“Good, but...”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Meridian
Starke, Florida
“Good, but...”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here for one night on a work trip, arriving on Sunday evening. I chose Courtyard because unlike many of the other hotels in the area, it has a restaurant onsite. I was therefore disappointed to discover that the restaurant was not open on Sunday evenings, even though this is not mentioned anywhere on the hotel's web-site. To add insult to injury, as a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, I was given a voucher for a complimentary drink with a dinner entree, which of course, I could not get. The bedroom was fine—typical Courtyard—but as other reviewers have noted, the internet was slow.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us back in Ausgust. I apologize that you came to our hotel only to find that our restaurant was not open that day. We are indeed closed on Sunday evenings but would love to have you back as our guest in the restaurant any other day of the week. Thanks for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
socalif
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Total stay of 4 days, good and bad rooms. For the first three days room was quiet, things were pretty good. The towels in the rooms are really thin and scratchy, the worn towels I use at home to wash my car are in better shape. On the 4th night the number people in our room changed so we changed to a different type of room. Despite requesting a top floor room, (over 3 times) we were originally given a first floor room. Then maybe because we were using our AAA discount, I don't know for sure the room we were given is small cramped and in an area that contains both non smoking and smoking rooms. The smell of smoke is heavy in the hall and we have to place bedding near the door to keep the smoke smell from creeping into the room. Finally the internet service is slower the old dial-up.

Room Tip: Ask if there are smoking rooms nearby if smoke smell bothers you. Rooms facing the courtyard are th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Hello,
We appreciate your willingness to take time out of your day and share your feedback with us. This is a very useful tool in improving our service to you and all our guests. While I was disappointed to read that you had trouble with a smoke smell and the internet, I can assure you that we are a 100% non-smoking hotel and will work very diligently top provide the kind of experience you would expect at a Courtyard by Marriott. We will use all the information you provided to improve the guest experience at our hotel. I hope we will have a chance to serve you again in the near future. Thank you for staying with us.
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I visited this weekend for a family reunion. This meant most of my time was spent at the hotel. I must say this has been one of the best experiences I've had a hotel. The entire staff was friendly, warm and most of all accommodating. I arrived well before check in time and I was able to get right into a room without even having to ask. The entire banquet staff and management assisted with any little or big thing came up. As someone who takes service extremely seriously, I'm not easily blown away and I was truly blown away by the awesome staff!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for such a wonderful comment. We are very proud of our staff here at the Courtyard Meridian and your comments are the reason why. Thanks again for taking a moment to share that with us- it makes our day! We hope to see you again very soon.
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Beds are hard as a rock but the staff, morning afternoon and night, are just great. Very friendly and accomodating staff. I'll go back. The rooms are clean. Not sure I will eat at the restaurant again. Had the crab cakes which were pretty gross. Cant ask for more from a Courtyard!

• Stayed July 2013
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hello and thank you for your note regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you found our beds uncomfortable but certainly was happy to read that you were pleased with our staff service. We look forward to your next visit and the opportunity to provide a relaxing, comfortable stay when you return to the Boise area.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past year, and simply overlooked providing a recent write-up. Basically, there must be a new manager, because everything is a bit "off". Staff smile less, if you want another box of tissue, the cleaning staff will tell you 'no'. In short, the warm atmosphere of hospitality has been replaced by the sterile 'by the book'. Procedures first, customers second.

So, when the Internet was out in the evening, the front desk told me that it was me and my computer. That meant reading a book and not getting my work committments complted. Turned out the next day that I found out it was a hotel-wide problem.

Food was great. Excellent and creative. Rooms were clean, and everything worked fine (except for extra tissue (buy it at the drug store before arrival).

The pillows are terrible (as they are at all Marriotts). Thick as a brick. Cannot figure that one out - medical doctors, chiropracters, etc., all recommend a flatter, thinner pillow - why Marriott wants to have the thick, neck-killer pillows is always a mystery. My solution is bring your own. I know the hotel is forced to adhere to Marriott 'standards' but I wake up every morning with a neckache. (Yes, I always ask for a thin foam pillow, but they are just as thick as the feather ones.)

So, in balance, an OK place to stay but not very warm or inviting. Just another big-brand hotel looking for profit maximization. Remember, bring your own pillow.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CJ5687
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to read your comments regarding the food and clean rooms. I apologize that your overall experience wasn't more welcoming, relaxing, and friendly. We are always working to improve the guest experience and these comments were very helpful. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 May 2013

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and we had good food at breakfast; great selection of items. The rooms were clean. Kids loved the pool. I like that the hotel is smoke free. Check in and check out were a breeze.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Hello and thank you for choosing the Meridian Courtyard for your graduation trip! We appreciate your comments and were especially happy to hear how much you enjoyed the service, food, rooms, and smoke-free environment. We hope to see you again soon!
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We have stayed here for about six years now every May. The last couple years the hotel has been overrun with kids running up and down the hallways until late. The hotel does put up signs, but that does not help the kids slamming doors at two in the morning and shouting in the halls. Around midnight, one of the "chaperones" was out in the hall talking loudly to some students down the hall. At breakfast, the kids were there this year eating instead of going somewhere else. All the staff could do was complain about them. This was probably our last year staying at this Courtyard. It used to be a nice peaceful place with business people staying there, but I guess they would rather have the money from the schools. P.S. I noticed this year they did not bother to ask how my stay was or the person behind me.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob725
Alan T, Manager at Courtyard Boise West/Meridian, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Hello Bob,
I am very sorry to hear that your trip was less than desirable this year. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I sincerely apologize that we failed to deliver that to you and your family during your most recent visit. I do, however, appreciate your comments. This feedback is very important to us and helps us improve our service. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.