“Awful”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in McCall
Boise, Idaho, United States
“Awful”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This hotel is in extreme need of some TLC and updating. We stayed only for one night (thankfully) and I will not be back unless there are some improvements to the property. If you are going to McCall, spend a little extra and stay at one of the many other options in town. The room was out of the early 80's and the hairdryer was so outdated it looked like something out of a 70's tribute museum (I even took a picture of it because I have never seen anything so terrible - it looked like a mini vacuum cleaner on the wall!). The bedding was cheap and provided no comfort or warmth, the sheets actually felt like they had fabric pills all over them. The mattress was hard and uncomfortable. Someone near us took a shower and it was so loud it sounded like it was in our room! There were shoe scuff marks (!!) on the wallpaper above the bed headboard. There was no screen in the window. There was this OLD lazy boy recliner in the room that was just nasty looking - and to make it even better, when you pushed out the foot rest, a big piece of it was missing showing just the frame. The breakfast was mostly cheap carbs and there was a creepy guy eating the breakfast when he wasn't clearing the tables. Common areas were out of date and definitely NOT something to rave about. Old TV in our room - and funny that on our way out the next day, they were selling the old TV's in the parking lot - NOT classy. The woman at the front desk was nice - but that is the only good thing I have to say about it, other than that it is in McCall, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
TimWML, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Your review of our property is appreciated and we thank you for your feedback. We also want to apologize for your experience. It truly is not lost on us you have many choices to meet your accommodation needs in McCall.

When I arrived at this property three years ago the ownership was excited as was I for the pending remodel. However, due to the economy that has not yet happened. On our own we have made gradual improvements such as the hair dryer you noted in your review. We have in fact replaced over half of those nostalgic (code for older) hair dryers and offer new ones at the counter upon request. We have replaced the wall paper in over a third of our bathrooms with a neutral, modern paint. We have new comforters, new pillows and some more improvements that are modest but that we hope will make a difference in our guest experience. Gradual improvements will continue.

Having spent 10 years with a major hotel chain in many different states (my wife often jokes with me that being in McCall is my sabbatical) I share with my staff all the time there are three key areas we need to ensure are perfect for every guest, every stay. 1. A clean room. 2. Friendly service. 3. A great breakfast.

As the General Manager I take personal responsibility we fell short. It is my intention should you respond to my inquiry to ensure accuracy, to refund your stay. I have also directed our facilities manager to inspect and remove any recliner / lounge chair that may present a negative impression.

If you are ever in the McCall area again, you certainly deserve an apology in person to which I would be happy to make.

Tim Cogdill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Payette, Idaho
Reviewed 18 March 2013

WE reserved the room for 2 nights just so my wife and i could get away as we raise 3 grandchildren who are severly ADHD. We got checked in, Our room being next to the pool had at least 20 kids screaming as loud as they could with no parental supervision....Thats the start of it all....Then went to use the eletronic door key and i had to go back 7 times to have it reprogramed to get back in! So i complained and they put us in another room,( packing all our stuff up) and moving, Guess what? Happened again so i asked to check out! Rachel the assistant manager felt bad and gave us the first night free, gave us a mini suit at normal room rates and a free bottle of wine! Thank you Rachel !! But the noise continued at the pool all night long and coming to find out that they let anyone off the streets come and use the pool and hot tub....I cant say i will stay there again but thanks again Rachel for trying to cover up your owners poor way of running a hotel! Jon Cline, Payette, Idaho

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool if you want to relax!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nashvillejonny
TimWML, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I want to apologize for your experience not being what it should have been.

We did indeed have problems with a bad batch of keycards and have remedied that issue. The pool hours are 7am -10pm and should be managed accordingly. That obviously did not happen and again, our apologies for that as well.

We do allow our local residents to use the pool for swimming lessons if those lessons are held in designated hours which do not impact our peak periods of business and do not affect the comfort of our guests. That policy may have to be revisited / managed better or altogether discontinued.

It is not lost on us you have other choices to accommodate your overnight needs. It is our hope if you are again in McCall that we may have another opportunity to "get it right". We did drop the ball on our service to you and though it appears we did make our best effort to correct the situation, we should have done better in that our employee was not put in a situation as they were. As the General Manager I take responsibility for that and will take steps to rectify.

You compliments to Rachel are appreciated and will be shared.

Caldwell, Idaho
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We've stayed here for the past 3 or 4 years and we love it. We've had hiccups but every hotel will. The rooms are comfortable and large and reasonably priced. My son loves the breakfast and the pool. This morning there was a large bowl of fresh strawberries which make his day. Last year I spent 20 minutes on the phone with one of the gentlemen telling me all the great (free) sledding hills and any time I've asked the staff for anything they've always been smiling and helpful. I can't wait to see what the upgrades will bring.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Indecker
TimWML, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Thank you. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to have met your expectations for several years in a row!

