“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in McCall
Meridian, United States
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Shore Lodge is a beautiful hotel set in an amazing location. The views and service were outstanding. The food was memorable. They have done a fine job of providing 4 star service in McCall, Idaho. Whitetail is one of the nicest mountain courses I have ever played and i will definitely be bringing my family back here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have never written a bad hotel review on TripAdvisor, but my stay at the Shore Lodge compelled me to do so. This hotel bills itself as a five star hotel but the service and professionalism of staff and management leave much to be desired. Soon after we checked into our room I found a greeting card in the McCall coffee table book. I thought was a welcome card from the hotel. It wasn't. It was a card with marijuana in it. There were actually two cards with weed in the book. So I gave them to the front desk. Security director called and asked where I found the weed, was I upset, etc. He said that he would use the weed I found as an example to train housekeeping staff better. I told him that I had kids in the room and just wanted the hotel management to be aware of the situation. I didn't think the maids should be blamed for this. Meanwhile we went to the beach and heard loud construction adjacent to hotel. It was incredibly loud. Didn't think too much of it though. Next morning at 7:45 the banging started; pile driver breaking concrete. Shook the entire room and woke the kids up. It felt like a 5.0 earthquake every 10 seconds. Called front desk and asked to be moved. The front desk said there were no other rooms. "It's summer in McCall." She said many other guests were calling to complain. I told her that we should have been advised of the construction prior to booking the room. She apologized and said she would talk to her supervisor and call me back. She never did. Next day banging continued; room shook; kids didn't sleep and were very cranky. I called again and spoke with Katie. I politely asked again if we could be moved. I was told no. So I politely asked if I could get an adjustment on our bill. She said she would ask her supervisor and call me back. She did not. When we came back to the hotel in the evening, the banging was still going on. It continued until 8:00 pm! I again called the front desk. I explained that I never received a call from a supervisor regarding the situation. The nice young man told me there was no manager on duty and he could not adjust my bill without approval. He said he would have a supervisor call me in the morning. The call never came. But the construction crew was very prompt in the morning and the annoying noise ensued again. I called the front desk and got Mallory. I explained the situation. I asked if we could get an adjustment on the bill. She said the construction was not hotel construction. She said the hotel was completely unaware that the construction would be occurring. I was really surprised by this, since it is a major infrustructure project - they are rebuilding the bridge adjacent to hotel. But I said even if you didn't receive prior notice, you certainly know now. She agreed and admitted that many patrons were complaining. So I asked again - for the third time - if I could get an adjustment. I didn't even ask for a specific amount. I explained that I wanted to work with the hotel. She said she would call the general manager, Dan Scott, and ask him. She called back and said he refused, "because the construction is not ours". I told her that my request was not unreasonable and I explained that a five star hotel should develop a plan to deal with a situation that would cause significant disruption. I asked her to consult again with the general manager and let me know if he will reconsider. She apologized again and said she would talk with him. When she called back, she said that the general manager was happy to extend a 10 percent discount off
of our next stay. And "he won't even put a time limit on it for you!' But he refused to make any adjustments on the bill. Amazing. A 10 percent adjustment would have been $30; 20 percent $60. A complemtary breakfast or massage maybe $100. But instead a shot of arrogance came for free. The hotel is fully booked in the summer, and the general manager probably feels that he doesn't need to keep all the guests happy when something like this happens. But a quality hotel always makes adjustments for guests - sometimes even minor adjustments make a huge difference. Very disappointing experience; we would have been loyal retuning guests if an adjustment was made. Location of the hotel is breathtaking. But we will not be retuning. Please note that the construction will be going on through November 2014, according to the foreman on the construction crew. So be aware if you stay in the hotel that any of the rooms to the right of the lobby near the gift shop are mere feet away from major construction!

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank TraveljunkieinCA
Dan S, General Manager at Shore Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. As the bridge construction is unrelated to the hotel, we are not given substantial notice about the specifics and cannot always anticipate the potential noise intrusions. We can understand your frustrations and apologize that this information was not conveyed to you more effectively. We will be using your feedback to improve our communications with future guests during this transitional time, as well as to better train our housekeeping staff as promised. We hope you will give us the chance to better serve you in the future.

Thanks again,
Dan Scott
Sunnyvale, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We are an older couple and stayed here one night while traveling home from Spokane, WA. What a great place! I'd like to stay here for a week. Our ground floor room (162) was huge and luxurious, the food in The Narrows restaurant was excellent, and our breakfast was sumptuous . The staff were cheerful, courteous, helpful, and efficient. They made our stay pleasant and easy. The resort sits right on the shore of the lake in a gorgeous natural setting. We were just a few steps from the sandy beach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Del Mar, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The setting is beautiful in summer or winter. The staff is exceptional, always attentive to your needs and providing exceptional service that makes each stay a warm, comfortable and memorable experience. This is a great setting with excellent amenities and staff that treats you like family. I always look forward to retuning for my next stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2014

wonderful lodge on the shores of lake payette. this facility has been around since the 1940's. facility is in good shape and is quite comfortable, yet retains that rustic feel. staff is friendly, at times a bit shy - but usually quite helpful. this is a good place for the whole family, or perhaps a romantic getaway. really enjoyed breakfast sitting beside the lake. take your jacket because it will likely be cool - but the scenery is outstanding and the food is quite good too! lots of nice amenities for the whole family. would also recommend a visit to the spa. highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
whitebird
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A wonderful hotel on beautiful Payette Lake. Excellent and very friendly staff from the front desk to the room service and cleaning crew. The food at the restaurant was amazing - again with friendly and experienced wait service. The room was clean, well equipped and had a beautiful view of the lake. It was very quiet and serene. The spa and treatments were very comparable to First Class International spas I have been to. The prices were good and the staff, excellent. the hotel overall was Very welcoming and a nice treat.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must.