“Yikes...”
Review of JR Inn

JR Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soda Springs
JR Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Soda Springs B&B and Inns
Texas
“Yikes...”
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I couldn't find anything else, and it was a bit on the scary side. My room smelled like rodents, and it was confirmed when a fairly large rat ran over my feet while I was sleeping. If I was desperate, I might stay there again, but only if I had some pepper spray. Train was right behind the building, so if you're a light sleeper, you might want to try elsewhere. Sorry I didn't have any better news...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank notalota

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Utah
Reviewed 6 August 2008

It was a Monday night at the end of July and we had difficulty locating available rooms for the upcoming Friday in the Montpelier, Lava Hot Springs area. I was grateful to find two rooms at the JR; and even more grateful still for their spaciousness and new perfect sleeper mattresses. My DH was put off by the "no AC" signs but as it turned out none of the town lodging had AC as the hot season is quite short there. Our rooms were West facing and warm at checkin. But, by the time we returned from the Carabou County Fair Rodeo, it was comfortable.

The JR Inn is an early 60's ranch style motel with no breakfast, internet, or other such amenities. But, it was clean, nicely kept up with new beds, carpeting and tiled bathroom. The TV and remote control worked well with many stations to choose from. I personally loved the extra large rooms and what remained of the early 60's modern styled wood furnishings.

Price was low enough to compensate (abt. $60 dbl Queen handicapped room) for any lack of modern features. Alarm clock worked well. I also looked at the Caribou which wasn't as nice. JR is much more updated. The third intown choice is the Historic Enders Hotel which is by far the nicest lodge in the County as it is beautifully restored with views of the geyser, a captivating museum and excellant restaurant. The price at Ender's at abt $100 night is well worth the beauty therein. But, if budget matters, then JR gets 4 stars.

I would definately suggest this area to Yellowstone - SLC commuters as it is a nice halfway point with interesting attractions and scenic drives nearby. We especially liked passing through Jackson, skirting the Tetons and following the Snake to Pallisades where we headed West into the tiny town of Freedom on our Southbound journey to SLC.. The scenic drive through the towns of Freedom and Henry floored us. We passed two resevoirs (Henry and Blackfoot?) and the most beautiful country around. But, the best part of this route, is that we were spotting houses the way we would deer. There just weren't any. It was the strangest thing. Beautifullly sculpted trees and fields with gigantic cattle ranches, but no people.

Then, there were the historic markers. This is both Oregon trail and Mormon Pioneer trail area. We were entranced to read about all the gold taken out of the area, and interested to pass the potash mine. My DH pointed out from in-town the molten material being poured onto the slag hill. Far enough away to not blight the area, close enough to make you feel like you are looking at a Hawaiian volcanoe.

Best part of the trip through Soda Springs was the day trip to Historic Chesterfield. A remote time capsule of a town being restored to its late 1800's splendor. A time when peolpe traveling the Oregon trail stopped to trade at the large and thriving Mormon settlement. I was impressed by the stories our onsite tour guides told and the kindnesses they showed every member of our group. These guides were descendants of the early town inhabitants and had invested their time and money to revive what had nearly become a ghost town as a tribute to honor and remember their ancestors. Upon arriving home I opened the Bible to Isaiah 58:12 and read, "And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breech, The restorer of paths to dwell in." I believe that this (whether they realise it or not) is what these good people are doing. They should be supported in it. I had a better experience here than "This is The Place Park" in SLC, not because it is bigger or better, as it may not be, but it just felt better. These people really care.

Between Soda and Chesterfield we stopped in the very interesting and soon to become a ghost town, Bannock. A great place to photograph the old paintings on the long defunct hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to find the old soda fountain still serving icecream for 75 cents a single scoop and handscooped "Farr better" icecream milkshakes for under $2. The owners looked as old as the town. Definately a trip back in time!

Great vacation. JR Inn is a great place to stay. Soda Springs is the perfect overnight local for one of the most Historic and scenic parts of our great Country! Enjoy it!

• Liked — The funky 60's modern sign and location across from the drive-in! The short and pleasant walk to see pelicans at the lake.
  • Disliked — No internet or breakfast in the lobby, but as Popeye would say, "It is what it is"; and I liked it that way.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Kodiak Mountain Resort
No photo provided
Caribou Lodge
#2 of 3 in Soda Springs

Been to JR Inn? Share your experiences!