“For Lava, It's just fine”

Lava Hot Springs KOA
Jackson, Wyoming
“For Lava, It's just fine”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

It can be hard to judge this campground because my rating is based on the entire area of Lava Hot Springs. This is a tiny little town that, in itself, has fallen into a little disrepair. It is also in a very small "valley" between 2 hills, so if you want to be anywhere near the hot pools themselves, you will be close to the railroad and the highway. I give a huge lot of kudos to the owners of the hot springs facility. The Lava Hot Springs pools themselves are a little Eden within a town that is pretty much in need of a facelift (speaking of the downtown specifically). The other recreation pool in the area is also quite nice.

With that in mind, I though the KOA was just fine. What we liked was the proximity to the hot pools themselves. It is literally a 10 minute easy walk. That was really the most important to us. From reading other reviews, I was reminded of the proximity to the road and to the railroad. So, given that knowledge in advance, I was ok with that aspect. The railroad is very loud and certainly very close to where we were camped. The big trucks going down the road were almost as loud at times. But again, that was ok, for what we were after. Another positive was the new laundry and bathroom facility. It was really quite nice.

It is my understanding that this KOA is under new ownership. There were certainly improvements under way while we were there. The lower portion of the grounds - near the river - were closed for upgrades. It think this would be the ideal spot since it is near the river, is more treed and a little lower - so maybe the road & railroad wouldn't seem as loud?

It could certainly use a little general cleanup and TLC and the grassy areas were mostly patches of grass with lots of weeds. I am hoping that improvements to these areas are what the owners have in mind as this KOA has a lot of potential. We saw 3 other campgrounds within a 1/2 mile of the hot pools and 2 of them were a stretch to be called a campground at all! (again because the area of the downtown is tiny, it is hard to have what people may normally expect from a KOA campground).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tricia r

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Riverton, Utah
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at the KOA for school break last weekend. the facility is up and coming with improvement being made. We stayed 2 days and the owners had no problem that we stayed until 4 pm on the day we left.

The grounds were a bit rough and the pull throughs a bit narrow, I have a 30 foot trailer, with 2 slides, but the bathroom facilities on the east side were new and well maintained. Owners are very friendly and want you to have a great time while staying.

It is close into the main attractions in town (I guess everything actually is close in town, not a very big place). Like other have said, many trains pass through town and you either get use to them or you hate them, we got use to them.

Overall, we will be back. As my middle son states as we were leaving..."It was a good trip Dad".

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lbarlow2_99
Anaheim, California, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed here with our tent trailer, for one night on our way to Yellowstone. The staff were friendly enough, and it is really beautiful to be so near the river. The river is literally RIGHT THERE. (I'd be concerned if I had younger kids or pets along, though, because there is no barrier to the water and the current looked pretty fast when we were there. I think I heard somebody fall in the water in the middle of the night when a bunch of drunk revelers came crashing out of the bushes on the other side of the river.)

Unfortunately, also RIGHT THERE is the road, which was--I kid you not--about four yards above our site, and the railroad track, another 5-10 yards beyond the road. We were awakened multiple times all night by VERY loud freight trains. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad from inside an RV, but in a tent trailer it sounded like the end of the world!

The bathrooms need to be updated. I'm surprised another reviewer called them "clean" because that wouldn't be my take on it at all. I understand there's little the staff can do about the millions of no-seeums flying around the bathrooms (and everywhere else) at night, but the millions of dead no-seeums all over the counter in the morning could be addressed. I ended up taking a wet paper towel and cleaning up all the ladies' room countertops in the morning as a courtesy to everyone else! :D

As pretty as the town of Lava Hot Springs looked, and as pretty as the physical site of the campground is, I doubt we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kris B

Travellers are raving about these Lava Hot Springs hotels

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Lava Hot Springs KOA was awful! $30 a night got us a tiny little plot of land next to a railroad line. We were woken up multiple times every night by freight trains. Other campers were packing 20 people into one space and were encroaching on our limited space. Management was too bashful to deal with it. The campground was packed full of weekend warriors from Utah pulling a year's worth of provisions and noisy ATVs in their oversized expanding trailers. The KOA isn't even close to Lava Hot Springs attractions. Will never do KOA again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott H
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 16 April 2012

KOA Campground in Lava Hot Springs, ID is great. Stayed 2 nights with our trailer. Made reservations online with ease. The campground is well maintained and teh camp hosts are friendly and were always checking up on us to make sure we had everything we needed. Bathrooms are imaculate! Couldn't believe I was at a campground! Very clean and well stocked. Pets are allowed no extra cost. Campground in walking distance to Hot Pools and downtown. Highly reccomend this campground.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family