“Very Americanized, but good”
Review of Simple Sushi - CLOSED

Simple Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Washougal, Washington
“Very Americanized, but good”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We visited a friend in the area and wanted sushi. His wife is Japanese, so I knew they would take us to a good place.

Simple Sushi is very small, having only 1 table that seats 4 people. We arrived later, around, and it was not crowded.

If you looked at their menu out of context, not knowing the name of the restaurant, you probably would not know it's a sushi restaurant. Their nigiri selection is very scant. Of course, they have a very large selection of maki rolls. Many are quite Americanized; in fact few selections have any connection to "authentic" sushi.

Having said that, the food is excellent. We had several rolls that were superb. I had a salad sampler; you pick three items from a list of 5-6. I chose kimchee, seawead salad and sunomono. All three were excellent.

I did get tuna and salmon nigiri, and they were excellent. Unfortunately, they only have scallops, cooked shrimp (ebi), and tobiko (flying fish eggs) in addition to salmon and tunu, making for a very sparse selection.

The staff and sushi chef are all American (All American?), so you get a blank look even when saying "arigato!"

For what it is, it is excellent. But, be aware beforehand that they have very little in the way of traditional Japanese sushi.

Visited July 2013

Nampa, Idaho
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always fresh seafood”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I found the owners and waitress especially welcoming. As an older, single female it is a great place to feel comfortable. I sit at the bar unless I have a friend with me, then usually sit at a table for a more private conversation. The Phoenix roll is my go-to roll, but have enjoyed several and am looking forward to the next opportunity to return.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lolas626
“Total transformation”
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

This USED to be my once a week sushi spot and now to walk in and try not only to get a table or even an order to go is impossible. We dont do take out orders on Friday and Saturday
Run off over half your customers who cant sit in your little restaurant. I will find a new restaurant.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Snobby atmosphere.”
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife went to Simple Sushi 3 times in 9 months. All 3 times no one greeted us. Very uncomfortable, snobby environment. IOU Sushi is where we ended up each time. Customer service guys...customer service.

“Over all amazing”
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

Paul is amazing with sushi the atmosphere is always great they play good music and the staff is very friendly very knowledgeable on the food they're serving and it's a great little restaurant it they have become our Cheers