“OVER priced and NOT good food”

Portneuf Valley Brewing
Ranked #6 of 159 Restaurants in Pocatello
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Pizza, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Went here with my son. We both are foodies and though this would be a good placed based on reviews.
WRONG
I have personally never been in a craft brewing establishment that did not serve burgers. Now I have.
The pizza was just bad and the beef dip I had was even worse. The service was very slow and sporadic.
Beer was good though.
One time and that is it

pvbbrewer, Owner at Portneuf Valley Brewing, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for your comments, we do appreciate and consider all feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our hand-crafted beers. At the same time, we are sorry that you did not enjoy the food or food selection. We have chosen to offer a variety of healthier menu options that we handcraft to be as unique as our beers. In fact, we don't even have a deep fryer in our kitchen. But we do strive to consistently serve great food with great service to match. The issues you raise will be addressed with all the staff to ensure that we are constantly striving for brewpub perfection. We are always open to suggestions, so feel free to contact us directly via the website if you'd like to provide us with further constructive feedback.

Thanks, Penny

There are newer reviews for Portneuf Valley Brewing

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I am a microbrewery fanatic. When I travel, I search for microbreweries in advance to include them in my itinerary. At the end of a recent trip to Yellowstone and Big Sky, MT, I was driving south through Idaho and hunted for Portneuf Valley Brewery. As an out-of-towner with no GPS, I got lost. I asked a local if she could direct me and she said "Easy-peasey, I go there all the time!" This was a good sign!

The hunt proved well worth it. My partner and I shared two pints (alas, the remainder of the day's drive to SLC would not allow for more). The Twisted Stick Amber was rich and delicious with beautiful color - very smooth. Even better was the Grog IPA. This beer was crisp and hop-licious, one of the best IPA's I've ever had (and that has been many!). As we had just stopped for lunch an hour before, we didn't eat but the menu looked great. The service was top notch, our bartender indulging all my questions about the operation, distribution, and the story about brew mistress/owner Penny.

A special nod to bar manager, Luke. Upon arriving in SLC that night, I discovered that I had left my camera at the brewpub. Knowing I could not make it back that night and still make my flight, I was beside myself. I called the brewpub and spoke with Luke. He had found my camera and offered to mail it back to me in Florida. He even called me the next day to confirm that he had done so. He refused to let me reimburse him for the postage, let alone for his kindness. I owe him a debt of gratitude for saving my trip pictures and restoring some of my lost faith in the kindness of my fellow man!

Kudos to Penny for making her dream come true. The beer is great, the merchandise art work is creative and fun, and the character of her staff is second to none. I will be back to PVB next time I'm out West! Cheers!!

1  Thank Holly C

Thank you so much for your gracious review. I am truly blessed to have a fantastic, dedicated staff. PVB would not be all that it is without them.

Cheers, Penny

Reviewed 9 July 2013

A fun place to catch some entertainment or have dinner with a varied menu to include sandwiches, pastas, pizzas and salads. The philly cheesesteak and asian bowl were the best things on the menu. The beers were fun to try and the service was good. Overall good value. Unfortunately the place did not seem clean. There was a smell of dishwater rags throughout the place (both upstairs and downstairs) which was offensive.

pvbbrewer, Owner at Portneuf Valley Brewing, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the entertainment, food and beer. We will all pitch in and do some belated spring cleaning. Keeping an old warehouse next to the railroad tracks clean is an on-going challenge. We will step it up and get on it. Cheers, Penny

Reviewed 5 June 2013

If there is one thing I love its Good Food, Good Beer, and a Great Brewpub that brings it together. Unfortunately that just doesnt happen for me at Portneuf Valley Brewery. They have one or two good beers on tap. Everything else is terrible. Personally I believe its the overpowering yeast they use in their beer. It all tastes the same weather you order an amber or a pale ale. (I know! how is that possible right!?) The food there is really hit and miss. Get the chicken nachos or the pizza. Some of the other stuff is downright terrible.

I am an accomplished brewer and what I taste when I taste the beer there is that the brewer is out of the loop. I think some good competition would re-vamp that place right up. I love fermentations and all beer in general, but ive never had a beer in my life that made me gag until I came here. If you do go for a beer get the Beligerant As* Nut Brown - Its absolutely amazing! well done! I also loved the Midnight Satin, but the rest of it.... just not worth trying.

One thing the place does have going for it is the environment. Nice looking place! they frequently have live music, and the staff is some of the best in town as far as service goes. Everytime I come in they take such good care of my friends and I. Maybe one of these days they will re-vamp some of the beer recipes. That would send this place off to a whole new level of delicious!

pvbbrewer, Owner at Portneuf Valley Brewing, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your comments, we do appreciate and consider all feedback. I'm very happy to hear our staff was accommodating and that you enjoyed the atmosphere. As for the food, of course not everything will be to everyone's liking, but I'd be happy to take specific suggestions as to how you'd like to see us improve in that arena. Like with the food, not every beer will please everyone's taste buds, but it's good to see you found two that suited you. We are always open to suggestions, so feel free to contact us directly via the website should you like to provide us with further constructive feedback.

Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Went on a Wednesday. Definitely a large crowd which slowed the kitchen up. The beer was good. The food was mediocre and expensive. I would give the beer a 5 but the food 2. I wouldn't go back.

pvbbrewer, Owner at Portneuf Valley Brewing, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you liked the beer but terribly sorry the food was not to your liking. Our menu is incredibly varied, so it's possible we have something better suited to your tastes. More specific feedback on what you had is always useful in helping us to improve for the future. Addressing the budget issue, all of our food is made fresh to order. Fresh, whole foods are more expensive and take longer to prepare than deep fried and pre-packaged food, and our prices reflect our costs. We do have a daily happy hour with half price appetizers if you're looking for a faster and less expensive experience.