“This place is a Slam Dunk”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swan Valley
Natural Retreats South Fork Lodge
Charlottesville, VA
“This place is a Slam Dunk”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I work in the fly fishing travel business and have stayed at many 3-5 star fishing lodges and fished with many outfitters in my days.
I also was a guide in that area for 5 summers. With no hesitation, the South Fork Lodge is one of the best places to fish and stay I have ever experienced. The lodge is right on the river and offers beautiful views from every room. Each room is very well appointed and tastefully decorated. The food was varied, delicious and reasonably priced. The bar was such a welcoming and comfortable spot to park in the evenings. Every member of the staff was always smiling, helpful and making you feel like a new friend and their only priority…. and you are. They can easily accommodate non-angling guests with visits to Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, Jackson Hole, or arrange a variety of activities closer to the lodge.

The South Fork of the Snake River has always been a phenomenal trout fishery. I found the guides to parallel the quality of the accommodations, customer service and fishery. This August I am returning with several of my best clients.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Natural Retreats lodge on the Snake River is a well run organization . We could not have been more pleased or better cared for .
I have fished the Snake many times on my own. Camping and drifting for days on a spectacular river . Many times passing the lodge, and thinking " one day " I will get a chance to experience what Natural Retreats has to offer . That day came, last Aug I had the chance to treat my 84 yr old dad to a fantastic stay at the lodge on the Snake River . Three days that will never be forgotten , a rare chance for one more father son fishing experience .
The management team, and all the employees at the lodge are the most hard working , pleasant folks we have ever stayed with . The lodge is outstanding , clean , spacious , and very welcoming .
The guides and fly shop crew are top notch professionals . Very professional , proud and knowledgeable . Gear and boats were fantastic .
Dad and I also took advantage of the river camp, for an over night . To finish a long day on the river with a first class meal , great company , and a comfortable camp , well , it really doesn't get any better than this .
Ed Voskowsky Granby Ct

• Stayed August 2012
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Driftboat16
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We have attempted to visit the restaurant at South Fork for our Anniversary every year since I learned it existed - it has never disappointed. We were delighted to learn that they were now open year round. The view, the atmosphere, the service - everything was fabulous; they treated us like royalty. The dinner offerings are always unique and delicious. This year we returned with our daughter and her husband (who live in Seattle) for her 30th Birthday. They loved it.
Worth the drive.
One last note I must add - a few years back, I called to see if they were open for dinner yet (...they were seasonal back then); they said yes and I made a reservation. There were a couple of other tables occupied - not a lot - we found out later that they really hadn't opened for the season but were hosting a dinner for all their staff - but included us just the same because they remembered us.
Nothing else like it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Groeda
Oregon
Reviewed 23 August 2012

(I'm only reviewing the restaurant, as we did not stay here)
When travelling through the area a year ago, tired of truck stop food, the South Fork lodge came highly recommended. We stopped and could tell that This Was The Place --- only to find that a private party had rented out the entire facility for the weekend and so the restaurant was not open.

Fast forward a year later when traveling the area again --- we came without reservations on a busy night, but they fit us in. A gorgeous setting overlooking this ridiculously scenic river. We sat in a lovely high-ceilinged dining room.

Overall, they strike that difficult balance of being fine dining but in a outdoor-oriented casual setting. Service was excellent, friendly, attentive. Menu was upscale but did not overreach. My lamb was excellent. My wife's salad with trout was similarly good.

Highly recommended, and I have to imagine the lodging is excellent as well!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yamhillbilly
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I was lucky enought to stay here and definitely recommend it as a high end choice. No roughing it here, that's for sure. It is right on the Snake River approx 45 min from Idaho Falls airport, and even though the road is fairly close behind you, it was still very peaceful. Our room was very spacious as it was in one of the houses that contains several units. It had a wood fireplace and a nice balcony with great view. The food was amazing as the chef was very creative each evening. Each night we enjoyed sitting outside around the fireplace on the main deck or at the fire pit by the river.

We fished for 3 days and each day got to see a different part of the river. The scenery is beautiful and going down the river in a drift boat is a wonderful way to see it. The guides were excellent and even though it was our first time Fly fishing we got a lot of fish.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dcrose
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Had a fantastic stay at the South Fork Lodge. The lodge and rooms are gorgeous! The lodge staff could not have been nicer - they are genuinely happy, lovely people and it certainly shows in the level of service provided. The food is amazing. I think we all gained a few pounds on our trip because we could not stop eating the delicious meals. We really enjoyed the trip down the Snake River. Learning to fly fish was so much fun and the guides are all just wonderful. They are so knowledgeable about the area and it was nice to do some learning about the river and surrounding areas.

This is a wonderful way to experience the beauty of the area without roughing it, and I would recommend this trip to anyone (men or women).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank JGator_11
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We live in Idaho Falls and frequently go to the South Fork Lodge. It is an incredible place, from the rooms, to the food, to the service. Everything is first class and is never a disappoimentment. This is not a place with a lot surrounding it and a lot to do. But it is so peaceful and beautiful. You can just sit out by the river, with a fire, and have glass a wine and stare at the stars all night. My husband is an avid flyfisherman and this fishing is some of the best in the area. The lodge has many good guides.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Swan Valley
Teton Springs Lodge and Spa
Dreamcatcher Bed and Breakfast
Kasper's Kountryside Inn

Been to Natural Retreats South Fork Lodge? Share your experiences!