“Please update your facilities. Nothing has changed in thirty years.”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Reviewed 28 April 2012

If I didn't have to stay here with my son's team, I would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Ktrusty
ClarionInnPocatello, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Clarion Inn. We sincerely apologize if you were unsatisfied with our property. You mentioned you felt our property had not been updated in 30 years; I would like to point out a few of our most recent upgrades. In the last few years alone we have installed new mirrors and granite counter tops in our guest room bathrooms. The bedding in every guest room has be updated and replaced. We recently installed flat screen televisions in our suites and will soon have them in every room. Last summer, we completely remodeled the outside our of property with beautiful brick and stucco. We have also renovated our public area restrooms.

One thing our property prides itself on is our goal to always update and improve. Please consider staying with us again and I am sure you will notice our improvements.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The location of the hotel is convenient and easy to get to. It's next to several other nice hotels that we've stayed at before, so we thought it would compare, but it doesn't.
Our first problem was that the door to our room was impossible to get open. My husband had to throw himself against it every time, just to get it opened. I never was able to get the door to open by myself.
The inside of our room was clean. There were no issues there.
However, our room was extremely loud. There were people outside on the lawn, at a table, well into the night. We got back to our room, from the show, at 12:15 am. We heard those people outside, passed 1:00 am. There were several bikers riding through the parking lot through out the night, as well. I'm not sure if it was the vibration from their bikes, or if the people outside were attempting to break into the vehicles outside, but soon after a group of loud bikes drove through the parking lot, there were car alarms going off. Luckily, it wasn't ours. I was concerned about our vehicle being broken into, after that.
The next morning we woke up to several dogs barking. This hotel does allow pets, which is convenient to those traveling with their pets. It was a little annoying to hear, after being kept up most of the night from the people outside, and the motorcycles.
We also had the pleasure of waking up to the smell of cigarette smoke. I don't know if it came from a room below or next to us, but it was strong enough that my 4 year old son was coughing.
The pool does not open until 9:00 am. It seems like that is a little later than most pools open. However, it is a really nice pool! The only problem we had there is that at 9:15 am, we were still waiting for someone to come unlock the gates around the pool. My mother in law asked a lady working there why it hadn't opened yet and she said it didn't open until 10:00 am. The front desk had told us that it opened at 9:00. The lady said she would go find someone and see what the problem was. About 5 minutes later a gentleman came out with a key, in no hurry. He took his time unlocking the pool. It wasn't a huge deal, but it was a little irritating, being he was already 20 minutes late!
I rated this hotel a 2 because of all the noise, the door needed some major work, the smell of the smoke, the noise of the pets, and the fact that the staff was late, and in no hurry to open such a nice amenity that the hotel had to offer, on time.
I will note that when we checked in, the girl at the front desk was very polite and friendly. And again, the pool is very nice. My son really enjoyed swimming in it...once it opened.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just fine. There is a bar and a pool. It's a little loud with the road. But feels clean and spacious.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This was the old holiday inn and they haven't changed it at all from what i remember. The service was what I have come to expect from Choice and I was not disappointed. The restaurant provided a great and delicious selection but I was sad that there was not a complimentary breakfast available. The pool is huge and indoors so can be enjoyed year round. It is great for kids as 2/3 of it is only about 4 ft or less. There is a decent hot tub and sauna available as well. I was really disappointed in the "fitness room". I don't really believe that 2 treadmills, a stair stepper, and a machine should count (plus i hate that the mirrors in the room make the picture look like its a LOT bigger than it really is).
I would stay here again because its Choice but if there was another option I'd look.

Room Tip: if you want noise and chlorine smell choose an inside room, else outside.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Devores
ClarionInnPocatello, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for your review of our property! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We definitely agree with you; we think our restaurant offers a great selection of delicious food as well. Next time you stay, ask about our Choice Privileges program. As a member, you would receive a coupon for $7 off of breakfast. We hope this would help with your disappointment at the lack of a complimentary breakfast. Our advice is to try the Best Value Breakfast option on our menu. With a price of $6.99, this option can be completely covered by the Choice Privilege breakfast coupon. This option also offers more than enough food to start your day off right.

As for our fitness center, we apologize if you felt the picture was deceiving. This was not our intention in the slightest. But if our workout equipment did not fit your needs, next time ask about our "Shape up for Summer" program. As an added benefit for our guests, we have teamed up with a local gym in Pocatello. While staying at our hotel, our guests have a free pass to use the facilities of Fitness Inc. We believe this free amenity will offer all of the finess equipment you desire while visiting Pocatello.

Thanks again for staying with us while in Pocatello. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

$43 on priceline......no brainer at this price.....great pool area with hot tub and workout room....has a restaurant and bar on site and also other choices all around it.....rooms are older, but it was clean....I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Since the town was packed with people for the State HS Wrestling Championship, we had to stay at the Clarion Inn (old Holiday Inn). It worked out just fine. We were lucky enough to have an outside corridor room with microwave and fridge. If you stay inside be ready for lots of noise from kids in the pool and spa or late nighters who don't know we can hear every word they are saying or yelling. Been there, done that! The staff were nice, except for the 6:30am wake up call from the front desk that was in error. The restaurant is actually good and if you are a rewards member they give you a $7 coupon towards breakfast. The beds are comfortable and rooms clean. So for under $70 it's a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our property. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the mix up with your wake up call. Please know this is not a common occurrence and we truly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We do hope you will consider us for your next stay while in Pocatello. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I just checked into my room for a 3 day business stay and I'm so impressed that I felt compelled to write an immediate review. I booked through Priceline and got a great rate, but after reading the reviews I was nervous about the property. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. There is a covered entrance with automatic doors. The lobby and restaurant look very nice. I did notice as I pulled in that there are some rooms with exterior doors. The receptionist (Kat) was happy and pleasant in her greeting. When she checked me in she mentioned my room was one of the ones with an exterior door. I asked if she had anything available in the main building (rooms have interior doors). She checked and switched me to a room in the main building without any argument. The room is very nice. Good bedding, granite counter tops, iron and board, solid wood furnishings, etc. Everything is very clean and organized. I've stayed in 4+ star hotels that are worse. The indoor clover-shaped pool area with waterfall looks great and I can't wait to soak in the hot tub after my meetings today. I feel bad for those who posted negative reviews, but my experience so far is great and I'm very happy with the property. I happily recommend staying here and will come back again. If you notice things you want or like, asking politely for those things can go a long way.

• Stayed: February 2012

We are so please you enjoyed your stay with us while in Pocatello. We pride ourselves on our customer service and we are delighted you were able to experience it. We hope you were indeed able to take advantage our hot tub and sauna after your meetings; they sure do help take the stress off after a long day. Thank you for your thoughtful review and we look forward to your next visit!