“The worst in over 20 years traveling all over world” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of FairBridge Inn & Suites - Sandpoint

FairBridge Inn & Suites - Sandpoint
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sandpoint
Wenatchee, Washington
“The worst in over 20 years traveling all over world”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Absolutely the worst place I've stayed in over 20 years of traveling all over the world. My husband and I stayed one night, Aug. 2, 2013. If the entire town wasn't booked we would have stayed elsewhere on arrival it was so bad. We entered our room to standing toilet water and wet towels all over the toilet. The window laying on the ground. The screen had holes in it, the window was so dirty you couldn't see through it. One person on staff had to leave front desk to put more towels down, hoping that was the problem. When we arrived later that evening the bathroom was full of standing toilet water, nothing to be done. No maintenance person to help. For this they gave us a 20% discount for the trouble. We left as soon as we possible could first thing in the morning. Horrible. Horrible. The manager had no power to fix this situation and the owner isn't present and lets this roll. The facilities were dirty, old, gross. The hot tub was disgusting... I could go on. Did I say horrible!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Guesthouse in Sandpoint Id is clean and Cara the pretty young lady at the front desk is awesome. We presented our discount coupon to Cara and she checked us in really quick and later on she brought us extra pillows to our room. Great service and a clean room for under $75.00 including taxes.
It would be nice if there was a few more breakfast items (fruit) but even what was there for a continental was ok. The hallways could have been cleaner, but the roads are all under construction in front of the motel so Im sure this was the cause. That's why I only gave them a very good for cleanliness.
Oh the shower floor squeaks every time you move because the installer did not put any support underneath so if you don't want to wake anyone in the early morning shower before retiring. We would go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CinthiaR, Manager at FairBridge Inn & Suites - Sandpoint, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your review. We do appreciate it. There were some concerns of yours about the hallways needing a little bit of a clean up and the showers so we have let our maintenance know about those and he has jumped right on that. We hope that during your next day you will be please with those changes. Thank you and see you soon.
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We made an overnight trip to this area to visit the Silverwood Theme Park (water park and carnival rides). We stayed at the Guest House International Inns in Sandpoint,(really it was in Ponderay), Idaho.

My review is two-fold: The experience of staying here and the experience of booking through third party agents via the internet. The stay was pleasant, the booking process ticked me off enough that if I stay here again I will call them by phone and avoid internet booking.

So, is it better to end on a positive or negative note? How about we start with the bad news and end on a positive note? OK? OK.

I THOUGHT I was booking online directly with the motel or motel chain. This is not so. You book with a third party booking agent and they were a nightmare to deal with. One of the third party company names was Travlynx.com and the other was Innlink.com

First, they do not make it clear when booking that the "book now and save" option is NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-CHANGEABLE, yet once I booked, the confirmation email stated this. Since our plans were very likely to change, this was not a good option for us (booking two rooms for four people). I began the booking process on June 17th for a June 29th stay. At the very second I received the email confirmation, I began trying to contact them to say that A. The website was not clear on the reservation restrictions, and B. even if I needed to upgrade and pay extra I needed to change to a refundable and changeable option. I was willing to pay more for this option. Nobody responded.

I emailed and made phone calls a couple times a day between June 17th and June 27th and was finally getting a response/result AFTER we came back from our trip, up to July 2nd. I raised a fuss, I fired off emails, I called the motel who apologized kindly and said that they received about 5 frustrated complaints about this third party booking agency EVERY DAY. They said since the charge was immediate, and through a third party booking agent and not through them, they could not honor a 24 hour cancellation policy and had to abide by the third party booking agent policy of no refund and no changes. The few responses I received from Travlynx referred me back to the hotel full well knowing that it was their own policy that was the issue, not the motel...the bait and switch.

The motel gave me a customer service number for Innlink.com and I spoke to a very kind agent who said that what she could see on her screen stated that their were no restrictions for no refund or no changes...I informed her that my confirmation emails and limited response from Travlynx clearly showed in writing such a policy and that I needed to change the reservation to a changeable/refundable booking (however our charge card was charged the instant I pressed "book it now and save".). She was very kind and helpful and asked me to forward, to her attention, the confirmation emails and correspondence I got from Travlynx and that she would go over it and get back to me. FINALLY I was getting somewhere...with only a few days to spare. If our plans stayed on target it would sort of all be for naught, but if they didn't I would be out the cost of two rooms.

