“Pet Friendly & nice and clean”

Red Lion Hotel Pocatello
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This Red Lion is one of my favorites. The lobby is welcoming and comfortable and the rooms are beautiful. They smell fresh and clean even though it is a pet friendly hotel and there may have been a pet in the room before me. The beds were very comfortable and the linens were inviting. I run my own Bed and Breakfast and I'm very particular about bed linens and pillows. The Red Lion's are just right. I liked the fact that there was a fridge and microwave (hidden in a cabinet) There was a tv which I never turned on and internet which I connected to differently than the directions indicated. The roaring start breakfast was nice with hot eggs, bacons and sausage and other breakfast items. The room was much too dark though and I had a hard time reading even with every light on. The next morning I found ironing torturous in the dim light on an ironing board where the under pad was balled up and slipped under the ironing surface. I dragged the board over to the window but the sun wasn't up yet and it did me no good.
There was a computer in the lobby, just one, and you had to pay to use it. That was extremely annoying. I went there in the wee hours of the morning because I needed to retype my speech and print it in a larger font. I didn’t take my credit card and when I got there I couldn’t log in without it. I have never seen a hotel computer that you had to pay for before and was not happy. Time was running out so I went back to my room and hand wrote the parts I needed to change on the existing paper.
The room beside me had two dogs; one very large and one medium size. They barked all night and the owner yelled at them all night. She took them out at 3:00 am and in the process one of them scratched at my door. I had helped her get the dogs into her room the night before so was aware of her lack of control. She couldn't handle both of them at the same time. I don't blame the hotel for the racket but a reminder to the guests that they need to keep their pets under control and quiet might be helpful. I also should have called the front desk but if you understand how sleepiness can make you inert, you'll know how I was feeling. It's the same phenomenon that stops you from getting up for a blanket when you are cold.
Front staff is very friendly and accommodating. They got me whatever I needed right away. When I first went into my room I couldn’t get the bedside light to go on and requested a new light bulb. It was fixed right away and had just come unplugged.
The shelf on the window wall is very dusty. While trying to hold my freshly ironed dress closer to the light to see what the result was it brushed the ledge and came back covered in dirt. That was not a good experience.
We had a conference at the Red Lion and the food was excellent and the staff efficient except for the fact that they kept disappearing. When we needed them we had to walk down to the office to make our request, which was often. They would forget things like one of the plates of cookies or the water and there was no one to attend to our needs. Running a conference is time consuming and chasing hotel staff was frustrating.
I’d stay there again and even do a conference there again. I consider that I’ve learned a lot and will adjust my behavior based on what I know. I’d make sure ahead of time that they’d have a staff member available for the conference, discuss dog barking with the front desk ahead of time and call if there is a problem and make sure my ironing board was intact. As far as lighting is concerned, I’d ask what they could do about it and hopefully there is an acceptable solution.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jill D

Reviewed 29 September 2011

I usually do not stay at non name brand hotels, but while traveling home from Oregon this was almost exactly 1/3 stopping point and there wasn't very many pet friendly places. This surpassed anything I had imagined and we enjoyed it. Beds and linens were nice, lots of pillows, nice pool, decent parking. I did not pay the extra for their breakfast but was glad to see a Jack in the Box basically in the parking lot (I think it was a Jack in the Box). If I'm out that way again I will stop and stay, and if you join their Red Lion club they also waver the pet fee. :)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pipelinerswife
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Not a whole lot to say other than I generally enjoy the quality I get from Red Lions, and the Pocatello location was no different. The room was comfortable, a great bed, and the room was impeccably clean. I was only there one night, so I can't say a whole lot about the place, but the breakfast was pretty good too. Some interesting people at a cult-like weight loss group in one of the conference rooms in the morning, but that's not their fault.

The hotel layout is a little interesting; it feels as if there's almost separate buildings and it can be a bit tricky to find your room at first (you'll need a map), but once you've been in and out a couple of times and see the layout, it makes a bit more sense.

The staff were friendly and helpful. An upbeat mood, which you seem to see less and less of these days (even at the super-expensive joints). Didn't have a problem the entire time.

If I came back to Pocatello for a reason other than a simple in-and-out overnight, I'd consider staying there (although I don't know why I'd be back). If you're just looking for a COMFORTABLE and clean place to put your head for a night or three, the Red Lion is certainly adequate.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ESVASpiderTerp
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We've stayed here several times now. This last time was a bit more than disappointing. The cleanliness of the room was substandard as I found sesame seeds that weren't ours on the floor and the nonsmoking room did have a smoke smell. I didn't dare drink from the glasses in the bathroom as there was really no way to know if they had been washed properly. The pool was too cold (for the second visit in a row) which is a shame since it's such an awesome pool. Also be aware that if you stay on a Sunday they close the pool for maintenance. The breakfast was just okay, they had a hard time keeping the warm foods warm. We get a great rate so will probably stay again but all things equal, we'd choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aquaticqueen51
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The Red Lion was a very nice hotel. It smelled nice, clean, and quiet. The pool is clean and large enough you don't swim into a lot of people. The hot breakfast is worth the stay with bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes, cereal, baked goods, yogurt, fruit, etc...It is easy to get to and very close to Idaho State University so you can visit with your college kids or watch an event at the Mini Dome. Restaurants everywhere and grocery stores are nearby.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank WildBill53
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I have stayed at this property many timesand although different issues may have arisen, each and everytime I have found the Hotel manager (Amy) to be willing and quick to address and resolve them. There are attitude problems with some of the front desk and front office staff however one would be hard pressed to find front desk staff anywhere that is as knowledgeable, friendly and helpful as this property has in Heidi. Rooms may be a little dated but are always clean and cleaning staff is willing to accomodate most requests. Pool seems to always be a little on the cool side. Breakfast is good and filling. Bar area is cozy but, seems to be under used - could use some life. Would recommend upgrading television and installing pay perview channels or investing in DVD players and a Redbox kiosk.

Room Tip: Get a room which opens out to the pool area.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Father2two
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The toilet handle broke around 9 pm and we discoved the heater was not functioning due to a defective thermostat. We called for maontenance. The maintenance man came quickly and repaired the toilet and looked at the heater. He confirmed my suspicions and wired the thermostat to manual. He told us it should keep the room warm but said if it didn't work call the desk to see if they had another room available. At 2 pm the room was cold but we decided to stay because we didn't want to relocate in the middle of the night. Anyway, I called the front desk in the morning to complain about the room conditions. The front desk cleak asked me what I wanted done and I told her to comp the room. She did as I asked, but when I went down to check out she said I was good to go (very rude) and walked away. Also, the TV in the room is an old TV which didn't function very good. My observation is that this motel is old and in need of remodeling and for some retraining in how to treat guests. We go to this motel twice a year for scrap booking conference where the conference is held. I told the woman in charge of this conference to look for another motel in the future if things do improve. Joe Anderson

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business