“Great Stay, But....”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in McCall
Golden, Colorado
“Great Stay, But....”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed at the Shore Lodge for a friend's wedding. The location was fantastic, the views were gorgeous, and the rooms were very nice and comfortable. Unfortunately, in our rush to leave and make it back for a flight out of Boise, my husband and I managed to leave all of our running clothes in a drawer. We realized our mistake less than a week after our stay. At that point, I called the Shore Lodge to see if our items had been found. After multiple calls with the front desk (none of which where they called me back -- I had to initiate each call), I was told that the items had not been found and I was finally put in contact with the manager of housekeeping. At first he was quite responsive -- calling me back to tell me that they were searching for our items. But then I never heard back again. After calling back myself, I was told that the items were not found but they would let me know if they ever were.

Unfortunately, I can't help but suspect that someone chose to keep them and take them home. The items were used, but name brand. The frustrating part is that some of the items were personal favorites that are no longer made and so I can't even replace them. It seems to me when you pay as much as you do for the rooms at Shore Lodge (we were in an upgraded room with a balcony and view of the lake), you should be able to get your stinky running clothes back if you accidentally leave them there. At the very least, they should be able to call you back. Sadly, it made me question the integrity of the employees and taints the memory of our stay. Very disapointing!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GoldenTraveler2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Shore Lodge is incredible. Easy access off main road, friendly and attentive staff, food & bar (with live music) on site, water sports, sits directly on lake. The decor is dated but still nice. Newer bathrooms with granite & loved the soap/shampoo amenities- smells incredible! Chocolate chip cookie for turn down service? Yes please. Lacks many business options- this is clearly the place to come & relax. Would love to return!

• Stayed August 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I had not been here in 30+ years. We used to come every summer when my dad had a meeting here and we always looked forward to it. We had a garden view room, which usually just means the parking lot, but our view was a roof and large ventilation unit, but it was very quiet and no noise from the parking lot. The room had a nice sitting area with 2 comfy chairs. The bed was very comfortable. The "English manor" decor was a little odd along with all of the gold fixtures. I was expecting something more rustic for decor. There were tea bags in the room, but no way to prepare the tea - if you used the coffee pot your tea would taste like coffee. Obviously no one thought that through carefully. The toiletries are wonderful - all of them are from the spa. It was very easy to plug in my Cpap machine - there were unused outlets near the bed. There were complimentary wine and snacks at check-in. A little more orientation at check-in would be nice. Pretty much all they do is tell you how to find your room (HINT: no elevators). Would be nice to know about pool/beach towels, location of hotel facilities, availability of hotel shuttle, spa, etc. Staffing was rather hit or miss. The hotel was full, yet staffing was too thin. There were desks where staff should have been, but no one was there. Seems like there should always be someone near the front door to welcome and direct you.

• Stayed August 2013
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Shore Lodge is a destination that ill not disappoint. The facility is nearly perfect and the staff is an A+. This is a resort that will jot disappoint. Make sure you eat at the Narrows Restaurant. The menu is terrific and the prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: The lake front view suites are the way to go.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We took a summer family road trip to Idaho, primarily to go to McCall where my husband was born. I dreaded the trip at first (preferring Hawaii....or...anywhere but Idaho!), but after doing a search and finding Shore Lodge online I thought, "this I can handle!".

When we arrived, I was stunned by the beauty of the place. Our room overlooked the lake and was spacious as well as luxurious. The staff was amazing, and catered to our every need. The resort is fronted by a lake with a sand beach, docks, boats for rent, and a water trampoline. There is also a fire pit where supplies for S'mores are provided nightly and guests gather to sit in white wooden rocking chairs and share conversation. The lounge has breathtaking views of the lake and mountains beyond. There is a family game room with table shuffleboard and other fun activities, and a small movie theater that serves popcorn, soda and other goodies. We were unable to book the movie (it only seats about 25 I think), but the staff delivered all the popcorn and goodies to our room for an "in suite" movie experience! There are bikes (no charge) to check out to ride around the lake. The little town of McCall is adorable as well.

My husband played golf at the Whitetail Golf Club, which he said was one of the best golf courses he has ever played (and he is a PGA golf professional!!). I highly recommend the Shore Lodge!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We brought out of town guests here for an overnight trip. The hotel is very nice, comfortable, and clean. We selected a room facing the lake on the 2nd floor and the view was magnificent. We would stay there again if we make another trip to McCall.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My family has been coming to Shore Lodge since my grandparents made it a favorite spot of theirs in the 1950's. My brother was married there in the 1980s. To say the least, it is a very special place to us. McCall is magical, and Shore Lodge is THE place to stay if you don't have your own home on the lake. We recently stayed there the weekend before the crazy Fourth of July weekend and had such an amazing time. The new owners have thought of everything, down to the last detail. This is truly a first class place. Be sure to book ahead for a lake view room, it is well worth the extra price. Enjoy their lovely pool and hot tub, beach, free s'mores at the evening campfire, the wonderful Lounge chairs at the end of the docks gazing at the stars, the fun trampoline in the lake for the kids, the great bar and live Music, the wonderful restaurants, rent boats, jet skis or whatever you desire to enjoy some lake time, free cruiser bikes, the movie theater...I could go on and on. Simply outstanding. I am so heart warmed that a place as special as this has been taken to a new level of elegance and high level of care and attention to detail- without being a private and exclusive club, but a place open for all to enjoy again. Everything...simply perfect. Bravo to the new ownership team. I couldn't recommend Shore Lodge more enthusiastically!

Room Tip: Lake side room is wonderful if you can afford it. If not, you still won't be disappointed if you...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 103lisas103
Dan S, General Manager at Shore Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Your review simply made our day - thanks so much for sharing your story! We have been honored to be the second home to families like yours for generations and we look forward to continuing to be a part of your special memories for years to come.

Thanks again, safe travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCall
Best Western Plus Mccall Lodge & Suites
#6 of 8 in McCall
Brundage Bungalows
Brundage Bungalows
#6 of 9 in McCall

Been to Shore Lodge? Share your experiences!