Your comments will be shared with the staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We almost gave up on our trip to McCall when we couldn't find a hotel for under $100 a night that would take all 6 of us in one room and then I stumbled upon the America's Best Value Inn and honestly thanked God for it!

Not only did we get a room with 3 beds, but we got a decent breakfast, great service, and a pool to play in when it was too chilly out to go to the lake. It is all about expectations. We understood that this was a budget hotel and things weren't going to be the same as The Shore Lodge or other upscale area hotels.

The Good:
The service is excellent. We balked for a moment when we found out that there wasn't any elevator and our room was on the 2nd floor, but the staff was willing to help lug our stuff up stairs, and it really wasn't that hard.
They helped me with patience when I had trouble (user error) with the washing machine.
The place is a great value for a family. The family sized rooms are over the lobby and common areas, which alleviates the stress for trying to keep the little ones from running and jumping every second.
The tub was large and a jacuzzi.
The breakfast was helpful to have for our large family. I would like to see more healthy options – whole wheat bread options, more fruit, and non-dairy milk.

The Bad:
The place is older and is a bit worn. It could use some paint and such.
The beds were hard for us, but that is because we are used to memory foam.

Room Tip: If you need the 3 beds, they are ONLY on the 2nd floor, so be prepared.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Peoria, IL
Reviewed 26 July 2012

From the previous reviews and a 4-ball rating, I expected a bit more. I'm not picky; I just like clean, well-maintained properties. Unfortunately, Am. Best Value fell a bit short. The areas where they fell below the very good rating were: no elevator so we had to schlep our luggage up the stairs, hallways looked worn, only 3 pillows on the bed and scratchy sheets, no fan in the bathroom that worked (the one there was dirty and gross-looking and had no effect on the humidity), only 2 bath towels in the bathroom, breakfast was OK but no one was there to keep it clean so there were spills and only 2 pieces of a strawberry left for fruit. Overall, it was an OK place to stay, but only average at best.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
TimWML, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
My first order of business is to apologize for not exceeding your expectations, much less meeting them. As the General Manager I take full responsibility for your experience and will share your comments with the staff for training purposes. It is not lost on us that you have many places to choose to stay in McCall and your put your trust and confidence in us. You deserved better.

We pride ourselves in three key areas. Cleanliness, friendly service and a great breakfast. We realize these "key" areas are critical to our success. So I thank you for your feedback.

It is my hope if you are ever in the McCall area again you will give us a "second chance" to provide you with an experience you deserve. Should we be so fortunate to have that opportunity, please make it a point to contact me directly before your arrival and relate your previous experience to me so that I may personally monitor your comfort.

Tim Cogdill / General Manager
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - McCall
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We needed a place to rest from Boise to Winchester and stumbled across the Western Mountain Lodge online. We booked a night and were greeted with warm and yummy chocolate chip cookies and a very friendly front desk staff. The walk around the town was great and not far from the hotel. The drive around the lake was nice as well - but lots of mosquitoes so bring repellant if you want to get out and walk around. Milkshakes at the place across the street were delicious. They suggested we book a room for the trip back, and good thing we did because the entire town was totally booked up when we got back in town later on the same week. Breakfast both mornings helped to kick start us each day and the pool and jacuzzi were well maintained and we went when there were no screaming kids. Room was nice with a couch, frig, microwave - everything was perfect. Even got to see a bear in the garbage early one morning. Overall a great place that even gave us the government discount - even better place with the great price. We would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank regina812
TimWML, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Well "for sure" we like your comment! (humor).

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we did. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Tim Cogdill / General Manager & Staff
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We were up at McCall to ski Brundage and eat at the Blue Moon Yurt, and made no reservations to stay anywhere. Dropped into the Western because it is "downtown" and the manager was nothing less than amazingly gracious! Gave us a little upgrade to our room, was super friendly and humble, and just repeatedly let us know how he could be of any assistance. There was an expanded continental breakfast from 6-10 that was also nice. The room was fine, the heating unit was tremendous, and we walked everywhere we needed to go.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hartimage
timcogdill, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted you found our service and our hotel met your expectations. We always strive to give an upgrade whenever we can, we are happy you noticed.

Please keep us in mind for your next trip to McCall.

Regards,

Tim Cogdill / General Manager
& Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCall
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Hunt Lodge
#4 of 8 in McCall
The Rustic Inn
The Rustic Inn
#6 of 8 in McCall

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!