located with respect to the hot springs and the few shops and restaurants in town. That the bathtubs in the main hotel building fill with hot spring water was a blessing as unfortunately there were storms around the afternoon I arrived. I also loved that the artwork was global in its origin and content rather than another display of western USA themed work. Unfortunately, I found the beds too soft and so did not sleep well there. I mentioned this to the manager and he told me they were planning to replace these new beds they had recently gotten as a number of guests had the same issue. If they did that, I would give them all five stars!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Excellent customer service. Such a charming town and clean hotel in the best location! Definitely worth the little money for a fun adventure. Newly remodeled with my own soaking tub! Slept like a baby.

• Stayed June 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 June 2013

After reading about the Lava Hot Springs, we decided to take a day trip up to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho from SLC while on vacation. It's about a 2.5-hour drive from SLC. If you want to experience some hot springs, it is worth the trip. The downtown area is pretty small, but has a nice homey feel. The main hotel building for the Home Hotel on Main Street is a nice looking building and the hot springs, restaurants and water park are all within walking distance. The Home Hotel actually has their own hot spring well and pipe the water from the hot springs into the bathroom. The hotel room we stayed in was recently remodeled and was everything you could want in a hotel room in a small town. The staff was also very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was or first time coming to lava and it was great! The location couldn't be better! Less than a min to the hot pools & affordable tube rental right next to the hotel. Their hospitality makes you feel right at home. Great coffee at the front desk too:) We will definitely be back to stay here again. Their bathtubs are huge and the rooms are very clean and cozy. It feels like a home away from home. Thanks so much for the great stay!

• Stayed June 2013
Bountiful, Utah
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We came to the Home Hotel as a group of 30 people. Everything was so good. The staff was so helpful. My particular thanks to Misty, and Camille. They went the extra mile to ensure our trip went well. Our thanks to Scott as well. We will come again and look forward to seeing our new friends on many more occacsions. Best of luck to all future travelers who are lucky enought to stay at the Home Hotel.
Sinserely,
Larry

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Lathrop, Missouri
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This was my first time to Lava Hot Springs and the first time to this property. OMG! I'm kicking myself for not discovering this place sooner. I can't say enough how awesome it was, from the gals at front office , the room, the location, And THE BED WAS THE BEST! most comfortable one that I've ever slept on out of all the motels /hotels I've stayed in, EVER!!! . Every thing from the Hot Springs to the restaurant and entertainment for kids and family are walking distance. Really, Really, Nice area to stay and relax at. I WILL DIFFINITELY COME BACK AND STAY AT THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: I Loved my room. I got the sense of old fashion turn of the century feeling when I walked in. Very...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel is a good overall value in Lava Hot Springs. Everything is within walking distance too. We parked Friday and didn't need to drive again until we left on Sunday. Short walk to the hot springs, restaurants.

The hotels new rooms are basic, but clean and really all you need. The high point of them is the doublewide bath, that fills with hot mineral water. That is a really clean way to enjoy the hot mineral water there and very relaxing. I'm a man, I never take baths, but my wife and I both tried a soak in the tub, something about that water is very relaxing--do it before bed, you'll sleep great.

The coffee they put out by the front desk was organic, and tasted fabulous! The staff was friendly and helpful.

Both the hotel and Lava Hot Springs city offer free wireless internet, it's not perfect but it works most of the time.

OK, now for the only downgrade. The hot tubs on their deck, YUCKKK!! We sat in them the first night there, only seeing them in the twilight/dark. In the day time, they are gross. They just need a cleaning. You'd think with the water flowing in, it would keep them clean, but no. The clean water flows in and out the top; the bottom has collected all this gross stuff that doesn't even float. You can see pieces (very small like dandruff) of skin floating and swirling. There's no filterning; no electricity to the tubs either. I love how you can see the river from the deck with hot tubs, but that doesn't make up for them being too dirty.

To be fair, the staff told me they were going to get new ones--great! BUT, right now, they need to keep those old ones CLEAN; they get daily use and could spread infection/disease. The city ought not to allow this either. There's no chlorine (which is ok if they are clean) so don't go in there with a cut, or if you are subject to infections (like diabetics, cancer patients, etc).

The state run hot springs down the street are very clean, so just enjoy the mineral water in your bathtub or at the hot springs, and lobby them to clean those nasty tubs. Everything else there is fine.

Room Tip: Just ask the friendly, helpful staff which room would be good for you based on your needs.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Home_Hotel_Manager, Owner at Home Hotel Lava Hot Springs, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for the great feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your room and our staff. The two outdoor deck hot tubs are being removed on Tuesday, June 25th, 2013. We, too, are not satisfied with the natural mineral deposits that build up. That being said, we disinfect the outdoor tubs several times a week, completely draining them, cleaning them, disinfecting them and re-filling them. Thanks again for your comments. We hope to see you again, soon. Sincerely, Scott Pearhill, Manager / Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lava Hot Springs
#4 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs
The Harkness Hotel
The Harkness Hotel
#1 of 1 in McCammon

Been to Home Hotel Lava Hot Springs? Share your experiences!