“Healing Hot Hole”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCall
Burgdorf Hot Springs
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I visited Burgdorf Hot Spring in the Payette National Forest of Idaho recently. I like hot springs. For me, they are my favorite places to heal body and mind.
I did not know about Burgdorf until my friend and I started planning the trip, and a friend told us about it. The reality resulted superior to our expectations.
The place, high in the mountains has an elevation of 6,115 feet above sea level. So no surprising my friend was dizzy the first hours. I was born in the mountains, my body adapted immediately.
The place has only electricity in the administration. The fifteen cabins do not have electricity.
The place has outside toilets, in my native Mexico; we called letrinas, like in the ranch of my grandparents. So, I do not have problems with that.
We had to heat the cabin with fire, at the third night, we learned to do it right, turning the place is a cozy environment.
We brought a butane gas stove and cooked goat sausages and boiled water for mate. It is an easy task, we brought the matches too.
We spent hours and hours in the swimming pool, named swimming hole. The hole is made of timber logs walls and natural soft river gravel. There is not cement around. It is natural warm and clean, probably 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
The place has other two little hotter hots, probably 109 degrees. First when you enter that holes, you feel that you are getting skinned, but it is only the first sensation, then, if you relax and do not move, you can enjoy the healing heat without pain for around five to ten minutes, the max.
Lithium is the main mineral component, but it has also magnesium is a high quantity, as well as other minerals. After four nights an five days, my body felt more flexible, allowing my joints and ligaments to move at ease.
There is something in the environment that makes the people to be friendly. We meet people coming from all over Idaho, but also a couple that has been coming to enjoy the place from Louisiana. They commented “the place is the best.”
A man and her daughter from Switzerland came to visit in a road trip from New Jersey to Mendocino, CA.
Sonia a Montessori teacher/owner from Fife, WA befriended us in the water, shared her macadamia nuts with us, and took our pictures.
The human experience is totally different that Seattle, where we live, where the people can be a little aloof.
Karen and Rick, the administrators maintain the peace and the place.
I do not call in an inconvenience that we had an uninvited guest, or maybe a regular who tolerated our visit: a chipmunk. After we learned that this little creatures do not attack humans, we did not mind its presence, sharing the space at peace.
I hope, one day, I will invite my five grandchildren to enjoy Burgdorf with me in Winter or in Summer, because it is open year round.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Laura G

Reviewed 20 October 2012

It is just like stepping back in time. The buildings are just like in the old westand the mountains around the springs are beautiful.The hot springs are nice and the people are very nice. They really only sell soda and candy. The staff tell you a lot about the history which makes it a fun trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rob2222
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My daughter and i stayed two days at bergdorf. I am 75 and I was razed in that sort of town. I am from Texas and I loved the mountains and the hot springs was good for my 75 year old body. I found the people that work there where real nice. I got along with them. I have lived in ID. for 51 years and have met only two people I did not like I think they were from Calif.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andythepainter
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Burgdorf Hot Springs offers the quintessential Idaho experience and I can't add to anything the others have said. HOWEVER, be advised that it isn't even CLOSE to Weiser, no idea why it is listed that way on TripAdvisor. Weiser is located close to 100 miles away on highway 95. The nearest city to Burgdorf is McCall, which is on highway 55. So check your maps carefully, if you go to Weiser, you are not going to find the turnoff for Burgdorf.

2  Thank P C H
Reviewed 12 July 2012

What a view!
What a fantastic hot springs~
Old log cabins, meadows, and mountains!
Idaho at its finest~

3  Thank tonishel
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Had an excellent soak at this rustic place...much cleaner and better run than in past years...first winter visit, and well worth it!

1  Thank eatmorecakes s
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Now this is what I am talking about! Out in the middle of nowhere in Central Idaho, is Burgdorf Hot Springs. Four of us rented snowmobliles and took off for some riding. Headed for the Springs with our suits. They will rent you towels for about $2 ea. Nicely heated mens and womens changing rooms right nest to the springs. Water in the main/large pool is aboout 100 degrees. Two smalller pools were up to 110-112! Amazing sitting out in the woods surrounded by nature soaking in the tubes. They also have a small restaurant where you can get sandwiches and drinks.

3  Thank judie210
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCall
Best Western Plus Mccall Lodge & Suites
#5 of 8 in McCall
Bear Creek Lodge
Bear Creek Lodge
#7 of 10 in McCall

Been to Burgdorf Hot Springs? Share your experiences!