“What??! No house taps are you kidding me?!”

Salmon River Brewery
Ranked #5 of 64 Restaurants in McCall
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 19 August 2013

When up in McCall I make it a point of stopping at Salmon River to get a growler of Shiver. Not only is a favorite of mine, it is not a beer that is a regular tap here in Boise.
This weekend I stopped by to quence my thirst and I am told that the brewery does not have a single tap of their own. What?!? I find it astounding that a brewery would not have a single tap of their own beer and yet have numerous "guest taps" on draft. I am offered Sockeye, Payette, and numerous other beers that I can get at any taphouse in the Boise area. When I go to McCall it is to drink local beer, the stuff I can't get Boise.
The waitress tells me that is "bad for me but good for them since they sold out of all their beer". Really? Good for them that their own taps are vacant? So now I am now asking myself what is the point of even going to the brewery if I cannot drink one of Salmon River brews? I can go to any local place that has craft beer and have a Payette.... thank you very much.

1  Thank DrApothecary

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Worst thing that can happen to a potential customer in a restaurant is to be ignored. I sat at the bar, as I usually do because I travel alone and don't like taking up tables by myself. I was the only person at a bar that probably seats 10 people. The bartender and a girl who seemed to be busying herself with cleaning chores around the glasses and bottles.. were both standing almost directly in front of me. I sat there for several minutes while she kept her back turned or glanced at me as she moved from one are to another and he chatted with other customers coming in or going out. Neither of them ever spoke to me. Nothing. Not, "Hi, we'll be right with you as soon as we get through screwing around with stuff we should do when there isn't a customer waiting" .. not, "Hey, how are ya, I'll be right with ya" .. nothing. I chose not to stay and I won't go back.

2  Thank idahotourist
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We live in the land of beer in Central Oregon (13 breweries in a small area) so love to explore breweries when we travel. Four years ago when we stayed in McCall the only brewery in town was McCall Brewery, so we were excited to find this new establishment. The decor was cute and the menu had good pub food variety (they need more salad choices, though, for vegetarians). It was unfortunate that on a Thursday night they announced that they were out of 3 of their beers. Hmmm. We ordered the IPA. It had good flavor, but was flat. I ended up ordering a salmon burger for dinner. We were sitting on the back deck and I could watch the cooks preparing the burgers on the bbq. This turned out to be a bad place for me to sit. I watched the young men eat chips and cook the food at the same time. Not good sanitation practices on their part. They weren't wearing gloves or washing their hands between eating and food prep. Management needs to remind the food handlers about food safety, especially when customers can watch them in the act!

1  Thank pancakeprincess1961
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A group of us came in and ordered food and beer which was quite good. Service was bizzare so I think maybe that "Kevin" might still be working there. We had to ask for tableware and follow up on key ingredients like chicken and bacon from several entrees. The server spilled the beer sampler all over our friend. Too many different people serving us caused confusion. I think the lesson here to service staff is that if u want to drink beer and get stoned at same time do it on your own time and not on mine. Food and beer overall good.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Enjoyed the IPA very much. Hopheads had consumed some of the happier options before we got there. Will definitely return!

Been to Salmon River Brewery? Share your experiences!