“Our stay at the Lava Hot Springs Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lava Hot Springs Inn

and 1 more site!
Mountain Home, Idaho, United States
“Our stay at the Lava Hot Springs Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

This was a most amazing experience. We had made reservations for a Wednesday night and then I had injured my hip and the Dr. wanted to see me for one more visit. I called and Elizabeth was so kind and compassionate to me. She changed the reservation to Friday with no problem. Because of my hip and my husband's bad knees it is very difficult for us to navigate the stairs. Nathaleen was so wonderful to us. She was so concerned about our comfort. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. Elizabeth, Nathleen and Riley were so kind, pleasant and accomodating. I can't say enough good about them. They truly understand customer service. The hot pools were wonderful. We felt so much better and rested really well after being in the pools. We will definately stay there again when we are in Lava Hot Springs. Thanks girls for such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Stay in room #10. It is the bridal suite. A very comfortable room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leahknt1953
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your review and we enjoyed your stay with us. We are delighted that you were pleased with our staff and they met your accommodations to the best of their ability. It is our goal to make sure our guests can relax and enjoy themselves while they are staying at our Inn. Nathleen and myself enjoyed your company, as well as the other staff here at the Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again for many years to come.

Liz and Richard
Managers
Lava Hot Springs Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Arvada, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Nice hotel -- in need of some repair, but evidence exists that says they are gradually updating. Pools are wonderful -- clean, hot (99ish to 108ish). Large pool great for staying in for long periods as it is not too hot. Additional pools behind the main lodge building. Also, they are building an additional pool along the river (very nice location!). We stayed in one of the houses (the Blue House). It was an older building -- kind of like Grandma's with the slanted creaking floors -- but in OK shape. It could use some updating and renovation. Beds were comfortable and location to pools was nice. Saw several unused, apparently "broken" small pools including one in the backyard of the Blue House. The woman that took us to our lodging said it used to be a private soaking pool for the Blue House but they don't use it anymore because it was too much upkeep. For the price we paid for the Blue House, I would think that would have more than paid for the upkeep! Overall, great stay, beautiful location and good soaking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We just remodeled our Blue house with brand new carpet and tile. We look forward to having you stay again and see the updates. We do have future plans for the empty pools at our Inn. We are taking on one project at a time. Our current project is a beautiful new mineral pool designed for water therapy. We hope to see you again.
Liz and Richard
Managers
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The staff is very friendly and accomodating. We like that this place is down to earth and a place you can relax and become one with nature. It gets old to have everything big, new and cold. I hope Lava never gets any of the big chain hotels. It feels fantastic to go to a place where you only have to be yourself to fit in. I love the staff! Liz is an amazing manager, she knows what needs to be done and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. The grounds and hot springs have been clean. Our room was lovely, with the spa tub. My sweetheart and I love this place. We will be coming back! Keep up the great work and attitudes. Yes, this is and old place, one with some history to it. Let your hair down and live alittle! Life would be boring if things were always the same.

Room Tip: Private spa rooms very cozy and have private batheroom
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra M
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
We can't tell you enough how much we appreciate your review with us. I especially enjoy the conversations and the laughs we share together during your stay. The Inn is down to earth and a place to relax, with the beautiful gardens in the summer and the pleasant snowfall of winter. We especially like your comment " I hope Lava never gets any of the big chain hotels," because that is what our goal is, to keep Lava quaint, historic and homey. And yes, we are never afraid to get our hands dirty!! I appreciate your comment on my management since that is what I strive for in my customer service, as well as all of our staff here at the Inn. We look forward to seeing you again and for more wonderful conversations together!
Liz and Richard, Managers, Lava Hot Springs Inn
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is more old school but funky and great. The people in Lava Hot Springs were so friendly and gracious. The hot tubs were 94 degrees to 110 degrees and very soothing. The morning breakfast was superb...an egg cassolet, wonderful sticky buns and lots of other choices. With the special were procured it was certainly a great choice. The bathroom was across the hall and the rooms were small but the ambiance made up for it all. We were coming from Bear Lake enroute to Oregon so it was an excellent choice for an in between stop....relaxing.

