“Not worth the convenience”

Best Western Pocatello Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not worth the convenience”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I am a professional flight crew member. I and my fellow flight crews stay at hotels nearly half the nights in any given month in nearly as many different cities and states. I am certainly aware what a hotel chain's general policy in regard to checkout extension, checkout time, and several other details are.

We had just had a less than desirable encounter with a different hotel in Pocatello, next door in fact. It was a very busy weekend with most of the hotels in town being completely booked. The check in staff was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. However given the following events they are either unaware of their own policies or we were blatantly lied to.

As we checked in we directly asked about checkout policy and times. We were told that the normal time was 12:00 pm. We asked about the policy regarding extending this time for us out to 2 pm. We were told this would not be a problem, they would be able to accommodate our needs, and all we needed to do was remind the morning shift. I thought the need to remind them was a bit odd but we thought everything would work out fine.

In the morning when we called down, both of us individually and at different times, the story changed drastically. We were told at 11am that checkout was at 11am. We were told that there was a finite amount of late checkouts granted and they were unable to accommodate us. We were told that the housekeeping staff was overwhelmed and they were making this decision. After explaining that we, as professional flight crews, have legal requirements that must be met and that this was not the information we had both received the previous afternoon on check-in, we were told to wait a few minutes and they'd get back to us. This took nearly 20 minutes. During the wait I spoke with a member of the housekeeping staff who told me they had 16 rooms to clean. I am unclear if this was for the individual or if it was total. The parking lot was not exactly full so I just don't know if I buy the level of busy that was implied.

When the Front Desk called us back 11:20 am we were told that the only way we could stay was if we paid for another half day. Not only was this completely the opposite of what we had been led to believe, this is not a common practice at any of the hotel chains I usually stay at. I have never heard that there is limit to the number of late checkouts granted. When challenged on this policy the woman on the other end of the phone line became decidedly belligerent and argumentative stating, and I quote, "I stay in hotels too and this is normal at all of them." Nice try. We know better given how much we stay in hotels as part of our jobs. At this point there was no point in continuing the conversation with anyone so we told her we would be out in a few minutes, hung up the phone, checked out, and left.

On an individual note. A decade of staying in hotels anywhere from 5 to 28 nights in a month has educated me on general hotel policies. I know when I am being lied to or when I find a place that isn't following their own mission statement. Best Western is commonly one of the worst in this regard, which is why I avoid them when I can. Next time I will drive to a different town if a different hotel is not available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
I do apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. The night that you stayed we were totally sold out and try to help everyone with their requests the best that we can. The housekeeper that you spoke to was stating that she had 16 rooms and each housekeeper did have about the same amount to clean. Because the housekeepers are trying to get the rooms ready for our arriving guests we can only allow a certain amount of late check outs. Again I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First, they told a professional flight crew we could have late checkout if we just called in the morning. So we called, and they said no. CSR was rude, didn't really care about our situation. We really needed it, and nobody ever informed us it was "first come, first serve." Told us there were 16 rooms they had to turn over. That's not a lot.

Rooms are very basic, old decor & very small sink area (literally the width of your shoulders). No fitness center, to boot.

I would try somewhere else if I were you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
I do apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. The night that you stayed we were totally sold out and try to help everyone with their requests the best that we can. Because the housekeepers are trying to get the rooms ready for our arriving guests we can only allow a certain amount of late check outs. Again I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Once we finally got through traffic lights and got in the right lane it was an interesting stay. Front desk staff wasn't very friendly and I had to fill out a bunch of info. She kept answering the phone and was not attentive to helping me. After getting the room key we had to lug our suitcases up to the Second Floor which has an odor. You can hear everyone's conversations including language. We finally went to the pool and our key wouldn't work but another guest let us in.
Later on we went looking for vending machines and had to trek allover the hotel to find one that had nothing in it. I ended up in the bar and finally met a very nice bar tender who made me up a Virgin Mary that was awesome. We went to bed horrible matrices while listening to cursing coming from who knows where. Oh and the odor continued. Check out was gladly pleasant the next morning but I wasn't rested at all.

Room Tip: No elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
I would like to apologize that you did not have a restful stay with us. It is one of goals that our guests do have a restful enjoyable stay. Thank you for letting me know about your experience with the front desk when you checked in. The front desk manager will be using this as a training issue. If you should be staying with us again you can request a room that is on a main floor without stairs. And again I hope that you do accept my apology for all that happened during your stay.
Boise, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This location is very consistent with the Best Western brand and was very clean and friendly. Warm cookies at check in helpful staff and nice rooms. They also had a very nice pool area and breakfast. Will be back.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Best western Pocatello Inn. Thank you so much for writing a review about your stay. I will be sharing with the staff your kind comments. It is always nice to hear when a guest has a good experience while visiting us. We are glad that you will be back to visit us. We are looking forward to your return.
Nampa, ID
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Staff friendly but not knowable about BW policies, no elevator-bad for seniors, breakfast was horrible, mattress were old and lumpy, low toilets allowing male private parts to touch the water, access in and out of motel is not easy. This would not be a motel of choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your stay and letting us know about some areas where we can improve. We are in the process of updating the property so this information does help. We will also do some retraining with the front desk staff about policies so that this will not happen in the future. We do hope that you will give us another try after we are finish with the renovations.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This Best Western was all we needed for our layover. The rooms are great, the decoure is something to look at, breakfast was good and the rooms were really nice. I would recommend this as the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank 106evanah
pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write a review about your stay at the Best Western Pocatello Inn. It is always nice to hear when a guest enjoys their stay. We are in the process of doing some remodeling and I hope that you will come and see us again when everything has been completed. We look forward to your return.
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for five nights while she attended classes at ISU. The room was comfortable, as was the bed. We enjoyed the hot tub, and the breakfast as well. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially those at the front desk. I requested a quiet room so my wife could study in the evenings and they were nice enough to put us in the back of the motel with little noise from other guests. I booked in advance on the internet and found a reasonable rate for the stay. We will certainly stay here next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have microwaves, if you would like one it is best to request that in advance.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
pocatellosales, Director of Sales at Best Western Pocatello Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I would like to thank you for writing such a kind review about your stay at the Best Western Pocatello Inn. I will be passing on your comments to the staff because it is always gratifying to hear when our guests do notice their hard work. I am glad to hear that the room was good for your wife while she was studying during your stay. We do hope that you will visit us again in the future.