“Tranquil Eco Lodge”

Thala Beach Nature Reserve
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oak Beach
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Loved it here! Slept so well with only the birds interrupting complete tranquility. Service generally very good and attentive. A problem we encountered was transport to Port Douglas, the hotel depends on the service of an airline shuttle bus and it can be unreliable, meaning you are pretty much marooned at the lodge or have to pay $55 cab fare one way.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CBarnes1

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We returned to Thala almost 7 years after we got married there. The lodge and grounds are very well maintained and the bungalows, although not that new anymore, are still very nice indeed. The main building is beautiful and the view is fantastic, unbeatable. Staff are very friendly and willing to help wherever they can. Wildlife was still around everywhere, with a large number of toads hopping around over the path (I understood they are now regarded as a pest).
We were unlucky, as was the whole of Northern Queensland, that cyclone Ita was on her way to the coast. Therefore our stay was cut short (just one night in the same bungalow as during our wedding) and we escaped Queensland before Ita struck. A pity for us, holidaymakers, who were very much looking forward to relaxing on the beach and enjoying the good things that Thala has to offer. But much more a pity for the locals, who had property damaged, crops wiped out and sustained economic damage. Fortunately nobody got killed or injured during the storm.
The evacuation of the guests was managed in a professional and relaxed way – although staff were working very hard to secure and protect all furniture and material.
It was great to be back at Thala after 7 years and renew our memories of the familiar places. We will not wait another 7 years for our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank expat_sealover
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I'm in the wrong hotel. I'm in the wrong kind of hotel. It's not the hotel's fault. My travel agent should have put me in a hotel in Port Douglas because I have been on excursions since arriving and other than the bungalow, reception and restaurant I have not been able to enjoy any of the other facilities of this huge estate. Therefore my review can only be about what I have experienced where the basics are involved and I can assure you they were to the highest standard!
The. Bungalow - Eucalypt Class. Colonial style decor in a bungalow on stilts, at treetop level. Classic design, Aicon which does the job inside while it's 33 degrees outside with 85% humidity. The huge balcony out back was well furnished. It even had an ash-tray and matches for us smokers! The bathroom - huge. Dressing Area -it has a dressing area! The bed - huge and very comfortable. Hardwood floors. Well furnished.
Reception - the friendliest staff on earth. Simple as! Had answers to all questions, no matter how stupid, added local knowledge and personal experience. Huge thanks to Frankie who drove me around on the golf buggy the night I arrived, jet lagged to hell - and back! He was delighted to transport me what turned out to be stupidly short distances, because it was dark and raining heavily and I was new. Anyone who comments that they love their job is a credit to their employer - I found one!!
The Restaurant - I am a foodie! I like to cook and eat fine food. I like to try new things but I also expect the classics to be served well. Not disappointed here and indeed impressed. The menu is on their website and I can highly recommend Lamb Ribs and Smoked Duck as mains. There are also specials on offer each evening I found. I went of to find out that they are very special! The Seared Scallops, the Tempura Oyster, the Eye Steak, the Prawns with Polenta. Quirky combinations were beautifully presented. And speaking of presentation the staff on the restaurant floor were just what I needed. Patient, well informed of the menu, knew their wines and treated me, a single guest, like a mate/friend. Little by way of formality was needed by me, I'm essentially on an activity holiday, yet they made me feel special and a bit posh! I was delighted to meet Chef, Catherine and thank her for the wonderful tastebud moments and interesting combinations.
PS. Perfect place for a romantic holiday but that's not why I was staying here. Bad Trailfinders!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MichealMacSuibhne
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It is one of the most beautiful places to stay. Individual cottages in a rain forest like setting.
Nature walks, picnic on the beach or just chill out at the resort. Day trips to the Barrier reef, rain forest etc available. Views from the restaurant are marvellous. Does not come cheap.

Room Tip: You have to tell them to clean the room. If not it is cleaned every other day
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 435kutty
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We relocated to Thala Lodge to get some improved weather from our original location in Cape Tribulation - really pleased as to our choice. Staff were excellent, friendly and very helpful. Very well kitted rooms and lovely swimming pool. The evening meals were excellent.
Location is well situated just south of Port Douglas and with a long driveway well off the main road so no noise. Only downside is the steep walk to the car park, but the hotel will willingly move your car for you.Lovely grounds with good access to the beach

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thompsons_hols
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The best place I have ever stayed at by far, service is 2nd to none! they will make you feel like a king, Location is perfect, but would recommend picking up a rental car at Cairns or Port Douglas for extra convenience and quite essential for tourist activities. The rooms are very spacious and quiet, only disappointment was that we had one bottle of champagne left when we departed after 4days. Pool was awesome and well designed and was warm still in April, Beach shack was good could be better with fresh fruit cocktails and fresh coconuts drinks , There lodge buggy was always available to shuttle you around the large complex.
Very Highly recommended place to get away from it all and relax.
M & M

Room Tip: We had rm 63 it was very secluded and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkJ9346HD
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We arrived late in the evening at the Thala Beach Lodge after initially missing our flight and then missing a turn on a roundabout and ending up 50 km from the resort. Check in went well and we slept for a few hours in our Coral Sea Bungalow before leaving for a rain forest tour in the morning. The view from the room was initially very nice. The next day we notified the resort staff about a non-working outside fan and an issue with an air conditioner. They were very helpful and quickly provided us with a different room once we brought it to their attention The room they moved us to had an even better view very close to the beach. All the resort buildings have an incredibly beautiful wood floors. The resort is nicely decorated and well landscaped with the trails and wading pools blending in to the surroundings. We had an enjoyable evening meal at the Ospreys restaurant. The menu had a nice selection and the food was very good. We received Great service from the resort staff. The Thala Beach Lodge has a magnificent secluded location and the view from the Ospreys restaurant is spectacular !!!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have forest / jungle views, there are a limited number of view rooms that see over...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peppers Beach Club
Peppers Beach Club
#11 of 42 in Port Douglas
Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa

Been to Thala Beach Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!