“Classy Gem in Barrington”
Review of Barrington Country Bistro - CLOSED

Barrington Country Bistro
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hart Road
Transit: Barrington Metra 1.5 miles away.
Description: energizing the bistro tradition with contemporary flair, barrington country bistro is the new bistronomy -- bistro cuisine interpreted for today's gastronome.
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have been wanting to visit Barrington Country Bistro ever since it opened. I grew up in Barrington, but I've been living out of state for more than 30 years. I still keep tabs on what's happening in my lovely hometown, and I've been hearing a lot about Barrington Country Bistro since it opened. Finally, I had my chance!

I visited for lunch. The first thing I noticed was the fantastic staff. From the moment I entered I encountered graciousness and a staff anxious to please. Although I was dining solo, I never encountered a hint of attitude or condescension. The maitre d' offered to take my coat and check it-something you rarely see this days. On the extremely cold day I visited, this was most welcome.

My server was unfailingly pleasant and attentive without hovering. She gave an excellent suggestion for a wine to accompany my lunch. I had the walleyed pike special, and it was wonderful. The fish was cooked to just the right degree of doneness, and was served with a succulent sauce.

The decor is what I would describe as understated French country. There are ample windows to give plenty of light. From the moment you walk in you understand why this restaurant is such a good fit for Barrington (my fellow Barringtonians will understand).

I will definitely plan a return visit to Barrington Country Bistro. This restaurant is a wonderful addition to my hometown.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

a great find. Solid bistro food without a drive to the city. Spinach salad with warm dates is an interesting flavor combo. Steak tartar prepared table side with a deft hand. 3 generous crab cakes in the entree portion. Risotto cooked a pointe. Don't miss the truffle fries. Ice cream affogato is served with Bailey's, a little nontraditional but a sweet treat. Service is smooth. Conversational friendly. Great wine and beer selection. Good for lunch and dinner.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This restaurant has it all - great food, great service and a wonderful dining room. My husband and I go there every month for a lovely French dinner. We love the duck pate....it is the best we have found locally. The wine selection is good and the wait staff is knowledgeable about the wines available. They have a prix fixe selection that is reasonably priced. As we go often, the servers know our preferences and always greet us by name. I would recommend this restaurant if you are celebrating a special occasion or if you want some really good food! I would like to see the menu change a little more often - but that is my only suggestion.

1  Thank lfh0521
Reviewed 13 October 2013

OK, so here is the bottom line. This is a great place for a special occasion or just a fun evening out for dinner. Wonderful menu selections for appetizers, salads, entrees, dessert. We all enjoyed everything we ordered. Portions are a nice size but not too big. Wine list is OK but not inspiring. We brought our own wine for a reasonable $20 corkage fee. Service was reasonably attentive. Meal service was at a nice pace for a leisurely time with good friends.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Great French Food without being pretentious. A small number of very well prepared entrees. The appetizers all look great. We had between the four of us the Lobster Risotto(with actual pieces of lobster), the ravioli, and the French Onion Soup. All of them excellent. Each of our entrees was prepared to perfection, and tasted outstanding. For desert the Thin Apple Tart with Ice Cream was great. The restaurant is not cheap, but not over priced for what you get. The service and ambiance were fantastic. We will definitely go back again. Reservations are a must. A slice of Paris in Barrington.

3  Thank CubFan1948