“New Management, Exceptional Service!!!”
Review of Mountain Home KOA

Mountain Home KOA
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mountain Home
Mountain Home KOA
“New Management, Exceptional Service!!!”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I arrived at the campground at around 5:30 and ask about a tentsite no problem and I was shown the best tentsite I have camped in during my stay in North America (6 months or so of travelling).

Check in was nice and easy no hassles.

The facilities are excellent with a spacious common room and very nice grounds. While I was sitting in the common room, the hosts first offered me something to eat and then a little offered to upgrade me to cabin for free as temps were expected to drop down to 25ºF during the night.

I can't speak highly enough of them.

They mentioned they had only taken over management and well are they an exceptional job. To those who had bad service in past, come back, to those reading the bad reviews things have changed.

I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Iedemasl
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you so much for the nice words. Happy to have met you, and we look forward to seeing you again. Drive safe and Happy travels.

Business
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was the second time we had planned to stay at this KOA. Last year the host got angry because we arrived at 9:15pm & she was closing up at 9pm. She was very put out to have to turn her computer back on & let us check in. We wrote it off that maybe she was just having a bad day. We made reservations again this year & paid for our group online. The person that made the reservations wasn't going to arrive until very late, so she gave the reservation information (including a print out of the email confirmation) to another member of the party that would be arriving earlier. We got there & the host wouldn't let us check in!! She said the person that made the reservation had to be there in order to allow any of the group to check in. We had her call the person that made the reservation & they explained that we were all part of the same group, had already paid all the fees, and it was ok to let the rest of the group to check in. She refused to allow that! The person that made the reservation wasn't going to arrive until around midnight - and she refused to be available to allow them to check in when they arrived. She was EXTREMELY rude to everyone in the group!! We ended up having to cancel the reservation & go stay somewhere else. When we asked for her name, she refused to give it. She was so unprofessional & incredibly rude, I cannot imagine the owner, or even KOA as a whole, would want her to run anything in their name! We will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank M F
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize for the results of your last visit. I would also like you to know that we are currently under new management with new priorities. Currently managing the campground is Harry and Carla Workman. We have been affiliated with the business for over 20 years; however have just taken over the positions of Managers. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe, and friendly environment for you. Please consider returning and giving it another chance

Travellers are raving about these Mountain Home hotels

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My wife and my brother stayed here last week. They had a horrible experience with the host. She was extremely rude and nasty. This is NOT the way to run a business and she should be kicked out of that position or else it's going to give KOA a bad name. I'll think twice before staying at another KOA. She should retire and/or take classes on how to properly run a public service business. The only problem was that my brother didn't pay the night they arrived because it was very late and they weren't sure how much to pay. The first thing in the morning she came by and accused them of trying to camp without paying and threatened to call the police, even though they were obviously not trying to leave without paying and most were still sleeping. She also told them to "get off the lawn". What are lawns for in a campground? She also overcharged them, out of spite. $54 for a single night, for 7 people with one tent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Please let me first appoligize and inform you that The Mountain Home KOA is currently under new managment. The is no longer a horribly rude host. That sort of behavior is not exceptable by the KOA and will not be tolerated.
My husband Harry and I are the current and extremely friendly host's. Please consider returning and giving us a chance to correct the wrong that has been done to you.
Thank you, and again I am sorry.
Carla and Harry Workman
Vienna/Austria
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We arrived on our bicycles well before 7 pm on Monday, 22nd August 2011, at the campground office looking for a place to put up our tent for the night. The office was closed and there was no information as to where to find the host nor that he/she would be back at the ofice at all. It was not the time yet for a night reservation; instead we were there well within the office hours.
The whole site presented itself in a rather untidy an badly maintained state. There were only very few campground users. On most of the sites sprinklers were in operation, and the watering had evidently been going on since long. After a couple of minutes a man turned up and pointed to site T1 saying that these sites were for cyclists with tents. The site was flooded, and the adjacent site, T2, was next to a huge garbage container and not acceptable. The man answered that we should ask „her“ and walked up towards an RV standing near the campground entrance. This seemed to be the place the host was meant to be found, but the door to the RV was also closed.
After a few minutes a woman turned up - we assumed her being the host. She said that I might look „over there by this brown tent“ for a site if I would not like site T2. I moved towards the appointed spot while my friend stayed with her. At the brown tent I was welcome by a young couple from Canada. They invited me to stay next to their site because all the other spots were being sprinkled, in some places the water was already running onto the driving paths. I was glad about the offer and cycled back to the host who then walked to the site of my choice and approved of it. The registration was then made by my friend.
After we had put up our small tent two more sprinklers very close to our spot started. One of them sprayed water so far that we had to move our table. Now almost all the sites on the entire campground were set under water. If you step out of your tent in the night you may well get a cold shower from these sprinklers on your way to the restrooms. We hoped that the watering would be finished after an hour or so – but it went on the whole night.
Around 8 pm new visitors arrived and were facing their reserved site being flooded. Our canadian neighbour happened to be at the entrance and told the newcomers that there still would be one dry spot next to us. She was just as helpful to these people as she was to us an hour ago. However, according to what the young canadian woman was telling when back to the tent, the host was upset about her interference and told her that she should leave the campground. Still, we did not take this threat too serious.
But after some 30 minutes or so, meanwhile it was slowly getting dark, all of a sudden three policemen turned up, approached our tent sites and told the canadian couple that they should immediately leave the campground. One officer handed the young lady the receipt and returned the campground fee to her. There was absolutely no way of mediating between the host and the canadian campsite visitors. The police was not willing (nor able?) to retreat from executing this absurd request of the host who did not appear again on the scene. The canadian couple was made to leave the campground at the beginning of the night for no acceptable reason; instead they were helping us and the other visitors who had not been served properly by the host. She had refused even to clear a maybe-misunderstanding and had called the police for a reason the police anywhere else in the world wouldn't even appear. This host must have told a horror story to the police.
The campground itself is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, it is not fenced and everybody can walk or ride or drive through the ground – including all kind of dogs. The campground does not offer the minimal protection to its users and the host does not care at all about this.
Such a behaviour disqualifies the whole campground. It's only because it's compulsory that I tick the 1 star button.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
This not normal practice for the KOA. My husband and I have recently taken over management of the campground and I would like to sincerley apoligize for the way you were treated. I can personally guarantee that you will not be treated like that again. Please do let this horrible experience stop you from returning and meeting us. We will do the best we can to make up for any inconvience you experienced.
We hope to see you this camping season.
Sincerely
Harry and Carla.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2011

