“Western Pleasure Guest Ranch Is An Amazing Adventure”

Western Pleasure Guest Ranch
Ranked #2 of 7 Sandpoint B&B and Inns
South Padre Island, Texas
“Western Pleasure Guest Ranch Is An Amazing Adventure”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My wife and I live in South Texas where things are very brown and hot during the summer. Going to Western Pleasure Guest Ranch in August was like visiting paradise for a week. We loved riding the trails through green canopies of tall pine trees with temperatures in the 70s and low 80s.

Almost all the Western Pleasure horses are related. The owners, Roley and Janice Schoonover, have taken special care in the selecting and breeding of their herd. What we didn't know about riding, we learned from expert wranglers in the arena. Safety was always foremost in all the rides. We all wore helmets.

Our accommodations looked like something you might see on a postcard. So idyllic. Although we stayed in the lodge in a room called "The Dude," named after John Wayne, we saw the cabin where our friends stayed with their three kids. The Schoonovers pay attention to detail as the rooms and cabins are decorated tastefully along with all the extras one would expect from an expensive hotel such as moisturizing lotion, etc.

My mouth still waters when I think of all the wonderful meals we enjoyed at Western Pleasure. Several times during our meals, Janice came to the table with a tray of fresh baked cookies. The Schoonovers are actively, involved owners. They make sure all their guests enjoy their stay. Also, I'll never forget the dutch oven meal around the camp fire. All the beef served at Western Pleasure comes from grass-fed cattle raised by Janice's brother on nearby ranch. For carnivores, it doesn't get any better!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SojournerSouthPadre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
St. Charles, IL
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Our family set out on a 16 day vacation out west. The Western Pleasure Ranch was, by far, the highlight of our trip.

Our 7 and 9 year old boys were in heaven and did NOT want to leave. We stayed in a cabin and participated in the American Plan. I was a little nervous about the 7 year old on a horse because he is little and can frighten at times. He did awesome. The gave the kids all the instruction they needed and matched them up with gentle horses. The wranglers were all amazing.

Janice was outstanding. She certainly went above and beyond allowing our kids to play games and do activities along with the kids in the horse camp. This meant Mommy and Daddy had some alone time!

The food at the lodge was great. Our cabin was stocked with popcorn, coffee, games, puzzles, anything you could need.

I only ranked cleanliness a little lower because we had a lot of bugs in our cabin. Large ants, earwigs and large spiders. Of course this is a CABIN in the WOODS, so that is somewhat expected. The lodge building was immaculate and the kids certainly enjoyed the pool table, the outdoor basketball court and playground area. We were even able to do our laundry before we left and borrowed glue from Janice to fix our son's glasses.

This place certainly treats you like a "guest" as opposed to a "customer" We can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank ncocacola
Severn, MD
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Western Pleasure Ranch may be a bit out of the way, but worth every mile to get there. You can see pictures on their website and that is exactly what it looks like. We have been fooled before, but not at Western Pleasure. The Roley and Janice Schoonover and their family and staff are top notch, their horses are fantastic, and the rides are so much fun. There is never a dull moment while you are there. If you don't ride, you can take a trip to Sandpoint to a lovely little town and just enjoy a couple of hours browsing around and having something to eat. If you like wine, be sure to visit the Wine Bar over the Coldwater Creek store. If you like to knit or crochet don't miss the Yarn Store in Gordon's Crossing it was fantastic! I hated leaving Western Pleasure and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan110350
Washington State
Reviewed 25 January 2010

My husband and I decided to do a weekend getaway. We booked at the Western Pleasure Ranch because it was out of town and have always wanted to take a sleigh ride. We checked in on a Saturday afternoon and when we got there the front desk lady said "The sleigh ride has to be cancelled, I was going to call you, but I forgot" Apparently there was some ice in January, making a sleigh ride too difficuly. I understand this, but REALLY wish I would have been called before we drove 3.5 hours to get there. I would have cancelled if I had known this. To top it off, I was sprayed by their cat and the heater broke in our room. No staff is up until 9am, so we froze in our room. Overall, this was a crappy experience. I wouldn't recommend this "ranch" and won't be returning.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ahreed
Seattle
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Unfortunately, we only had time for three nights, but it was absolutely the highlight of our ten day driving vacation. The wranglers were able to allow my almost seven-year old twins to ride their own horses, and they LOVED it. The lodge, cabins and surrouding acreage is immaculately maintained by Janice and Roley - I figured that they must have a staff of 10, but it's mostly the two of them plus their two children and some part time folks. And as our host, Janice made us feel more like visiting friends than paying guests. We're looking forward to going back next year for a whole week. Also, if you have children between ages 8 and high school age, consider the weekly kids camp - all of the kids that we met were having the time of their life.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ChappySeattle
Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 31 December 2008

This lovely working horse ranch resides in a beautiful setting and is a warm family lodging. Situated just north of Sandpoint, Idaho, the lodge and family cabins are surrounded by forest and meadows which rival views in Banff and Switzerland. The Schweitzer Mountain is visible from the top of the sledding hill on the sleigh ride and the Lodge is all I dreamed it would be with it's 10,000 square feet.
We stayed in a family cabin which slept 6 in comfortable. warm beds. Their were ample quilts and a well stocked fire to keep us warm the week after Christmas. If we strated to experience cabin fever, we would go to the lodge to enjoy the Hot Tub, the poll table, or to watch a movie. I appreciated the fact that there were no phones or TVs in the cabins and I think that we didn't miss them once. We did not eat at the lodge although dinners of Prime rib, salmon, and barbequed ribs and chicken were available nightly. The food looked delicious when we happened into the dining room. The girls and their beaus took a sleigh ride and loved it! It seems that the nightly sleigh ride followed by the dinner is the bread and butter of the lodge and there were good crowds each night for that.

2 Thank Maureen D
Yorkville, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I took my 15 year old grandson for a weeks stay at Western Pleasure. We had a great time and he loved the place.
Neither of us had ridden before but the wranglers had us in the saddle and going in short order. Instruction was given by competent people. We had horses that were easy for us to handle but big enough to support big guys. The trail rides were great.
The lodge is a beautiful log structure with big comfortable rooms for sleeping with big bathrooms. The food was marvelous. A variety of meals and each delicious.
The staff is friendly and the owners and their kids are delightful people. I cannot come up with a single negative. My grandson said it was the best vacation of his life. The other guests we met were equally pleased with their experience. Some of them had been there before and came back for more. I'd come back too.

• Liked — The really great lodge. A log structure with big comfortable rooms.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank tallman96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandpoint
Best Western Edgewater Resort
Talus Rock Retreat
Talus Rock Retreat
#1 of 7 in Sandpoint
Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging

Been to Western Pleasure Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!