Only she never called back. So I kept emailing her. I told them I would be writing in my blog, for Trip Advisor AND to the Better Business Bureau about this practice of theirs and there customer service. Our trip was on schedule and we ended up using the prepaid reservations. After I returned, I received altered/updated reservation confirmations that showed a 24 hour cancellation policy, and a "your ticket is closed" notification.

When I spoke to the desk clerk at the Guest House Inn I asked if there wasn't some way that they could distance themselves from this third party agent(s) since they had so many complaints about the process which would ultimately impact repeat business. She said that they had no say and no choice. I'm not sure if I were the manager that I would take that lying down. I would be pounding corporate to change their booking agents to one with above-board web site information and good and prompt customer service. I wouldn't stop until I either got them to change, or was able to handle booking through my very own website. I just don't buy that "there's nothing we can do." So...if I ever stay here again (since the stay was fine and the town is nice):

DIAL THE PHONE NUMBER FOR THE LOCAL INN AND BOOK DIRECTLY WITH THEM. For this establishment, the phone number is 208-263-2210.

We booked two rooms, one with a queen bed for two people and one with two queen beds for two people. The price was in our range (cheapish) of between $75-85 each (the double queen being slightly higher). Then there are fees and room tax and all that jazz they never include in your price quote online (and I think they should quote you the actual price you will be charged).

The place is a bit older, and the carpets and bathrooms need some remodel (flooring and carpet replacement. No wonderful views out your window. This is bare-bones basic but it was clean. Sure the log furniture is quaint, but that wasn't nearly as pretty as the photos looked online. It is an older building and the walls are thin. You will hear your neighbors and anyone talking in the hall. The windows don't open so you'll have to run the air/heat which is the noisy wall-unit type that has a fan that runs continuously. The rooms are quite small. The beds were a bit like a hammock so we sort of rolled into the hole in the center of the bed. There were only two cracker-flat pillows with no spares in the room.

When we arrived (around 9 p.m.) there were several guests drinking in the check in area outside. It gave an off vibe. Perhaps they were trying not to bother guests inside with their lively conversation. Perhaps they should have been in a bar.

It was clean, it was reasonably quiet, the price was right. The free breakfast is mostly the carb type and so we ate at a cafe (Di Luna's) in town. The TV was a flat screen with plenty of channels and the tub/shower had a curved shower curtain rod which helps one feel like they have more space in the shower. The front desk staff was pleasant. For us, clean, reasonably quiet, and affordable are our usual criteria. That and it wasn't too terribly far from the Silverwood Theme Park. The drive from the park to the motel was beautiful at dusk with a light steam forming over the green fields and a view of Ponderay Lake. The town has what you'll need...grocery stores a few restaurants and motels, coffee. I would certainly consider staying here again but would only book directly with the actual motel front desk by phone. I find booking online typically so easy and convenient and this was the second nightmare experience I've had (the first was a dive in Portland Oregon that charged us a deposit because of the third party booking).

I learned to pay closer attention to if it is the actual chain or motel or if it is a third party booking agency and to read read read and read some more before hitting send. Travlynx and InnLink should be thoroughly ashamed of their website and their customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cherthejoy
CinthiaR, General Manager at FairBridge Inn & Suites - Sandpoint, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
I am so sorry to hear of your booking experience. Your comments are true, we have little control over 3rd party internet sites therefore it is always best to call the hotel directly to get exactly what you need. The hotel has been remodeled two years ago, therefore everything is new except for the building itself. It was built as a Super 8 quite a while ago, therefore the walls are built of their structure.
Redmond, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We spent 2 nights at the GuestHouse Intl in Sandpoint, an add-on trip to Hoopfest. GHI does offer large, family-friendly rooms, so we were excited to find something that could accommodate our group of 7.

