“The Room Smelled Really Strange”

TownePlace Suites Pocatello
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Denver, Colorado
“The Room Smelled Really Strange”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Spent one night here on a road trip. The employees at the hotel were very nice and friendly. However, the room smelled like a cross between crayons and thrift stores. When I mentioned this at check-out, the clerk thought it might have been Murphy's Oil Soap. Otherwise, nothing was wrong considering this is a budget property. I would not have wanted to stay for more than one night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our only regret about this hotel was that we were only there one night as we were just passing through on a roadtrip. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which was plenty large for our family of 5. We would have preferred one room had 2 queen beds instead of both rooms having kings, but we knew that was the layout going in. The staff were friendly, helpful and truly seemed to want to make our stay enjoyable. The only small issue we had was the noise level from people coming and going into the room beside ours. The noise wasn't at all apparent in the bedrooms though so it really wasn't a huge issue.

The hotel was quite close to the highway which was convenient but far enough that there was no highway noise and had several entrances so we were able to park quite close to the room (a huge advantage with several kids and luggage).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We booked a suite, two rooms, one bath for our stay. This worked great for our group. Very Clean, Very Modern. Great Staff. Pool, Spa, and Excercise Room. Not far from Old Downtown, and close to a couple of restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Arizona
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our GPS had us driving past the hotel road entrance, which is also a gas station entrance, but once we'd turned around we found the right place and the adjacent RubyTuesday's. The hotel was quiet and clean so no complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeffery G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Pocatello, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for the feed back Elizabeth! We do our best to have signage at the entrance and we have updated our street through the GPS services, nice to hear that you were comfortable once you found us. Hope to see you again!
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stay here for business several times a year. I'm sucked into the Marriot rewards program so there really aren't many other choices. If you are a Hilton inmate there's a nearby Hampton Inn at the top of the hill, but I have had highway noise problems there. This hotel is fine if you get a room on the front side away from the street out back. The suites are large and you could spend extended periods of time here with the cooking facility. The place is not ideal for business travellers in my experience. Last time I checked in, with a colleague, both of us in business suits (like something you never see in Pocatello except on missionaries) and they stick us on the second floor, me across the hall from a family of kids racing up and down the hall back and forth to the pool. To the managment's credit they stopped it (after I put up with it for hours before complaining). Or maybe they just went to sleep. But how difficult is it to put the biz people on the 3d floor? Place was empty. So the maid has to use the elevator. So what. HELLOOOO... you're losing business. There is an incredibly good Italian restaurant about a 100 yards away in the gas station. Yes. IN the gas station. I didn't believe it until my colleague made me go. There's also a Ruby Tuesday chain place across the parking lot. It's easy to get downtown from here.

Room Tip: Front side on third floor to the south side away from the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night on the way to Montana from California. I was headed to Yellowstone and this was the best place to stop with time and the area had some good things to do while in the area. Check in was late about 10 p.m. I called the hotel to let them know and they were okay with this.

Unfortunately maybe because I checked in so late, there were so many issues: (a) it was a cold night and the room was cold and could not get the heater to warm up. Front desk were not properly equipped to handle this issue which meant I had an uncomfortable cold night. (b) I took a shower and trying to make sure I only used just the needed towels, I went to hang the towel I had used behind the door on the hook, only to find hair....eew (so much for being green). (c) more dirty stuff....found hair in the sink and hair pins on the floor. Kept wondering how much cleaning the housekeeping did.

Breakfast was the usual, definitely could've been better, to me it felt lacking! Could I stay here again, probably not. If I really had to, I'd definitely check in early so I have time to check out the room with adequate time to make changes if needed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the TownePlace Suites for one night on our way through Idaho. It was so comfortable and being 6 months pregnant was the best sleep I received all week. The beds and sheets were very comfortable. The staff accomodating. The pool was small, but we went on a weekday and mostly did not have anyone in it. The breakfast had lots of choices but no hot dishes (besides breads and pastries you could toast).

• Stayed July 2013