After camping for 20 years this is the worst experience we have had with a host. After arriving to a closed office we tracked down the host and were given a site without power and water (but had a manhole cover and dumpster) despite having a reservation. She said they were watering the lawn and nothing else was available. We asked for an upgrade to a cabin and were told to "go find something dry in that corner". Later while using the facilities my wife suggested a dry site to some guests checking in and was told to "stop talking to the guests or you will be asked to leave". When my wife returned to the office a few minutes later we were told to pack up and get out. We asked why and she told us she didn't need a reason. The host then yelled at my wife. We were stunned. While finishing our dinner and packing up the police showed up and escorted us from the campsite. We were issued a refund but it didn't matter as the host charged a cancellation fee the next day. The host is rude, inattentive and by far the most unbalanced individual we have had to deal with in a long time. Do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Owasso, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 August 2011

After doing a a long road trip with days involved hitting up to a total of five KOAs, the woman here ended our trip prematurely.

I had a small dog with me, about 20 pounds. I called and reserved weeks in a advance, calling all the KOAs to confirm they accepted animals. I remember when I reserved the lady was really rude, but said that it was fine to keep bring my pet.

Three weeks later, when on our way to the KOA, I called to ask what time they closed, only to be met again by the same lady, who again was rude, wouldn't give me the closing time (her reply was, "I don't know when I'm going to close") repeatedly asked me if I was over 18 (I'm 28 but I have young voice). Next she asked me if I had a pet, and I told her yes. Then she began to say, they don't allow pets anymore, even AFTER I had spoke with her, and confirmed that it would be okay. After explaining that my pet would not cause trouble, would be 100% adult supervised, and that we were only stay to sleep, and leaving at 7am the next day, that still wasn't good enough. She then threatened us with a cancellation fee if you can believe that. To put the cherry on top, during this conversation she didn't want to deal with me anymore, so she just hung up with me on the phone. *click* The only pro about this, is I did get a complete refund, that's the only reason it gets one star, it should be zero stars otherwise.

This incident forced us to get a hotel room, and cancel all our other KOA Cabins on the way home.

Do not go to this KOA, well, unless you want stress and hardship.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
I would like to apoligize for the rudeness you experience with the "prior" manager, and invite you back. My husband Harry and I are the current managers and would like to provide you with a fresh experience with the KOA.
The behavior you spoke of is not exceptable, please do not let this affect you staying at KOA's.
We would appreciate the oppurtunity to right this wrong.....
Feel free to refer to this review upon your next possible check.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The store and the laundry were closed at 8pm. Noisy trains through the night. The campground is in an industrial part of town - to be expected. Bathrooms and showers are accessed from inside the main building and they were available all night. Bathrooms were very clean. In the morning after we had taken our tent down and packed up, I needed to have a shower and my daughter and I needed to use the bathroom. The main building was locked - therefore no shower and NO BATHROOM. It was 10am. We phoned the manager and I said we needed to use the bathrooms. Her response was -It's closed. I said we needed to use the bathroom, what do we do. Her response was - go on the road. I asked again about some way to use the bathroom and her response was that she was busy, it was closed, go on the road. Very clean bathrooms are useless if they are locked! There are many other KOA campgrounds around that are great to stay at.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family