Room Tip: They do have king rooms that have their own bathroom if you do not want to share.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
We appreciate your review and are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive to accommodate each one of our guests by providing a warm atmosphere, beautiful pools and a delicious hot buffet breakfast. We hope to see you again soon!
- Liz and Richard, Managers, Lava Hot Springs Inn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at the Lava Hot Springs Inn on a whim because it was a last minute trip and we didn't want to tow our trailer. The older staff (when we checked in) was very nice, but management (Liz) and the younger staff have absolutely no idea what hospitality is. For $200 for a lower than subpar room (which I understand that location is everything), I would expect some courtesy. We had none (again except for the older lady when checked in and the owner {whom I met the next day as he was doing maintenance on the grounds}). It's a bit over priced for what you get, but what ruined it for me was Liz and her inability to treat guests with respect. To me, it seemed like it was her way or no way (though the paperwork that is signed at check in states much different). All in all, better management can make or break this motel. I truly urge the owner (who was EXTREMELY nice) to get different management, and this inn could thrive (also lower the price a bit). The guest's stay speaks millions and what I received from Liz was in no way shape or form an inviting atmosphere. Thank you Liz for making me regret spending the $165 and write a review (which I have never done). BTW Liz has no problem saying the [--]-word in front of children. That definitely is a perfect example of the terrible hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Vwilcox27
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
This same review, minus the comment made by the guest of calling management "white trash" (very tasteful), was once removed from TripAdvisor and now allowed back on. With that being said, I would like to respond to this review since it is throwing my name around in several places. I have years of hospitality experience and would bend over backwards for any of my guests. However, when individuals can not follow the policies of the hotel (set by the owner) after being asked by more than five staff members, it is my job to step in and make sure the policies are followed. Prior to my arrival, the staff member had to call the police to control the drunken behavior of one of the guests who wrote this review. In this case, I take pride in caring for my other guests' safety and protecting them from guests who get drunk and out of hand. Never once did I use the "F-word," because I do not believe in the use of profanity with my guests. It is troubling to me that this guest feels they have to make several reviews on our TripAdvisor page. However, their terminology and lack of professionalism (telling the owner to fire management) should be enough to ignore this review.
To all of our other guests and future guests, management and staff will bend over backwards to ensure a beautiful relaxing stay. The other reviews listed below, with the exception of the negative ones all written by the Wilcox party, will show customer satisfaction in our place and with our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Lava Hot Springs hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our family stayed here this summer, and I found the staff to be helpful and kind. The breakfast is homemade and a nice change from the "hotel" complimentary variety. Although, I must agree the facilities are very old and need updating. The apartment we stayed in smelled horribly, particulary in the kitchen (cat urine came to mind) and we were worried about getting bit by spiders in our sleep. One of the beds was so hard it was difficult to sleep on. I would not stay here again. I'm afraid it was way too much money for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tammy H
LHSI, Owner at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I would like to respond to the poor review given by Ms Henrie. We are very sorry for the smell you encountered which was due to the flooding of the sink in the kitchen above your unit. Our staff immediately responded when told of this flooding and it was cleaned and repaired by morning. There unfortunately is no way to control these things and we do our best to correct any flooding, etc. as soon as we know about it.
We are located in a rural area and there are occasional spiders and other bugs that invade our hotel, which again, we remediate immediately.
We hope that Ms. Henrie will give us another chance.
Owner, Lava Hot Springs Inn
West Valley City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

The Lava Hot Springs Inn is my favorite place to stay. I used to go to a hotel at the other end of Main Street (because it was closer to the main hot pools), but ever since my family and I stayed at the Inn, we do not plan on staying at any other hotels. Sure, it is an older place, but I go to Lava for 2 things (the river and the hot pools), and this hotel is right near the 'exit point' for tubing the river, and their hot pools are less crowded and provide a choice of temperatures. I stay in the Aladdin rooms, just a 2 minute walk from the main Inn, because we usually have 5 to 8 people, and the rooms we get will sleep 6 (Aladdin #6) or 8 (Aladdin #7). We just got back from a 3 night stay, and the breakfast was good each morning. Each day, there was a different type of egg dish, potatoes, pancakes, cereal, toast, plus milk and juices. With me, my wife, and my 3 kids, and 3 of their friends, that buffet saved me about $50 each morning. And the included soaking passes for 8 of us was an $80 value each day. That made the value of the room much higher. When we stayed at the other hotel, and paid for entry to the 'world famous hot pools', if we stayed just one night, we had to pay for entry once on the check in day, and again if we wanted to go in the morning on our check out day. At the Inn, you can soak in their pools until 11:00 pm, and then again as early as 6:00 am the next morning (up until the time you check out). I paid $662.00 for 3 nights, but saved $320 on all day soaking passes, and about $150 on breakfasts. The staff has always been pleasant, and the rooms, although not fancy, have always been comfortable at the end of long day in the water. I'm going back in 2 more months.

Room Tip: Aladdin #7 is great for 5-8 people.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Byron K
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
We would like to thank you so much for this excellent review. We strive to bend over backwards for our guests. We were beginning to feel a negative impact from a few of our guests who did not like our hotel and policies. We uphold policies such as no excessive drinking, smoking and noise so families like yours can enjoy and relax with us. The Lava Hot Springs Inn is not just a regular hotel, we have mineral hot springs and a hot breakfast like you described. We look forward to having you stay with us for many years to come.
Thank you so much.
Sincerely- Richard and Liz, Managers at the Lava Hot Springs Inn.