First off, Sandpoint is great. Wonderful food, beautiful lake...quiet and serene. For a five night stay, we chose to stay at Talus Rock because we like B&B's, peaceful settings and something unique and different. I had a few reservations about this place based on some of the previous reviews but the owner assured me we would love it there so we took a chance. A big chance if you consider your booking is non-refundable and non-cancellable which is a lesson we learned on this trip and is something I would carefully consider staying anywhere else ever again.
Talus Rock is a short drive out of town and the house is interesting and the land is quite beautiful. We really enjoyed picking raspberries and exploring the area. Our room, the Syringa suite, was larger than it looked on the photos and had everything we needed, when we arrived. I say that because throughout our stay, we were surprised that none of the kitchen items were stocked up and no one appeared to come into our room to do anything, such as empty the garbage which we would have expected for the hefty price per night. The shower was slimy and some aspects of the room were not that clean but overall, we wanted to enjoy our stay so we overlooked these small issues.
A few notes about staying here that were not what we are used to with B&B's, they ask you to remove footwear at the door but the floor was dirty all the time from the dogs running in and out. If you have allergies to animals, I wouldn't recommend staying here as the animals roam the house.
Out of five nights, the first two were fine. On the third, the resident dog barked for hours at something in the woods throughout the night. We tried to get the dog inside but weren't sure why the dog was left to make that much noise. We mentioned it in the morning to Heather and she was apologetic and we didn't want to make a big deal about it but it put a slight damper on our stay. The fourth night Sandpoint had a major storm and we were without water and power for the entire night and it still wasn't on the next morning. After this we decided we were ready to go. Not knowing if the power would come back on that day, we packed up and asked to check out a night early.
To our surprise, the response we got from the owner was that we would still have to pay for all 5 nights! Full payment for a night kept awake by a dog, full payment for a night without water and electricity and full payment for a night we weren't staying due to these issues. Bringing up these problems, we thought it was fair to only pay the four nights. She agreed, we paid and left.
We understand the power outage is not the fault of the property but as a business owner, you need to be prepared for these things. You can't expect your guests to pay so that you can save a few bucks. Really unprofessional and whatever the excuse for margins, the charity they run, high season...I'm sure they have their reasons, your guests need to feel that their hard earned money is going towards a stay they will be satisfied with. When they are not satisfied, you need to be prepared to deal with that. We certainly left with an uneasy and disappointed feeling and for that, we would not chose to stay here again. There are many good reviews for this place and I'm sure most people enjoy their stay so for the ones that don't have a stellar experience, how that's dealt with makes all the difference in making a place mediocre or great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the privacy and peacefulness of Talus Rock Retreat for your special getaway. A private, chic, and eclectically elegant timber frame and Tuscan-style retreat, this exceptional property caters to those who appreciate nature combined with old world charm. With 6 individual suites available, the cozy provisions can be enjoyed by a couple for a weekend getaway, a romantic honeymoon, a pristine mountain vacation, or a simple get-away to enjoy rejuvenation and inspiration. Or, take the tranquil villa in its entirety to accommodate an intimate extended family reunion of up to 24 people, a spectacular rehearsal dinner, an indoor catered holiday gathering, or a corporate or other non-traditional, informal group affair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Talus Rock Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Talus Rock Retreat Hotel Sandpoint
- Talus Rock Retreat Sandpoint, Idaho