“Fun and funky decor but beer was flat”

Salmon River Brewery
Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in McCall
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We live in the land of beer in Central Oregon (13 breweries in a small area) so love to explore breweries when we travel. Four years ago when we stayed in McCall the only brewery in town was McCall Brewery, so we were excited to find this new establishment. The decor was cute and the menu had good pub food variety (they need more salad choices, though, for vegetarians). It was unfortunate that on a Thursday night they announced that they were out of 3 of their beers. Hmmm. We ordered the IPA. It had good flavor, but was flat. I ended up ordering a salmon burger for dinner. We were sitting on the back deck and I could watch the cooks preparing the burgers on the bbq. This turned out to be a bad place for me to sit. I watched the young men eat chips and cook the food at the same time. Not good sanitation practices on their part. They weren't wearing gloves or washing their hands between eating and food prep. Management needs to remind the food handlers about food safety, especially when customers can watch them in the act!

1  Thank pancakeprincess1961

Reviewed 23 July 2013

A group of us came in and ordered food and beer which was quite good. Service was bizzare so I think maybe that "Kevin" might still be working there. We had to ask for tableware and follow up on key ingredients like chicken and bacon from several entrees. The server spilled the beer sampler all over our friend. Too many different people serving us caused confusion. I think the lesson here to service staff is that if u want to drink beer and get stoned at same time do it on your own time and not on mine. Food and beer overall good.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Enjoyed the IPA very much. Hopheads had consumed some of the happier options before we got there. Will definitely return!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Our experience at SRB was a bit odd. We came in for dinner and the place was busy, but not packed by any means. Our server Kevin came up and took our beer order, but had a completely indifferent, lazy, "I don't care" attitude. We received our first round quickly, but ended up sitting there for 35 minutes with our server never returning to take our food order or see if we needed another beer. We even finished our beers and set the empty glasses at the end of the table for him to see (we were seated at a table only a few feet from the bar). During that time, he made eye contact numerous times with my wife, but stood idly behind the bar yawning (yes, actually yawning) and doing very little. He never seemed even slightly interested in us, or the two other tables he was serving. People at the other tables had to go up to the bar to get the drinks they had ordered, but never received. After 35 minutes, the manager (Bennett) came by and asked how we were, so we explained what was happening. He apologized profusely, gave us the first round on the house, and took over serving our table himself! He was genuinely concerned about our experience and we really enjoyed the rest of our time. Incredibly, our original server never even bothered to come over to apologize! Kevin, I think you need to find a new line of work. Customer service is not your thing. We had the fried pickles, fish and chips, and fish tacos. All were quite good. The beer was all very good. Loved the IPA! After dinner, we ended up talking to Matt, the head brewer, and he was nice enough to give us a quick tour of the brewery. As a homebrewer, I really appreciated that. In the end, we did enjoy our visit because of the great beer, and because Bennett took the poor customer service seriously and made things right. I would give SRB 4 stars for the beer, atmosphere, and Bennett's assistance, but I can't justify more than 3 stars due to the terrible service we started with.

1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

This is a very comfortable place to hang out, eat, drink beer, & play cards or whatever.

I had the fish & chips for dinner & they were good. My wife had the brat & said it was ok.

I had the Chocolate Stout & my wife had the Double IPA & we both enjoyed the beers.

This is our 2nd time here & we will definitely be back.

1  Thank ScottNicholsonBoise

Been to Salmon River Brewery? Share your experiences!