“Good hospitality”

Americas Best Value Inn Barrington
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barrington
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We made reservation to stay one night on 1/17/2014. Room with 2 beds.
Upon arrival we asked for upgrade.
Mr. Vincent promptly accommodated us to much better room for no charge.We were very satisfied and appreciate very much.

Room Tip: In winter time is better to stay at rooms inside the building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 November 2013

King size bed was real comfy...room decor in need of repair...towels were horribly rough and way too small for a shower use. Donuts and white bread and raisin bran cereal didn't match what we expect from America's Best Value Hotels elsewhere...not much effort given to continental breakfast here! Where's your waffle maker??

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Fortunately, this wasn't my first stay at an ABVI property. If this had been my first ABVI visit, I wouldn't have ever chosen to stay at another.

The air conditioning didn't work, the door lock was questionable, and the mattresses needed to be replaced long ago. But the worst part was the bathroom. The area that housekeeping could see when in the bathroom with the open was not very clean. The tub was stained and the corners at the base of the wall were scuzzy. Even worse, housekeeping didn't bother to clean behind the door. There was a used bar of soap on the floor, along with hair from a prior occupant on the floor behind the door. Ick.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
ashpatel24, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We would like to sincerely apologize for your experience at our property. There is never an excuse for those issues. Thank you for taking the time to inform us of these issues and we would like you to know that we have shown all of your comments to our staff and are taking steps to make the improvements needed. Please visit us again in the future to see the improvements we have made. Thank you

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Okay I was writing some other reviews and decided to give the final review of the other 3 days I stayed. The new room I obtained was okay. However, the hall going to the new room was straight out of Alfred Hitchcock. The lights lined the right and left wall and the fixtures had to be 40 years old if not older. They were these 1960s inverted triangles. Now here is the creepy part. When you get to the second floor the entire hall is pitch black. They have a motion detector hooked up to the lights so once you move all the lights turn on starting from where you are and then moving down the hall. The bulbs are low wattage so it give a real creepy affect. There is a window air conditioner in the hall, and the floor around this is filthy. It was never cleaned in the 4 days I was there. The hall in general was filthy, but near the air conditioner it was real real filthy.

The second day I was there while walking past the office I noticed this weird little transvestite midget arguing with the desk clerk. A cab had taken him to the hotel and it looked like he had all of his belongings in the cab, as in the entire cab and the truck were filled with trash bags of his cloths..

In a twisted sort of way I found the hall and the midget very entertaining. It was like I was in some B rated movie. I was waiting for the Zombies to jump out and try to eat my brain, but it never happened., also given the environment I would have expected hookers and drug uses, but there where none. I guess that was a plus. Perhaps I should have rated it 2 stars.

Cheers.

Room Tip: Sleep outside, it will probably be better.
Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank J S

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments. We actually use our guests comments to make improvements at our property. In an attempt to save energy, we did have motion sensors installed, but due to comments from our guests like you, we have removed the sensors and the lights are on all the time. As far as the little person you are referring to, we would just like you to know that we do not discriminate against little people or any other type of person at our establishment. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I came here to stay here for a week. I got a descent room but for the money, I would have expected something better. The management is very good at taking the money but that's about it. The area is patrolled by the police and is quiet for the most part with the train depot behind the establishment along with a park and golf course. My only complaint with my room was the bed was sagging and not very comfortable at all especially for the money. The walls were dirty, doors need to be replaced, furniture just absolute garbage. The bathroom was descent but seriously for the money there are better places around than this. The fitness room does not even exist and the cleaning crew is thorough but very unprofessional in a weird way.

Room Tip: get a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Knighttravelmd
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Got this hotel from Expedia.com it said hotel has jacuzzi tub and it does not. Place was nasty, I barely wanted to shower. No fitted sheet on bed and we were sleeping on the mattress by end of the night. Expedia pics are not really what the place is. Expedia did refund me for the night and I went to another hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shwhite01
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I got fooled into paying 4 nights through Hotwire at this hotel. I only stayed the first. My room opened into an alleyway that wasn't lit well enough to feel safe. All the furniture and the carpets are worn out and should have been replaced at least 20 years ago. I think I got 4 hours of sleep while I worried about being broken into while getting woken up by a squeaky door every couple minutes. Stay somewhere else, there are dozens of better hotels within 10 miles, and don't use Hotwire!

Room Tip: Stay on the office side of the hotel if you absolutely have to stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Barrington? Share your experiences!