“Absolute diappointment for the price!!”
Review of Aura Soma Lava

Aura Soma Lava
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I was so excited to finally take my husband and my little boys to visit a place I loved as a child. We rented the Cape Cod Cottage. Run by Aura Soma Lava! The Little Yellow Cottage with a "cute" front!! Scary -dirty -stinking inside. For the price we paid it was nothing like its pictures! VERY MISLEADING!!! To someone traveling from out of state!! I couldn't believe it! Smelled of stale cigarette smoke and the hardwood floors were so bad that my barefoot boys ages 3 and 6 both had to have splinters removed from their little feet!!! I was terrified to let my kids sit on the furniture. Unacceptable!!! We paid a fortune for a dump!! We are so glad it was only for one night. We won't be back!! We even informed the front desk at check out of these little details and they acted like it was no big deal!! Bad idea! I will tell everyone I know who's planning to visit to stay away!!!

Room Tip: I can't offer a tip to a traveler for this company that would be good.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank familiatravelers

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We were in Room # 7 in early July 2012. It was awful. Incredibly outdated everything, antiquated heat and A/C systems, door hardly would close properly, funky smell...the whole nine yards. It's the kind of place where you DEFINITELY want to keep your flip flops on when you're in the shower. I wouldn't use the provided towels to dry my dog. It was pretty darn funky all around. We went down to their privately owned hot springs pool and there were no lights on at all. It's an accident waiting to happen! There were several people in the pool, so we decided to try it, but it was eerie in the complete dark and not knowing exactly what you were wading in. Very freaky. Don't stay here. I know there aren't many good places to stay in Lava Hot Springs, ID, and pickings are slim...but don't stay here. There are other places that are better than this significantly overpriced option. The only way I would stay here again was if the room cost about $49/night. That's all it's worth. Not the doubled price we paid for Room 7.

Room Tip: I can't suggest any tips. If you want a crappy room for a high price, stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We visited Aura Soma Lava and stayed at the Chalet. There were multiple problems that we mentioned to the desk clerk upon checking out and we were expecting a call from the owner but never received one. There were dirty dishes in the cupboards, food / candy in the dishes. The grill was a mess upon arrival. The ladder to the bunk beds on the bottom floor was not attached so if a child tried to use it there was the potential for a very bad injury, so the kids just did not use it. The water sprinklers sprayed onto the lower floor door and water seepage was on the landing making it a slipping hazard. All around not impressed. The reception when we first arrived was very offish, almost cold like we were bothering the lady as we were checking in. Not worth the $189 we paid for each night we were there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 801twinsmom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed Thursday thru Saturday aug 12th. We stayed in the cottage And really liked how lean the cottage was when we stepped in.
We had 2 adults one teenager and a 11 year old and the cottage fitted us nicely. Also for 60$ more u can rent the basement of the cottage. Only if u rent the upstairs can u rent the basement. It has a washer dryer down there and a queen bed!
There were only a few little things that didn't really bother us. We couldn't get the wifi at the cottage probably because it was down a little hill. But that's ok. Didn't need it. Also the kitchen needed some mixing bowls and some non stick pan spray:-) we didnt think any more things were necessary!
But this is something that is impressive. I left my large wedding ring in the room under the covers and forgot to get it before we went for a swim. Not expecting maid service we left and I thought nothing of it until we came back and the ring was "front and center" on the made bed! Now that's impressive!
We don't like to be rude guests and leave messes for the maid. We did some light cleaning and left.
I did go to the front desk and told them how I was impressed about the ring! The lady's were very nice.
I have some ideas to make the cottage even more efficient than it is! But enjoy it! Very peaceful! Even with a lightning storm and train;-). Planning to go back next year:-)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We planned a birthday trip for our grandson and booked two rooms for our stay. When we arrived the water was not working in our daughter's room and in our room the motor on the jacuzzi, which was very loud, kept cycling on nd off. We moved both rooms......and move we did. Way out back to a full size bed from a king size bed. They were unwilling to make any financial adjustments to our bill. Everything was in desperate need of repair and old. On top of all that...I left my necklace on the nightstand. My daughter called as soon as we arrived home but was told that the cleaning staff had not turned it in...very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Gloria F
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Cozy bed, right on mainstreet, and a very short walk to the establishment's own hot springs pool down by the river, Aura Soma has everything you need in this quirky small town.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Disclaimer: It is my understanding that Aura Soma has several rental units, this review is of the 'Cape Cod' rental home only, although I would have to assume the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

Our family was excited to spend Memorial Day Weekend in Lava Hot Springs. We were expecting to relax in the hot mineral pools and lounge around in our quaint rental home. We went to the pools first which were wonderful and highly recommended, the rental on the other hand was nasty. The internet photo showed a quaint little cottage home (no interior photos were available). Unfortunately, it turned out to be a nasty sty. The place was just plain gross and dilapidated. There were water stains on everything, musty old and cheap bedspreads, profuse spider webs in the vents, unsafe electrical outlets, the entire ancient wood flooring was coming apart and creaked whenever you moved, there was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom (which also had no door locks), dust bunnies were pouring out of each of the archaic air vents, and worst of all--there were gobs of hair and sticky goop all over on top of the refrigerator--seriously hair?!?. There was also a scary unfinished basement with dead beetles and only a wire latch preventing any intruders from breaking in. This was a far cry from the advertisement and all common decency for that matter and at $200 a night! My wife looked at me and seeing my equal look of disgust said, "There is no way I can stay here"!

We called the rental lodge and were told due to the holiday there is no other available locations. After our long drive to get there, there was no way we were going to load the kids back up and drive home, so we were stuck. We told them we have no options, but to stay the night. The desk clerk was apologetic and congenially cancelled and refunded the rest of our stay and also partially credited us back for the one night that we had to stay (at least they did that). I took several photos (which I posted here on Trip Advisor) and showed them to the manager, I have to admit that it made me feel good to see him squirm as I showed him how clearly unacceptable and unsanitary this rental was. There is no way they didn't know they were renting crap. I would also be surprised if they do anything to improve the unit--but I at least hope they clean the hair!!!

Room Tip: If you go with this rental agency, choose a rental other than the Cape Cod. Lava hot springs was de...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs
Suites of Lava Hot Springs
Suites of Lava Hot Springs
#4 of 7 in Lava Hot Springs

Been to Aura Soma Lava? Share your experiences!