“Cozy rustic home away from home.”

Lava Hot Springs Inn
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Lava Hot Springs Inn every time we go to Lava. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. The hot springs and lap pool are wonderful. The rooms, both basic and jacuzzi, are clean and comfortable. We liked the fact that the basic rooms don't have televisions because it encouraged to spend more time enjoying and exploring the outdoor experience. Breakfast at the inn was absolutely amazing and the atmosphere was like visiting a relative. We always feel right at home when staying at the Inn.

Room Tip: There isn't really any difference in the rooms aside from there are 4 rooms with a toilet and ja...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had the most relaxing, wonderful time at the quaint little inn. It is not your normal hotel get away which is what we really like. The owner was so very pleasant to us making us feel very welcome. The pools were great. We will visit again and again. We hope that people will step out of the norm to experience the pleasing, relaxing and peaceful atmosphere of Lava Hot Springs Inn. Everyone should go just to meet George.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BonibD
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel is a good overall value in Lava Hot Springs. Everything is within walking distance too. We parked Friday and didn't need to drive again until we left on Sunday. Short walk to the hot springs, restaurants.
The hotels new rooms are basic, but clean and really all you need. The high point of them is the doublewide bath, that fills with hot mineral water. That is a really clean way to enjoy the hot mineral water there and very relaxing. I'm a man, I never take baths, but I did soak in the tub there after my wife, something about that water is very relaxing--do it before bed, you'll sleep great.
The coffee they put out by the front desk was organic, and tasted fabulous! The staff was friendly and helpful.
Both the hotel and Lava Hot Springs city offer free wireless internet.
OK, now for the only downgrade. The hot tubs on their deck, yechhhhh. We sat in them the first night there, only seeing them in the twilight/dark. In the day time, they are gross. They just need a cleaning. You'd think with the water flowing in, it would keep them clean, but no. The clean water flows in and out the top; the bottom has collected all this gross stuff that doesn't even float. You can see pieces (very small) of skin. There's no filterning; no electricity to the tubs either. To be fair, the staff told me they were going to get new ones--great! BUT, right now, they need to keep those old ones clean; they get daily use and could spread infection/disease. The city ought not to allow this.
The state run hot springs are very clean, so just enjoy the mineral water in your bathtub or at the hot springs, and lobby them to clean those nasty tubs. Everything else there is fine.

Room Tip: Ask the staff, they are helpful and will advise you what room to get. I like the new ones with the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Washed
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I spent one Saturday night here with my 10 year old daughter.

If you require perfection and are unwilling to open your mind to new experiences they maybe you should not try this place. However, if you want to stay somewhere that you will remember (just think: how many individual bland chain hotel stays in your life do you remember?) give this a try. I felt like I was traveling in Europe again!

We paid $119 plus taxes, etc to stay in room 4 in the blue Spa building. For this we got a queen bed, a toilet in a *tiny* closet, a standing sink and a giant tub right in the room (no privacy curtain), and a tv with cable/satellite. The room seemed clean enough, although I didn't go poking around looking for issues.The four rooms upstairs in this building felt unusually close together. Luckily our neighbors were quiet! I pondered whether this price was too high, and for the room alone it would have been. But once you factor in the full breakfast and pool access, I decided it was worth the price. Some of the reviewers warn about their rigid cancellation policy and lack of willingness to work with the customer regarding refunds if complaints arise. I luckily did not have to deal with those situations, but that sounds kind of daunting...

The main building intrigued me. I walked through real quick but didn't spend much time there. I think the owners should play up it's history more (as a hospital, perhaps mental asylum, perhaps haunted), maybe with pamphlets, signage, and more knowledgable staff (the front desk lady I asked did not know much).

The breakfast was as if you were staying at a friend's house--Pyrex dishes with egg casserole, potatoes o'brien, blueberry pancakes, fruit, toast, cereal, beverages... Yes the dining room is in the basement and feels cramped and dingy. But this is a 100-year old building after all.

The pools on the grounds are excellent.
The kid was in heaven, the pools are no deeper than 4 feet so I enjoyed lounging poolside without worrying about her going in over her head and I had no pressure from her to try the crowded fancy water slide facility down the road.

Only two things annoyed me, the fact that non-guests can swim there for a fee, and their alcohol policy. And by their alcohol policy, I mean that they state in their rules that you cannot drink by the pool, but there were people openly doing so. And I wanted a beer by the pool too!! But I'm a rule follower, so I guess I lose.

The non-guest admittance thing was annoying, frankly. At one point a rowdy group of drinkers came in, loudly swearing and innuendo-ing, even around the little kids. The hotel states this behavior wouldn't be tolerated.

Bottom line is I think the fellow humans (guests or mere visitors) are the wild cards at the LHS Inn and not the attributes of the Inn itself--if you get some bad humans, hopefully the management would step up and take care of the problem right away or it could spoil the whole relaxing vibe.

Oh, and before I forget: about the trains. Yes, there are trains going through town. This is rural Idaho. There is no spot in town that would not hear the trains. Don't blame the Inn for that, folks. Sheesh.

I enjoyed my stay. The kid was really happy. I'll be back. (Although I'll watch out for the dubious-sounding Alladin building, wherever that is...)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was the worst stay that we have ever had! We were in the Aladdin building, with our bathroom across the hall. At 2am somebody threw a beer can through our window, and it took more than 2 hours for the night guy to come clean up the glass and change our bedding as there was glass all over the bed. In the morning, the owner refused to listen to us and blamed the broken window on us, as well as threatening to charge us for the window. Will never stay there again. Horrible customer service and overpriced for what you get!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eden S
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had issues with this place from the very start. We asked to see the room before we checked in and was told no matter what your paying for the room.
We dont refund your money no matter what. Parking is poor and we had to park a block away we was at the ( Aladdin ) the room smelled it was noisey and we felt unsafe. We asked for a Manager or Owner and was never given a name.
We will NEVER stay here again... They do have some great staff but beware of your safety.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thai-mommy
Reviewed 15 July 2012

First off I will inform you , all of those people who know a good thing when they get there and those that don't ....

YOU have to be willing to let down any ideas you have of what all the spa expereince of modern times has been lately, when 5 star hotels lure you in with all the big promises and perhaps delivery of high expectations . This is an expereince with Real people and charming accomadations and alot of history. I have done alot of traveling and I have always enjoyed the very healing mineral waters right outside your door, a variety of pool tempatures. The river is running in the back of the property. You must realize that you are walking back through time when enter through the doors of this adorable hotel. Enjoy yourself and let yourself unwind.
Get ready and take a walk into european old world charm!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo