“Incredible Rafting Trip...made friends and memories”
Review of Hells Canyon Raft

Hells Canyon Raft
Ranked #3 of 6 Tours in McCall
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1982 we have outfitted river trips solely in Idaho. From our home and office on the canyon rim we are pleased to tailor a trip to your interests. Hells Canyon Raft offers 2-6 day professionally outfitted rafting and fishing trips. We challenge the myth that adventure travel has to be dangerous and uncomfortable. Instead, we create an ultra comfortable river trip in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. Hells Canyon Raft offers 2-6 day trips on the majestic Snake River through Hells Canyon, and the beautiful Lower Salmon River gorge.
Milwaukee, WI
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Incredible Rafting Trip...made friends and memories”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

What an awesome trip. My wife and family (adult children) took the 5 day Hells Canyon raft trip. The scenery is beautiful, whitewater a lot of fun, incredible food and fun at the campsites and some great fishing (caught a sturgeon). We were joined by a young couple who quickly became friends and part of our 'extended family'. But what truly sets this trip apart was the guides (Eli, Dillon and Scott). Their knowledge of the river, canyons, wildlife and history of the Snake River was incredible. Got to see some eagles and otters. The days on the river are broken up by some hiking tours, an awesome lunch, some cliff diving / jumping followed by incredible dinners (salmon, Cornish hen, steak) and a fun evening. It's amazing what they can cook with those dutch ovens - even made a birthday cake for my daughter. And the stars at night are spectacular. The equipment is first class with a major focus on safety; so those that have a fear of that 'whitewater' should fear not - they'll get you through it with a lot of fun. Kurt and Heidi have put together a business and experience that has that family feel to it. I heartily recommend the trip and look forward to going again!

Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Just the perfect family trip!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I cannot say enough about this company and our 4-day rafting trip with them last week. I have not found anything to criticize, and have been raving about it for five days nonstop. On the suggestion of a friend who had done tons of research (and was on the trip with us), my husband and I took our two kids (ages 6 and 8) river rafting on the Lower Salmon River for 4 days and it was probably the best family vacation we've ever taken. And that's saying something, because our kids have travelled a lot!! The guides were superb - knowledgeable about the geography/geology/wildlife/history of the area, great cooks, super friendly, excellent with the kids, and great at guiding us safely down the river. We had 4 guides and 13 guests in 3 inflatable rafts + 2 inflatable kayaks + a gear boat (no guests on the gear boat). Plenty of room for everyone, and the staff to guest ratio was perfect. HCR provided the water bags, tents, sleeping bags & inflatable mattress pads, AND THEY SET IT ALL UP!! No camping experience required, honestly. And they found really amazing campsites every night, with broad white sand beaches and calm water for the kids to swim and fish in. The guides made incredible meals (steak & garlic mashed potatoes with salad and chocolate cake; taco salad for lunch; cinnamon raisin french toast with fruit and eggs for breakfast - just an example for each meal). They did all the meal cleanup as well, while we enjoyed the sunset, bathed our kids in the river, relaxed with a glass of wine, etc. Each morning they tore down the tents and packed the gear boat, and then we were off for a gorgeous day of sightseeing and exciting rapids. They taught our kids how to fish, threw the football with them, and played fun games in the river. The Blue Canyon is gorgeous, and the rapids were great for us with our younger kids. That said, we are looking forward to our son being old enough to do the more challenging Hells Canyon (Snake River) Class III/IV with Hells Canyon Raft. Worth every penny. Can't believe I'm excited about going camping again, but we can't wait.

Seattle, Washington
“Amazing Rafting Trip”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I am not even sure where to begin about our trip. I will share that Lilly, our 7 year old daughter, has never camped and I hadn’t camped in about 18 years. So going into the trip I was nervous and apprehensive but chose to do this to get me a bit out of my comfort zone and to find something for Lilly and I to do that we could remember forever. To say that it exceeded our expectations would be a massive understatement.

From the constant emails and questions that Kurt and Heidi answered relentlessly (most of which were fairly ridiculous questions) to the follow up emails after we got home and everything in between was stellar. The beauty of the trip and of the river and canyons. We were in awe each day of what we saw. The amazing white sand beaches and the warm river, the wildlife and everything was truly breathtaking. Now to your company and most importantly the unbelievable 4 individuals who took care of us for 4 days…..

The campsites were gorgeous, great tents and fresh smelling sleeping bags that were waiting for us when we arrived. The food…good lord….the food. It was all so delicious. I have a kiddo who is not so food adventurous so this was the area I was a bit worried about. She gobbled up everything served to her and we were blown away by what those 4 could create each morning, noon and night. Needless to say we were continually stuffed. Most anything we needed we were able to find or be given and it was just so decadent at times.

Our fearless, quiet and a bit more reserved leader Pat. Pat gave us such a feeling of calm assuredness. He was aware of the surroundings at all time and you could tell he took his job and the safety of us all very seriously. He was also able to relax a bit and let us and the kids see what a fun and genuine side he had. He really was the rock out there and he was filled with a true love of the outdoors and rafting that came through so clearly. By the end of the trip I was wishing I had even more time to get to know Pat, he was wonderful!

Kind and considerate Matt. Well he was the first one I was with when we pushed off and I instantly was at ease and so was Lilly. He had a great commitment to service in every aspect. There was not a moment where he wasn’t asking if he could get us something or help us. He was continually present and so capable. I enjoyed getting to know him so very much and loved that he shared his stories and history of guiding and that he truly made an effort to connect with each of us.

Eileen…wow. What a gift for my daughter to see a strong, independent, funny and beautiful inside and out woman guiding the boats. That was an unexpected bonus. I have a quiet girl who sometimes lacks confidence (part of the reason I thought this trip would be so good for her) and she was in awe of Eileen all the time. We loved Eileen. She always, always had a smile on her face and was entertaining and engaging even when she was working hard. She played endless games with the kids and never seemed to tire of any of it.

That leaves us with Mike. I called Mike the onion, because each day we got a new layer of him. He was so funny and entertaining! He definitely offered the most history of the canyon and the rivers and there wasn’t a question he couldn’t answer. The kids absolutely adored him, he was the laid back fun guy who knew all the details of the plants, animals and any cool fact that you might want to know. Mike was entertaining in every way, he was often the one who was stuck sitting up later with Jen and I and it was a treat listening to him talk. Mike worked tirelessly and in between it he was throwing the football with the kids.

All 4 of these guides brought a unique experience to the trip that was so valued. They also had many things in common…..they were always very calm and confident. It was so impressive because at times there were challenges and difficulties with weather and other elements. I am sure they have seen it all and dealt with hundreds of trips and we were nothing new to them, but they all connected with us in their own way. They made the trip….truly. I can’t say enough good things about them. They have some amazing employees there and I think it is what must set this company apart from the others.

McCall, Idaho
“Big River, Big Canyon, Big Service and Fun”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I want to tell you that I had the best time on this trip with a group of old friends and now five new friends. The organiztion was perfect from traveling to the launch, to the meals and camping every night. Our guides were great, providing lots of history about the canyon and those who traveled there to live during different times. My experience was the best adventure on any river in Idaho and I give credit to Curt and Heidi for providing experienced guides who kept us safe and provided lots of laughs. Thank you

Visited June 2014
Altura, Spain
“The Perfect trip!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

You couldn't ask for a more "fun" and adventurous trip! The guides were especially helpful as well as great cooks and well organized! The kayaking was especially fun for those that tried it. Lots of fishing opportunities for some while many of us took advantage of hiking to the fascinating pictographs that the our guides directed us to along the river.

Well worth the time and money!

Visited June 2014