“The food very good but .....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hare and Hounds

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Littlehampton
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“The food very good but .....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

We have eaten here a few times and always happy with all. On our last occasion, the atmosphere and food was very good as before but am sorry to say the landlady (I am sure it was she) rather spoiled the occasion for us. Maybe she was having an 'off' day as everything seemed to be a bother for her with no pleasantry whatsoever. This has rather put us off returning in the future and we shall seek out another eating place in the Cowfold area, where hopefully we get more of a welcome and the prices not quite so high.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank AngelaLittlehampton

Henfield
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Country charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our favourite eatery is currently the Hare & Hiunds in Cowfold. It's quite a small pub but has excellent food with a menu which is changed regularly as well as daily specials.

The pub has a roaring log fire in the cold weather and lovely hanging baskets in the summer. There are always fresh flowers on the tables and around the bar.

At our recent visit we chose different starters - whitebait which was nice and crispy and came with a small salad; smoked chicken salad and a delicious stuffed field mushroom. I passed on the starter, knowing that I would need to leave room for a pudding.

My main course of mushroom stroganoff with rice was delicious. My fellow diners enjoyed their dishes: liver and bacon served with mash and veg; a prawn curry with rice and poppadom; and seafood linguine which I'm told was very tasty. I especially like the fact that you can have many of the dishes in a smaller portion.

My pudding was excellent - pear poached in red wine and served with blue cheese; yummy! My husband had Bakewell served with ice cream (he could have had cream or custard) and another of our party had raspberry cheesecake which looked lovely.

Food and drinks were delivered to our table with a smile and Wendy our host who was also chef that evening, came out from the kitchen for a chat.

Set on the A281 in Cowfold, try the Hare & Hounds for an evening meal or a lovely Sunday lunch. You'll be really glad you did.

Visited October 2013

Been to Hare and Hounds? Share your experiences!