“Fresh & Local”

The Station
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Healthy, Grill, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Station offers you a combination of casual American fare & fine dining in a rustic setting that highlights Victor's heritage. Our spacious dining room is sure to satisfy the experience you seek whether it be a romantic candlelit dinner for two in the quiet of our atrium or a casual game-side feast at our bar; and with our free wi-fi internet, there is no place like our atrium or our deck to breathe some sun into your summer work blues. Featuring quality food with a great price point, we serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner with wine and beer as well as a full espresso bar with organic free-trade beans. Our new menu is crafted with organic herbs and spices and is gluten-free friendly. Everything is made from scratch and made to order with expediency and with care. Some items you can find are homemade bagels and baked goods, house dressings and hummus, and our fine dining menu with an Italian flare.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Enjoyed a great lunch on our way to Yellowstone. Food was great, very fresh and you could tell a difference in the ingredients, especially the tomatoes and onions. Gyros are excellent!

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Went for breakfast yesterday and wasn't that thrilled. Over the last few years I've learned to give Teton Valley restaurants plenty of time to get the kinks worked out but this place has been open going on a year and should have things a bit more figured out by now.

I will say that they've done a great job renovating the place. It looks awesome inside and out. I even remarked that the deck could be a great place for a meal this summer but had second thoughts by the time we left. They were busy when we first arrived but the place began clearing out rather quickly soon afterwards and was mostly empty by the time we were actually served which leaves little excuse for the following.

After getting a table it took at least half an hour before the server told us she was busy and it would be a minute. 15 minutes after that a very nice cook came out of the kitchen to clean our table and bring us waters and menus. We both ordered coffee and the huevos. It took another 10 minutes to get the coffee, thankfully the food wasn't far behind. Unfortunately, the food was not very good. The huevos came with sides of the same beans and rice that was also the filling in the main dish (so not very creative). Said beans and rice were bland and dry leading me to believe they had been on the steam table for a while; The cheese had been broiled for too long making it rubbery; The salsa was homemade but also bland and poorly prepared with a mix of finely diced and large mashed pieces of tomato; and the tortillas were partially overcooked on the bottom making them hard and difficult to cut through. The server didn't return to check on us or refill our coffees for quite sometime. She was obviously scattered and disorganized with the other guests too as I noticed at least 2 other tables having issues with their service as well.

Big suggestion to the management would be to better staff the restaurant in order to handle the amount of business they can accommodate. A dining room with around 12 tables, many of this which are 4 tops, should probably have more than one server on for a weekend breakfast or should at least have a stronger server who can handle multitasking.

Aside from the poor service, the food definitely needs some work. I probably won't be going back at least until I hear things have improved.

2  Thank Dana R
Rebecca H, Owner at The Station, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Dana,
I am so sorry to hear of your discontent and want to make it right by you. I must say though that I am perplexed by your account of our food. Our Huevos Verdes is one of our most popular breakfasts. In fact we sold 12 of them that morning with rave reviews, so I am unsure of why your experience was so different. That dish does not get plated with any tomato salsa, just our house-roasted poblano & tomatillo sauce which gets pureed & cooked down for several hours. We also make our re-fried beans & spanish rice in house which are seasoned with 8 different organic herbs & spices. Perhaps the blandness you are referring to is the salt content as we aim for low-sodium dishes to support the health of our community. The cheese we use is authentic Oaxacan cheese which is similar to a string cheese. Most American versions of Huevos do not use authentic cheese and so some are not accustomed to the texture. However, having lived in Mexico, I refuse to serve anything less than an authentic, fresh dish. For that reason we do not use or even have a steam table in the kitchen - everything is made to order. So I am not sure how to improve on that dish for you; perhaps you should try one of our other homemade dishes like our fresh baked biscuits & gravy or our cut-to-order country fried steak. Whatever you choose, generally our dishes do not disappoint but if personal preferences leave you wanting, all you have to do is let us know in the moment and we will be sure to make it right for you.
In terms of your service, I do apologize as we were understaffed that morning for the onslaught of over 90 breakfasts that we got hit with. Though I normally do staff the off-peak weekends with 2 servers and 1 barista/bartender, unforeseen circumstances left me with only one server and myself. So yes we were certainly short-handed and though your server is a 20 yr veteran waitress, 48 covers at a time is just too much for one server and one barista/bartender - no matter how skilled. She truly is a great waitress and regrets as much as I do that you felt neglected as she loves to connect with each customer. Despite the challenging volume, she did such a great job that everyone else left happy. One unsatisfied customer though is three too many, so I can only hope that you will forgive us. As a local resident, you know the challenges of our fluctuating seasons and that valley restaurants have to either close in the off-season or run with a limited staff. At the request of our regular patrons, we opted to remain open with a limited staff which unfortunately means we don't have as large of a pool of back-up employees to call upon. So I do hope you will come to understand this and not hold it against our establishment. Having been open for 18 months now, we are far beyond working out the kinks and have a great team that cares as much as Rich and I do about our food and our service. However, no one is immune to the occasional staffing challenge.
So please do give us a second try as I assure you that your experience was an anomaly and if you are anything less than pleased, just let us know in the moment. We are always more than willing to make it right for you and to learn from our mistakes. If you had given us this chance, I am sure you would have left with a smile on your face and planning your next meal out on our deck.
Rebecca & Rich

Reviewed 18 April 2014

What an amazing place!! They have free Wifi, great service, and wonderful Gluten Free options. The GF buns are wonderful! My boyfriend and I just moved here and we will for sure be coming back. It is very nice inside and does have a few beers on tap too. The food is all made from scratch and they really take care of you here. Also, there is a great sunny enclosed patio that is a wonderful place to sit on chilly days. Enjoy!

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Gluten free friendly! This is our new favorite place in Victor. The burgers are awesome! I got the Fury and the girlfriend got the Mushroom & Swiss. Both are to die for and don't need any condiments! Woohoo!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

They have a great evening pasta menu. I loved my meal but when we took friends back to enjoy the same meal I raved about, their pasta was too sticky/gummy. Lunches were good too but it gets really hot in the summer in their "sun room". Haven't been back since but will try again but my experience with the pasta was great.