Talus Rock Retreat
La Quinta Inn Sandpoint(Sandpoint)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$200
US$185
Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging(Sandpoint)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$124
US$83
Best Western Edgewater Resort(Sandpoint)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$160
Quality Inn(Sandpoint)
US$82
US$85
US$83
Priceline
The Lodge at Sandpoint(Sagle)(Great Value!)
US$193
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgranolabeautiful propertypiece of heavenbed and breakfastcopper ceilingarbor suiteold friendsperfect placeblown awaya special placewonderful hostsclose to towna wonderful stayfell in lovejetted tubfresh airgreat room
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This summer, my mom & I decided to take a girls road trip. Fortunately for us, we found Talus Rock to stay in while in Sandpoint and absolutely loved it! Heather (the owner) is such a kind & generous host who really has service and the comfort of her guests in mind. We fell in love with the home, the landscaping, the serenity and the ambiance.
While Talus Rock is a definite must for couples, let me be a voice for it being the perfect place for a Mother/Daughter retreat, too!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gage b
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I had booked the Talus Retreat for 3 nights originally, but we only stayed for 1. There are no locks on the doors. You are paying top dollar for a place that is someone's home. We were just not comfortable and did not feel like we had privacy. The towels and sheets are random colors and not the quality you would expect for the price. The breakfast was yogurt, dipped out of a quart container (is this allowed?) and coffee. The home is very beautiful and Heather seemed very sweet, but I question the fact that checks are made to International Children's Network.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
hpedersen, Owner at Talus Rock Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Hello Jean:

We’re so sorry we did not meet your expectations of your stay and that you felt you had no privacy in your room or in the Retreat. Shortly after check-in, when you mentioned that you were “surprised” that this was our home, I immediately realized that you were disappointed and that, in booking, perhaps you did not realize that Talus Rock Retreat is a bed and breakfast (which, by norm, is lodging in someone’s home). B&Bs are not for everyone, but those who seek out a bed and breakfast understand that the dynamics are more casual than that of a hotel. As executive travelers ourselves who appreciate clean and professional lodging, but also thoroughly enjoy the casualness of youth hostels, we, as proprietors, continue to do our absolute best to morph the professionalism of a hotel with the casual luxury of a bed and breakfast. All rooms are private with adequate window coverings, door draft guards, and locked doors from the inside, and the common areas (such as the decks, main kitchen, and the Great Room) are places where guests converse, visit with each other, or simply read a book. Guests who seek privacy, retreat to their room. You are correct about the towels and sheets being different colors; while white seems to be a standard mark of a high end hotel, we chose a more unique and eclectic approach with varied colored linens and bedding which is a matter of taste and our particular style.

Please let me address our breakfast: While we are a retreat, I confess, I am not such a good cook and often refer to Talus Rock Retreat as a “Big B, little b” to help better set expectations about breakfasts here. We have such wonderful downtown restaurant options (as well as a “hot breakfast upgrade” that we bring in from a local restaurant) and rather than compete, we provide a simple, quality, nutritious and wholesome offering - albeit not the hot-and-frilly-seated-on-time-with-linens experience. While 3 of our 6 rooms have individual refrigerators that we stock with individual containers (new and sealed), our group breakfast is served continental style in the Great Room (similar to a buffet style offering): yogurt, granola, cereal, English muffins, breads, bagels, juice, coffee, and tea are all part of a semi self-serve breakfast. In addition to offering individual yogurts to all guests, we do provide the family-size containers of yogurt that you mentioned. These bulk containers are used to feed those guests who don’t have kitchens in their rooms and who desire individual-specific self-serving quantities. Even guests who have rooms with personal refrigerators and kitchens sometimes like to experience a ‘community’ breakfast in a group setting, and the large containers of yogurt are spooned out by guests using a designated serving spoon into their individual bowls. Individuals do not eat directly from these containers, as we wholeheartedly agree with you: this would be an unsanitary and unappealing practice.

And finally, please let me help you better understand our relationship with International Children’s Network (ICN), a 501-c3 mission (www.icnchildren.net) that we support and with whom I am personally involved. On occasion, stays at Talus Rock Retreat allow some individuals/couples/gatherings an opportunity to make their visit a tax-deductible contribution to ICN. As ICN’s Director of the Asia, my family and I travel to impoverished third world countries up to twice a year as need and funding permits. Contributions, such as your short stay, help offset our travel expenses and allow us to conduct mission work to orphaned and at-risk children in India and the Philippines. If you need the Federal Tax ID for ICN for your tax deduction, it is as follows: International Children's Network Tax ID 20-1738995

Again, we are truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay here at Talus Rock. In an effort to make things better and perhaps change your mind, we would sincerely welcome you and your husband back for a complimentary stay on us should you wish to give us another try.

Please call us.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is the most beautiful house I have ever been in. It is truly an amazing place to stay. The house and grounds are beautiful, the rooms nice and comfortable and the family is lovely.

The house is on 9 acres of forest and it is just a mile from town. The house is 18,000 sq feet and the most amazing architecture I have every seen.

Heather and her family are the most friendly and warm people I have ever stayed with. They make you feel part of the family.

I can't wait to come back and stay here longer. Two days is not enough. Sandpoint and the surrounding area is beautiful in the summer time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Selkirk room and it was very nice over looking the courtyard. The house is so beautiful and comfortable, you only want to be in your room to sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig-World-Travelle
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My family of five stayed, all too briefly, in the Syringa Suite for two nights. What a treat to have the opportunity to enjoy in a funky little "home of our own" in the midst of such an architectural gem. The suite had a full kitchen which makes it completely possible to cook every meal should one wish to. I don't know where to begin to describe how perfect a fit this place is on so many levels.

Hosts: Heather Pedersen is a dynamic, energetic, genuine and fun woman who seems to have an innate need to fit people with their every whim. We weren't able to meet her husband, Bruce who was off bettering the veterinary world a distance away. We were welcomed by the charming and helpful home assistant, Rebecca, whom my 13 year old daughter and I think is incredibly cool. Heather's daughter, Rio, was warm and helpful.

Space: The photos say it all. I loved the space so much that I was one of the many that requested a booklet of details of the house as a souvenir. It seems that every nook and cranny has an interesting story.
Some highlights: My children and husband had fun playing in the boats on the pond and we enjoyed watching the B &B dog, Panda herd the bossy guinea hen herding the other chickens.
Heather's brother in law came by one evening to treated us to fabulous fireside guitar playing and singing. He was joined by another guest who picked up a house guitar. Our family picked what seemed like two quarts of raspberries from the bushes above the pond. The kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub.We enjoyed sharing our wine on the deck, in the hammock, strolling the grounds...
Talus Rock Retreat is a blessed place. I recommend it to anyone treating themselves to a peaceful, yet playful haven.

Room Tip: Each room has it's own strengths and beauty.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Gorgeous and unique property with all the amenities...great location (only a few minutes from town), beautiful and private setting, amazing attention to detail thru out this custom Tuscan style lodge. We stayed for 2 blissful nights. And, hostess, Heather...the greatest! Thank you for everything! Dede & Rodney

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple