“Reservations need not apply”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Hunt Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in McCall
Missoula, Montana, United States
“Reservations need not apply”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

After traveling by motorcycle with a big group we arrived in beautiful McCall, ID. When pulling up to the hotel it was well kept and looked like a great place. And to be fair the actual hotel is very nice, and the rooms are nice. However we had made reservations months in advance for a specific room. When we began our check in we were told that that room was no longer available. (Mind you that the charge to this room had already been charged to our credit card at the time of the reservation, so it had already been paid for). When we asked what the point of a reservation was if it wasn't going to be honored. To which we were told that the room we would get was the same price. The issue wasn't the price but that we were the paying customer that had already paid and were now being told that they could not provide us what we had reserved months ago. The lady at the front desk acted annoyed as if we were an inconvenience to her. I was contacted by their website for a review and I put down all of my concerns and have asked to be contacted as I don't think that any "customer" needs to be handled this way. McCall is a small town with MANY options of lodging....don't think I need to empty my pockets into theirs again if this is their attitude. But like I said, the rest of the hotel was pretty nice. Didn't eat the breakfast since there is a FANTASTIC restaurant across the street that has HUGE portions and EXCELLENT prices.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

We were very happy with our room. The staff was friendly and the location was good - right across the street from The Pancake house. The complimentary breakfast was quite good also.

The pool was quite large and the hot tub was also huge!

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Christine E
La Canada Flintridge, CA
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Approximately 3 months prior to our planned stay at this motel in conjunction with the Ride Idaho bike tour, we had to cancel our trip due to a change in my husband's work schedule. We were not refunded our $139.86 and instead were given a gift certificate in that amount for a future stay which will expire in 2013. This left such a bad taste in our mouths that we are unlikely ever to stay there if we ever do plan a trip to that area in the next year, and we're still somewhat baffled that a well known chain like this gets away with such a low-end business practice. Every other hotel/motel along the way refunded our money. Our advice to you: make a reservation somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Boise ID
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Holiday Inn Hunt's Lodge gives a lot of bang for the buck. Free WiFi, The indoor pool, linen package, beds, bathroom, and free breakfast are of good solid quality. It misses that next step in luxury by not having grounds or garden, and for the wall unit heat/AC.
Because of that this has the feel of a nice motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed here during our 5-day visit to McCall. The hotel is clean, decor well done, great beds and linens, and excellent breakfast. It was a great place to base our visit to the area. Reservations handled well and room maintained well during our visit. Love the coffee availability, beverages/ice on each floor and free newspaper.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen55057MN
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Oh, where do I begin! I have never been more excited to receive a survey and have the opportunity to give my feedback on an experience. Brett, an individual working at the front desk upon our initial arrival, was atrocious.

My guest and I arrived at approximately 2:15pm. We walked into the lobby, weighted down in bags and stood at the front desk, staring at Brett, while he stood in front of us working on paperwork. There is an impossible chance that he did not hear us come in. We stood for about a minute before my guest got his attention. His first statement was not "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see you!" or "Welcome to the Holiday Inn!" it was a dismal, lackluster, "Can I help you?"--obviously you can help us. We didn't just stop in for free coffee. I explained that we wanted to check in. His response was "Well your rooms won't be ready yet so come back later." Brett didn't offer to check our luggage. He didn't offer up a time to return, nor did he apologize for the inconvenience.

We packed up our luggage and left, assuming that we should return around three. My guest and I returned at approximately 3:10. We walked in, same as before, loaded up with luggage. Brett was now talking to another individual--a blonde girl--and neither associate greeted us. After standing for about a minute AT the desk, with the two associates immediately in front of us, we were FINALLY greeted by Brett with a "Can I help you?" -- I find it absolutely jaw-dropping that he could not remember us from less than an hour ago and that he STILL was lacking a welcoming attitude.

At this point, I was upset. If you plan on running a profitable business, you have to treat your customers with compassion and an "I can help you" attitude. This includes welcoming them to your establishment and acknowledging them in a timely manner. Brett demonstrated the complete opposite. As someone who has spent countless hours in Priority Club hotel rooms to earn points to use on this trip, I was absolutely let down and infuriated by my experience. After this visit, I would have been more willing to PAY for a room elsewhere then to use the points I had earned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Taylor W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Hunt Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Taylor W,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the unacceptable service you have received during your stay. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously as this issue will be looked into immediately. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at The Hunt Lodge. The rooms are still clean and well kept like all the previous times. In the past the service was absolutely great. Front desk service this trip was indifferent at best. My husband remarked that "She was only friendly because she had to be." We are not demanding hotel guests but we do appreciate it when hotel staff make an effort to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RitaMae541
thehuntlodge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Hunt Lodge, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear RitaMae541,

Thank you very much for posting your review. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay in the past with us and returned for a visit. I am concerned with the level of service you received and would like to learn more about the experience so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. If you would please e-mail me at jon.glidewell@thehuntlodge.com or call (208) 634-4700, then we can discuss ways to make it better.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,

Jon Glidewell
The Hunt Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCall
Best Western Plus Mccall Lodge & Suites
#4 of 8 in McCall
Brundage Inn
Brundage Inn
#6 of 8 in McCall

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Hunt Lodge? Share your experiences!