Unfortunately, through our 2 night stay I was very unimpressed with the level of cleanliness in the hotel as well as the less than helpful attitude from the front desk staff. Our King room was not cleaned after the first night, and the blond woman at the front desk was less than sincere in her apologies for the lack of clean towels, coffee service, etc. She offered the curious explanation, "please understand, we only have two housekeepers, and were nearly full last night", and, "we usually don't vacuum the room for stayovers". When I told her I was very unhappy to be waiting for towels at 10pm she offered a classic non-apology, "I'm sorry you feel that way". The carpets in the hallway also looked soiled, and the rear staircase was disgustingly dirty. The breakfast nook is small and the tile floor very sticky (even at 6am) and one waffle maker was broken (I note a similar comment about the broken waffle maker in a review a week earlier). The plastic cutlery was placed upside down in the basket, so every person who reached for a fork ended up touching the tines of all the other silverware. Little stuff, I know, but all evidence in my mind of a property in decline.

The hotel was potential, but it appears the hotel management and staff simply are not focusing on providing the right experience that could invite return visits. We do plan on making an annual trip to Sandpoint, but I'm afraid we'll be looking at other lodging options next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chris h
Thank you for your recent response of your stay with us. We are so disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. We have already held a full housekeeping training from the corporate office and are inspecting the rooms twice a week from the corporate office and management everyday. The nice thing about your complaint, all of it can be fixed over night.

Travellers are raving about these Sandpoint hotels

Horseshoe Bend, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This was the third separate Guesthouse Inn & Suites we stayed at this week on our northern Idaho trip.....and it will be our last. We spent two nights here, and after the previous debacle we endured at the Guesthouse Inn in Coeur D Alene, we felt the experience could go nowhere but up....boy, were we wrong.
This motel is conviently located on Highway 95, not in Sandpoint, but actually in Ponderay, near the turn-off to Schweitzer ski area. There is fast-food restaurants, Wal-mart, and Home Depot all within a few blocks. This unit is two stories, with no elevator. There is one ice-maker in the whole motel, and it is located on the upper floor at the front. The breakfast area is laid out in a 12'x 12' cubicle, and when you get 3-4 families in there trying to grab food, it is total chaos. The waffle maker was gummed up with previously cooked waffle residue which made it impossible to use. There are four tables for eating breakfast, and when you have fifty hungry guests at 8 am.....well, you do the math. Our second day there, the maid 'forgot' to clean our room, which required us to do it ourselves.
This motel allows dogs, which gave it the kennel effect. We had one guest down the hall have their (large) dog laying out in the hallway, which required you to step over him to use the hallway. Other guest's dogs were barking at us as we walked through. The biggest issue is that the walls in this motel are paper-thin...we were awoken each morn around 6am by other guests talking/laughing in the hallways....someone/something actually fell against our door our last morning there. When we went to check out, we waited about 10 minutes for the clerk, who never appeared, so we just left. Spend $20 more per night and enjoy a quality motel elsewhere. We won't be back....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank flyingfools
Thank you for letting us know of your frustration while you were at the hotel. I remember you quite well and you are correct that we forget to clean your room, our housekeeping accidently overlooked it. We did discount your room and you seemed very happy with that. We do apologize for the manner's of some dog owners. We will have our front desk walk the property hallways more often to make sure everyone is being considerate of each other and there space. The breakfast room does seat 20 people and we do have additional space in the living room area of the lobby. When summer comes and the hotel is full, it does get quite full quickly. Thanks again for sharing your concerns so we know how to improve.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Decided to stay here due to trip advisor reviews. Pleasantly surprised! Rooms are clean and comfortable. Nothing plush, but I didn't expect it for the extremely reasonable price. For the low cost you still get coffee in the room, shampoo, hair dryer, breakfast too! Surpassed my expectations! Staff was very nice and helpful. Requests for reviews/feedback are in the room for you to complete. I'd recommend if you are looking for a nice place to stay without the fancy price tag.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MaverickKruse
CinthiaR, General Manager at FairBridge Inn & Suites - Sandpoint, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have very clean rooms and great rates this time of year. We feel that our guests deserve a variety of amenities for a great cost that wont hurt the pocket. See you soon.
Bellevue, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We needed a place to stay on our way through and thought "It's only one night". The rooms are only around $60 and are clean and comfortable. If you want fancy this isn;t the place for you, but if you need a decent, reasonably priced place-this is perfect. Staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't have the breakfast, but it appeared to be waffles, boiled eggs and fruit. Like I said, nothing fancy, but certainly more comfortable than I expected for the price.

Room Tip: I would see if you could get a room on the side of the inn that doesn;t face the highway. I could se...